[ROM][JB][SHENDU]-04-12-2012

Guest carrthee89

Guest hippy dave

thanks, yeah i saw the cm9 test build but didn't see any details about how functional/stable it was.

bluetooth seems to work on this shendu for me too, just sent a file to the phone.

Guest Ludak021

folks saying that this is pretty good rom are just amazing. Looking at the benchamrk scores I'd say this is the...possibly the worst thing you can put on your phone next to actually bricking it.

No offense but it's experimental rom, scores are almost 50% lower then ICS/GB rom scores...it's not for everyday use unless you absolutely *must* have JB notification bar for whatever reason... :S

Edited by Ludak021

Guest kieranswhite

folks saying that this is pretty good rom are just amazing. Looking at the benchamrk scores I'd say this is the...possibly the worst thing you can put on your phone next to actually bricking it.

No offense but it's experimental rom, scores are almost 50% lower then ICS/GB rom scores...it's not for everyday use unless you absolutely *must* have JB notification bar for whatever reason... :S

i know what you mean but it doesnt actually feel that slow. faster than some ics roms

I couldn't install using cwm, i have ics: 4.0.3 , bb:2030 :

This is the end of the long log file...Any advice please?

symlink: some symlinks failed

E:Error in /sdcard/ShenDu-U8818-v2.1.2-121026.zip

(Status 7)

Installation aborted.

result was NULL, message is: assert failed: install_zip("/sdcard/ShenDu-U8818-v2.1.2-121026.zip")

Guest thejaimes111

i know what you mean but it doesnt actually feel that slow. faster than some ics roms

on benchmark (and games) the phone is ultra slower, having half score on GPU on AnTuTu

But i really like the rom :D

Guest Dazzozo

I couldn't install using cwm, i have ics: 4.0.3 , bb:2030 :

This is the end of the long log file...Any advice please?

symlink: some symlinks failed

E:Error in /sdcard/ShenDu-U8818-v2.1.2-121026.zip

(Status 7)

Installation aborted.

result was NULL, message is: assert failed: install_zip("/sdcard/ShenDu-U8818-v2.1.2-121026.zip")

This is a device bug. Reboot recovery before flashing.

Guest TestSpecimen.

I noticed people are saying this ROM is slow. That may be the case on benchmark tests but for day to day use it is extremely smooth. I actually prefer this to the current infusion ROM (just a current preference. Not dissing fusion, which is amazing and I hope continues. I haven't seen a more committed and responsive dev as Tillaz).

Problems:

1) Camera: works fine but don't bother with panorama as it is a bit rubbish. Video is pretty broken although at least it tries to work.

2) I get a random toast popup that says: "receive text messages (MMS)denyed"

The second point although not a major problem is really weird. I get this message whenever I do something that is intensive (i.e. use google now or youtube). The phone will jitter/slow a little bit then this message appears and everything goes back to normal speed. I have fiddled with the MMS settings but I can't help feeling that it has nothing to do with that anyway because of when the message appears (i.e. intensive use). Could it be Google Now? If anybody has experienced this let me know, or if you have a solution, even better. On a side note it is also strange that "denyed" is misspelt (I assume this should be "denied").

Things I like:

1) A chance to use google now

2) Smooth

3) Overclockable kernel

4) In dev options you can use long back button to kill apps (this is the thing I miss most in infusion)

As I said other that the above I have had zero problems with this ROM, and currently use it daily.

Thanks

TestSpecimen

Edited by TestSpecimen.

Guest hippy dave

the mobile data did work for me, but it also seemed to disconnect/reconnect fairly often, broke a few downloads. i got a crash turning the wifi on at least once, i got those "mms denyed" messages, there was some other stuff that wasn't quite right. was interesting trying it but i'm back on ics until there's a more stable jellybean...

Guest TestSpecimen.

My mobile data is working just fine with this ROM, and I have been using wifi all day with no problems or crashes/dropouts. Weird that people are having these problems???

Guest Ludak021

I noticed people are saying this ROM is slow. That may be the case on benchmark tests but for day to day use it is extremely smooth. I actually prefer this to the current infusion ROM (just a current preference. Not dissing fusion, which is amazing and I hope continues. I haven't seen a more committed and responsive dev as Tillaz).

have you actually tried stock ICS rom (huawei), clean some apps from it and install supercharged V6(both parts) and replace the launcher to one of your liking (before you install V6)?! Guess not...I will just tell you that I can run AlienShapes live wallpaper with packed homescreens with no lag and 30+ fps. I can open "add widget" option and scroll through widgets list in 30fps. Good luck with any of those on infusion or on plain stock rom, or god forbid this JB rom. ;)

edit: I also have very little to no lag at all at 30fps in task manager (holding down the home button to open it and scrolling through the list of apps).

