Jiayu G2 Review

Guest aaroNiGHTS

Guest bolinao

Great review... just a couple of questions please.

How can you update the firmware when it becomes available ?

Does it have OTA updates available in the settings menu ?

I have been to the Jiayu website and Chinese is not my forte ,so I understood very little.

Can us English people be able to update the fw easy enough ??

thanks and my Jiayu G2 dual core should arrive tomorrow.. so excited.

Hi, Nice review.

I have seen in other places that Jiayu G2 may only support 3G on 2100, not 900. ¿Can you confirm that it has the 900 band? Usually if you enter engineer mode there is a "Bandmode" section to confirm this, although I do not know the code to enter that, on a rooted phone that should be easier...

Guest aaroNiGHTS

How can you update the firmware when it becomes available ?

Does it have OTA updates available in the settings menu ?

You can use the 'System Update' app to do a system update from Over the Air or a zip file on the SD card. Currently, there is no update available for the dual core model. If one becomes available I'll be sure to post about it here.

Hi, Nice review.

I have seen in other places that Jiayu G2 may only support 3G on 2100, not 900. ¿Can you confirm that it has the 900 band? Usually if you enter engineer mode there is a "Bandmode" section to confirm this, although I do not know the code to enter that, on a rooted phone that should be easier...

Fairly sure it supports 3G over 900mHz. I've had 3G coverage over New Zealand networks on providers that only support 900.

Interesting phone and review.

Is there an LED for missed texts/calls ?

Yep! There is a little LED next to the speaker. Blinks green when you have a new notification.

Yep! There is a little LED next to the speaker. Blinks green when you have a new notification.

Wow!!! This phone seems to have evertything, except for the kernel sources that is.

Guest kaiyoti

I just got this phone and I'm having trouble trying to connect it to ANY network. Did you have any issues with getting it to find any network? I'm not even looking to get 3g working. I'm in Canada, Bell network: UMTS/HSPA 850MHz and/or 1900MHz.

I'm putting my SIM card into the top slot correct?

Guest bolinao

Well after using the G2 for about a week now ,I must say I am dissapointed in the way the phones screen seems to resist scrolling through pages,especially going from the top of a web page to the bottom quickly.

It just does not happen quickly and you need to flick several times to get to the bottom.

It seems to resist doing this,I am use to flicking the screen and it moving lightning fast and fluently to the bottom of a page.

This is annoying enough for me to not use the phone any more.

Guest hecatae

Well after using the G2 for about a week now ,I must say I am dissapointed in the way the phones screen seems to resist scrolling through pages,especially going from the top of a web page to the bottom quickly.

It just does not happen quickly and you need to flick several times to get to the bottom.

It seems to resist doing this,I am use to flicking the screen and it moving lightning fast and fluently to the bottom of a page.

any chance you can do a video of this, wondering if you have a defective unit, whats the build date?

Guest aaroNiGHTS

Settings > Language and Input > Pointer Speed.

Max that out, or close to it. It's a strange setting!

Guest hecatae

I just got this phone and I'm having trouble trying to connect it to ANY network. Did you have any issues with getting it to find any network? I'm not even looking to get 3g working. I'm in Canada, Bell network: UMTS/HSPA 850MHz and/or 1900MHz.

I'm putting my SIM card into the top slot correct?

G2 does not support 3G 850 MHz or 1900 MHz

Dual SIM with 2G quadband 850, 900, 1800 and 1900 MHz in both SIM slots with 3G 900/2100 limited to one

Guest aaroNiGHTS

I was under the impression that G2S was just a term for the dual-core model, but it seems to be a completely new design. About the only similarity is the same sized screen. Be interesting to see what its like when it shows up!

Guest Shahmatt

I don't think there is at present. But you can still root the phone, and apparently the existing ROM is almost vanilla. Probably tweak it to the way you want with apps. :)

@ aaroNiGHTS:

Are you able to comment on the sound output quality through a good pair of headphones/earphones? Is the sound output good enough for the phone to be used as a dedicated mp3 player?

Also can you suggest what type of SD cards we should be sourcing out for? Is there an optimal micro SD speed class for this phone?

Edited by Shahmatt

Guest aaroNiGHTS

The sound quality using headphones is fairly good. I've listened to podcasts using in-ear buds and it performs well, no background static like I've heard on other devices. For SD cards, I'd go with class 6 or higher. A general rule I use for everything!

Guest Shahmatt

The sound quality using headphones is fairly good. I've listened to podcasts using in-ear buds and it performs well, no background static like I've heard on other devices. For SD cards, I'd go with class 6 or higher. A general rule I use for everything!

Thanks very much for the input.

I'm using the G2 now for a few days. I have experience with several Android phones, ranging from HTC, Sony, Sony-Ericsson to Samsungs. My last one was a Samsung Galaxy S3. I sold the S3 in anticipation of the Nexus 4.

I bought the G2 as a spare, and maybe use it with my personal and work sim in it.

I'm very pleased with the G2. It's relatively fast, the screen is fine, although the colours aren't as vibrant as I'm used to, battery life is excellent and Vanilla Android is a joy to use.

Minor issues are

- the loose button, which resonates when the phone vibrates,

- scrolling through pages isn't as fast as I'm used to, it seems to stop as soon as you take your finger off the screen

- notification lights are a bit too intense for my liking

- colours of the screen aren't as vibrant as I'm used to

Overall I think this phone is a winner:

I love the speed, the weight in my hands, the battery life, dual sim, extendible storage and untouched Android.

Guest Shahmatt

So I've got my G2 now. I purchased the unit from UGood on AliExpress. It took about 3 weeks to arrive.

The centre button appears to be scratched. I think someone skimped on quality control. I shall complain I think.

Physically everything else seems alright. The screen is very nice.

I've managed to root the device and restore my apps using Titanium Backup from my Swedish Snow 7 Orange San Francisco. Rooting was not the easiest thing to do. I followed bas-r's method here:

http://www.modaco.co...-g2-root-guide/

(see post #7 for the slight modification I had to do)

I'm having some trouble getting GPS to lock on. Using the GPS test app the sensor seems to see satellites in range but does not lock on to any. Either that or the GPS notification icon keeps blinking after a lock. It does not lock on using Google Maps either. Anyway, further investigation is needed. I've downloaded the Hardware Info app to check if the sensor is actually present but none of the entries say GPS explicitly. Can anyone comment?

Edited by Shahmatt

Guest Shahmatt

Also..

My phone language was changed to English when I received it. However when I try the ICS keyboard the phone compares against English spelling of Chinese words. For example if I type "Hi", it suggests "Hin" and "Hien" as alternatives. At all places in the "Languages and Input" section I've tried changing to "English (United States)" but to no avail. I'm not sure how to fix the problem. Will use a third party KB for now.

Edited by Shahmatt

Guest aliaird

Mine arrived today! Just charging up the batteries (got a spare, with charger!) at the moment, but could resist turning it on. All has been in English (US) from the start which makes life a little easier.

Is there an easy way to confirm that mine is the Dual Core version that I ordered?

BTW I dont have any scrolling issues as mentioned above. Mine seems to behave much the same way as my Blade.

Root next I think! .

Guest Al_1604

In 'About Phone' there should be something (still waiting for mine so can't be specific).

If it mentions the Processor, the MKT6575 is single core and MKT6577 is dual core, otherwise, if the kernel has 'SMP' in the name that should indicate a 'symetrical multi-processor' kernel.

Can't wait for mine to arrive.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.