Samsung Introduces GALAXY S III Mini, a 'compact yet powerful smartphone'

Guest hecatae

Guest hecatae

SEOUL, Korea - October 11, 2012

"The GALAXY S III introduced a new concept of smartphone that has proven hugely popular around the world. We’re now delighted to bring its revolutionary design, intuitive usability and intelligence to the GALAXY S III mini in a more compact form,” said JK Shin, President and Head of IT & Mobile Communications Division at Samsung Electronics.

Here's the GALAXY S III mini Product Specifications:

• Network HSPA 14.4/5.76 900/1900/2100, EDGE/GPRS 850/900/1800/1900
  • Display 4.0” WVGA Super AMOLED
  • Chipset ST-Ericsson NovaThor chipset dual Cortex-A9 1GHz core, Mali-400 GPU, 1GB RAM
  • OS Android™ 4.1 (Jelly Bean)
  • Camera 5MP AF + LED Flash / VGA Front
  • Video H.264, MPEG-4, H.263, VC-1, SorensonSpark, WMV7, WMV8, Recording/ Playback : 720p
  • Audio MP3, AMR-NB, AAC/AAC+/eAAC+, WMA, OGG(Vorbis), FLAC
  • Additional Features Game/Video/ Readers/Music Hub, Kies, KiesAir, FM Radio (RDS), TouchWiz
  • Google™ Mobile Services Google Search, Google Maps, Gmail, Google Latitude, Google Play Store, Google Play Books, Google Play Movies, Google Plus, YouTube, Google Talk, Google Places, Google Navigation, Google Downloads
  • Connectivity WiFi a/b/g/n, WiFi HT40, GPS/GLONASS, NFC, Bluetooth® 4.0(LE)
  • Sensor Accelerometer, Digital compass, Proximity, Gyro
  • Memory 8/16GB ROM+ 1Gb RAM
  • MicroSD up to 32GB
  • Dimensions 121.55 x 63 x 9.85 mm, 111.5 g
  • Battery 1,500 mAh

Hang on, they listed TouchWiz as a feature!

Pricing for Contract and Pay as You Go is currently unknown, Clove are offering it for pre-order for around £292.80, and Vodafone UK have tweeted that they will stock it but gave no prices.

[Via: Samsung Mobile Press]

gallery_19680_3_10637.jpg

Click here to view the item

Guest Chrisund123

Sadly, it seems size and specifications go hand in hand at Samsung - totally underwhelming specs, I'd even go so far as to say the diminished specs tarnish the name of the S3.

Guest Kazekage Gaara

Is this in any way better than Galaxy S2 ? Coz I sure as hell can't seem to figure out what's better in this one compared to S2.

The reason I am asking is this is getting launched in India (where I live) at a price point of $600 US and one can easily procure a brand new Galaxy S2 over here at a price of $460 US.

I really don't see why anyone would be spending $150 more to get the inferior S3 mini.

Guest hecatae

Is this in any way better than Galaxy S2 ? Coz I sure as hell can't seem to figure out what's better in this one compared to S2.

The S2 out specs the S3 Mini, S2 has faster GPU, bigger camera, bigger screen, faster data connection.

Guest Kazekage Gaara

The S2 out specs the S3 Mini, S2 has faster GPU, bigger camera, bigger screen, faster data connection.

Exactly my point. Only a fool would spend $600 US on an inferior phone when the faster S2 is available at $460 US.

I also can't understand why Samsung has put such a high price on such an inferior phone (at least in my country).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.