Another ICS update?

Guest mattia107

Guest mattia107

Hello everyone,

Look this post of facebook user to huawei uk:

"Vodafone have approved another ics update. Have all issues been fixed including lower ringtone on ics, ascending ringtone issue, no memory management whatsover, no 2D hardware accelerated user interface as promised by Huawei and missing English dictionary.

For clarification, some report having ascending ringtone set on gingerbread and as ics doesn't have it, the sound is stuck low on updating to ics with no way to change it.

So much for the updates on what was happening. Its not keeping us updated if you say here is the rom for download. Vodafone have stated publicly they have approved a rom and passed it back to Huawei. Is everything stated above fixed and working 100% and how long will it take Huawei to release it? Will B936, the rom you released to Uk users in 'error' be upgradeable? Is it ota update or download from Huawei website?"

Who know something?

Guest unaszplodrmann

no memory management whatsover

They probably LOL'd at that. OK, the Huawei ROMs are not great, but íts not like they butchered Android and created some weird basket case.

Edited by unaszplodrmann

Guest availit

Hi all. Just bought one of these. Unlocked it, updated to ICS, all ok. Now going to install a custom ROM from here to get rid of all that vodaphone poo. Agree with Uppy (above), can't be doing with the vodaphone ICS. Any recommendations for a clean ROM without the vodaphone stuff?

I'd suggest giving INFUSION by tillaz a whirl. I'm sticking with that until CM10 is completely functional. At which point I'll take the Jellybean plunge.

Guest Davidoff59

Lol you guys. Where do you think the custom roms start from? With the exception of jellybean, most use the stock rom as a base so any improvement in the stock rom helps your custom roms.

See first post for example

I understand Tillaz puts work into it but its based on a stock rom.

This attitude annoys me. Others go chasing Huawei and Vodafone for fixes and then people slag them off. Why do that when it benefits us all?

Its a minority that is pushing for fixes which YOU and I benefit for.

Just because I don't complain to Huawei doesn't mean I would take the piss out of others for doing so when it directly benefits me at the end of the day.

Guest unaszplodrmann

Lol you guys. Where do you think the custom roms start from? With the exception of jellybean, most use the stock rom as a base so any improvement in the stock rom helps your custom roms.

See first post for example http://www.modaco.co...d-09102012-b07/

This attitude annoys me. Others go chasing Huawei and Vodafone for fixes and then people slag them off. Why do that when it benefits us all?

Its a minority that is pushing for fixes which YOU and I benefit for.

Just because I don't complain to Huawei doesn't mean I would take the piss out of others for doing so when it directly benefits me at the end of the day.

Only the complaints that correctly identify and raise a valid problem are worthwhile, the rest are counterproductive. On some occasions when big telco integrators and carriers show contempt for end users, it is not all that difficult to see why. I have complained to Vodafone and Huawei, for what it was worth, but thats not to say that I believe the ROMs they deliver are totally useless. Polarised, ill informed opinion is ten-a-penny. Like you say, all these tweaked ROMs are essentially redressed stock packages. Saying that, the kudos should obviously go to Qualcomm, Google and the Linux Foundation, not Huawei and Vodafone ;)

Guest unaszplodrmann

Firstly, attitudes like YOURS annoy me. Your sole reasoning for posting in this topic was to criticize my opinion? Pathetic.

Secondly if Huawei had never developed their broken ICS ROMs there would still be custom ICS ROMs for the ascend

You cannot substantiate that claim.

Guest tillaz

See first post for example http://www.modaco.co...d-09102012-b07/

lol, jelly bean also starts from the same place as any stock rom made by manufactures > AOSP, its just not huawei building it from source in this case

Google is behind all roms more than anyone, most of the code is google's, without AOSP there would be no CM10 or other custom roms....

Guest Davidoff59

You knew what I meant there tillaz, no disrespect was given or intended. I respect anyone that gives us a choice of roms to flash.

Uppy your opinion is your opinion but devs benefit from stock roms also so while you think its a pile of s***, it benefits you as I posted above.I stated my opinion and never said yours was wrong.

You knew what I meant there tillaz, no disrespect was given or intended. I respect anyone that gives us a choice of roms to flash.

Uppy your opinion is your opinion but devs benefit from stock roms also so while you think its a pile of s***, it benefits you as I posted above.I stated my opinion and never said yours was wrong.

i know, was just saying they all start from the same place, even CM10... and that Google makes it all possible more than anyone :)

We should make a difference between developers and modders.

most modders are developers, if you work with code to add new features etc...

unless mods develop there self...

Guest unaszplodrmann

This is another aspect in which Android varies from the rest of the open source community; every other community has developers and packagers. Developers develop and packagers package. Elsewhere, more people are generally able to handle high level scripting and minor modifications to source for particular target distros etc, so its not regarded as anything remarkable. Theres loads of us who do a bit of hacking, but we never call ourselves developers. I suppose the difference is one of literacy, although Ubuntu has changed that somewhat.

Guest unaszplodrmann

it just depends on what people do... not everything a person dose is posted on modaco, apps, games etc..

Just like any other hub in that respect, then. The thing with the entire mobile arena (Meego and company notwithstanding) is that the platform devs want application development to be as rapid and accessible as possible. The marketing guys also understand the commercial value of making people feel like they are developers. I reckon the ability gap between devs and the rest will grow as a result, but hopefully the Raspberry Pi can address this a little.

to be fair anyone that regularly creates there own stuff is a developer... after all that's what they did, develop it

i think it would be ignorant to think otherwise...

its just that there are different categories of developers, even out side of android

Guest unaszplodrmann

to be fair anyone that regularly creates there own stuff is a developer... after all that's what they did, develop it

i think it would be ignorant to think otherwise...

Well, yeah... Assuming they have a modicum of genuine understanding of the language they're using and not merely working with templates and a software suite that does most of the work.

its just that there are different categories of developers, even out side of android

Ultimately, one either knows how to use a text editor to author a piece of software, or not.

Well, yeah... Assuming they have a modicum of genuine understanding of the language they're using and not merely working with templates and a software suite that does most of the work.

what software suite dose most of the work for people ?

and i assume most people that work with android have an understanding of java