Newb: I have sdcard & sdcard2

Guest BigEric

Guest BigEric

Hi,

More stuff to get my head around...

I'm trying to solve a recurring "Insufficient storage available" error whenever I try to install anything and in my poking around I find that under /mnt/ I have two directories with very similar, but not exactly the same, contents. One is called sdcard and the other sdcard2.

Is this usual? I'm thinking it's a remnant from my recent ICS upgrade...

sdcard has 37 items in it. sdcard2 has 29 items. Permissions are the same, drw. Date for the directories seems to be 1970-01-01 for both of them...

I don't know enough to know if it's all benign or not... Need more enlightenment!

:-)

E

Guest BigEric

By default when you install ICS, sdcard = internal storage, sdcard2 = micro sdcard.

You can switch these around in storage settings if required.

Cyda,

Sorry, not following...

I have set the external sd card as default storage but why are the two directories so similar?

I also have a directory /sdcard as well as /mnt/sdcard and /mnt/sdcard2.

/sdcard is very similar again but content has a better date stamp: 2012

E

The phone has a built in 2GB of storage which by default is mounted as /sdcard. When you plug your own sdcard in to the phone it is mounted as /sdcard2.

There will be a lot of the same folders on both /sdcard and /sdcard2 because the internal storage would here been used by default and the folders created on first boot. When you switched your default storage to external you swapped the two mount points (/sdcard & /sdcard2) around so you phone would have recreated the folders it needs again.

Guest BigEric

The phone has a built in 2GB of storage which by default is mounted as /sdcard. When you plug your own sdcard in to the phone it is mounted as /sdcard2.

There will be a lot of the same folders on both /sdcard and /sdcard2 because the internal storage would here been used by default and the folders created on first boot. When you switched your default storage to external you swapped the two mount points (/sdcard & /sdcard2) around so you phone would have recreated the folders it needs again.

Cyda,

Ok... so best to leave things as they are? Isn't the duplication taking up space?

E

Your phone will only be using one set of those files, depending on what the default storage is set to, so as long as the default is external the files on internal are not used. If it was me I'd make sure that the default storage is set to external and then wipe the internal storage.

Guest BigEric

Your phone will only be using one set of those files, depending on what the default storage is set to, so as long as the default is external the files on internal are not used. If it was me I'd make sure that the default storage is set to external and then wipe the internal storage.

Cyda,

Ok, will do.

I discovered through app 2 SD that loads of apps were *not* on the external sd card for some reason. Moving them all got rid of the 'Insufficient storage available' error.

That error is weird as I apparently had masses of free space anyway...

Now to fix the dictionary... Ho hum...

E

• 1 month later...