I have to admit that I havent tried this (or any other JB rom on g300) but the main point of JB is butter knife (v-sync and tripple buffer to smooth responsiveness and speed of 2D animations) and seeing how this rom does not have that, it makes it a moot point over ICS that gives better scores and has everything working. news$weather in notif bar and few new animations (available already in apex and nova launchers for ICS) doesn't seem worth it imo. That is my take on this rom or any other half finished JB rom for that matter. Why do you guys think it is taking Dazzo actual time to finish CM10?

PS: Don't kill apps. Android does it for you. Inactive apps only use storage space and don't use CPU or battery. This can be tweaked but there is no need really. Complex to expalin but in short: what is not in front and being used - is not a problem. Killing apps just frees up cache, and that is not RAM, rather storage, temp one. In fact, Android kills every app after 30 minutes if it is idle and not protected or system/ protected system. People are even modding that time to 24hrs for better multitasking experience.

Edited by Ludak021

Guest Mireczech

I have these problems with Shendu 2.1.2 from 26.10.2012:

- notification LED malfunction

- sometimes, when turn on wifi, 2-3 minutes stuck and then restart

Guest TestSpecimen.

have you actually tried stock ICS rom (huawei), clean some apps from it and install supercharged V6(both parts) and replace the launcher to one of your liking (before you install V6)?! Guess not...I will just tell you that I can run AlienShapes live wallpaper with packed homescreens with no lag and 30+ fps. I can open "add widget" option and scroll through widgets list in 30fps. Good luck with any of those on infusion or on plain stock rom, or god forbid this JB rom. ;)

edit: I also have very little to no lag at all at 30fps in task manager (holding down the home button to open it and scrolling through the list of apps).

I have to admit that I havent tried this (or any other JB rom on g300) but the main point of JB is butter knife (v-sync and tripple buffer to smooth responsiveness and speed of 2D animations) and seeing how this rom does not have that, it makes it a moot point over ICS that gives better scores and has everything working. news$weather in notif bar and few new animations (available already in apex and nova launchers for ICS) doesn't seem worth it imo. That is my take on this rom or any other half finished JB rom for that matter. Why do you guys think it is taking Dazzo actual time to finish CM10?

PS: Don't kill apps. Android does it for you. Inactive apps only use storage space and don't use CPU or battery. This can be tweaked but there is no need really. Complex to expalin but in short: what is not in front and being used - is not a problem. Killing apps just frees up cache, and that is not RAM, rather storage, temp one. In fact, Android kills every app after 30 minutes if it is idle and not protected or system/ protected system. People are even modding that time to 24hrs for better multitasking experience.

I'm sure your ROM is very good but it's nice to try something different, its what keeps it interesting. You should give it a go. As for smoothness in scrolling through the things you mentioned this ROM doesn't even nearly struggle. That is actually one of the features that impressed me about it, general use is very smooth and glitch free without any stutter.

As for killing apps, I am aware that android does a good job of closing down apps, but some apps are not as efficient as they should be and might bug out. When this happens I will kill it (i.e the one I have open) because I can't be bothered waiting for it to take 5 minutes to sort itself out. I don't randomly kill stuff all the time, just when required.

Now for the interesting bit...

I mentioned before that generally there are no issues bar the camera a bit and the popup notification that reads "receive text messages (MMS)denyed". The problem with the latter is that the phone was slowing down and jittering just before the toast popup arrives, and they come quite regularly which is annoying.

I have managed to figure out that it is the superuser application that comes installed on the ROM that is causing this. So to stop it just do the following:

1) Install SuperSU from the market. Run it and follow the instuctions so it takes over as the superuser app

2) Uninstall the original superuser app that came with ROM using titanium backup (I also removed the chinese keyboard at this point as I will never use it)

3) reboot

Once this is done you will never see "receive text messages (MMS)denyed" toast popups and the associated slow down.

This is proSPAMly going to be my daily ROM for a while now.

As for people having problems with data and wifi, I'm not sure but its ok for me. I can only say that you should wipe data, cache and format system before install. If it helps some details are below:

I'm on O2

The last "dload" install I did was B944 (the spanish one) (I know that people have had problems with random reboots in infusion depending on the last "dload" install you did which is why Tillaz made the RIL available for each release)

Thanks

TestSpecimen

Edited by TestSpecimen.

Guest tcpaulh

This is my daily driver until something a little closer to home comes along ;-) It's full of JB goodness. Caller ID works instantly, no wifi or telephony freezes. It doesn't slow down over time (so far). No FC's. Feels reasonably responsive. Very frugal on the old battery. Benchmarks smenchmarks.

Perhaps the best thing about it in a twisted way is although it's perfectly useable(for me), I just know it's a pretty lazy implementation. Things will get better in other people's builds. Daz does things differently. He doesn't like to go backwards or to put a sticking plaster on a problem.