Jiayu G2 Review

Guest aaroNiGHTS

Guest Shahmatt

@ Al_1604

Have you rooted your device? Could you tell me which app you used to get the screenshot that you've posted? I've tried a few and they don't seem to work.

I feel another Double Facepalm coming along!

Edited by Shahmatt

Guest Al_1604

Hi Shahmatt, I rooted using the 'One click root' http://www.modaco.co...-guide/��method (but had difficulty with the ADB driver - eventually got that bit working from the other listed root method ).

Screenshot is a standard ICS thing, just hold vol down and power at the same time for a second or so (you'll see when it's taken the screenshot). :)

Edited by Al_1604

Guest FrankieADZ

Hi Shahmatt, I rooted using the 'One click root' http://www.modaco.co...-guide/��method (but had difficulty with the ADB driver - eventually got that bit working from the other listed root method http://www.modaco.co...-g2-root-guide/ ).

Screenshot is a standard ICS thing, just hold vol down and power at the same time for a second or so (you'll see when it's taken the screenshot). :)

have you tried the Dual Sim yet?

Im just wondering will it take 3 3G sims thats all :)

Guest Shahmatt

Hi Shahmatt, I rooted using the 'One click root' http://www.modaco.co...-guide/��method (but had difficulty with the ADB driver - eventually got that bit working from the other listed root method http://www.modaco.co...-g2-root-guide/ ).

Thanks very much. I didn't know this about ICS. Must learn about the new features.

Guest Al_1604

have you tried the Dual Sim yet?

Not yet, sorry - waiting for a new SIM in post.

Im just wondering will it take 3 3G sims thats all :)

To take a liberty and deliberately misread this: No, there's no room for 3, it'll only take 2 sims! :P

Only tested with O2, sorry, and my other sim will be giff-gaff (also O2 network), I've never used Three network.

Guest FrankieADZ

Not yet, sorry - waiting for a new SIM in post.

To take a liberty and deliberately misread this: No, there's no room for 3, it'll only take 2 sims! :P

Only tested with O2, sorry, and my other sim will be giff-gaff (also O2 network), I've never used Three network.

ah ok, Im tempted to get 1 now :wacko:

i cant be bothered to wait for the G2S lol

Guest Shahmatt

ah ok, Im tempted to get 1 now :wacko:

i cant be bothered to wait for the G2S lol

Your experience will depend on what level you climb up from. I've just retired my Orange SF and this upgrade feels ridiculously good to me. There's no need to tweak and fine tune anything and I still get great performance. Sooooo much powerrrr!!

Btw, have any of you guys noticed how insanely loud the speaker gets? Did they put a car alarm in there? I'm not sure how it compares with the competition but this is a very loud phone.

Also, the phone sound output through ear/headphones seems really good.

Edited by Shahmatt

Guest FrankieADZ

Your experience will depend on what level you climb up from. I've just retired my Orange SF and this upgrade feels ridiculously good to me. There's no need to tweak and fine tune anything and I still get great performance. Sooooo much powerrrr!!

Btw, have any of you guys noticed how insanely loud the speaker gets? Did they put a car alarm in there? I'm not sure how it compares with the competition but this is a very loud phone.

Also, the phone sound output through ear/headphones seems really good.

Ive got a G300, while its good, i just want a dual sim mobile, which isnt gonna break the bank.

and the Jiayu phones seem affordable and good at the same time

Guest aliaird

Mine arrived about a week ago now so I thought I would feed back my experience.

Like Shahmatt I retired my Orange SF/Blade to get this, and it is like chalk and cheese. This really flies. Apps like Chrome work really quickly and well, and its good to be able to play Temple Run! :-)

I managed to root it easily enough using the Oneclick route, so that was good news.

My build quality seems pretty good. I dont have a loose home key, mine fits perfectly. My only gripe is the difficulty i have in getting the battery cover off, the fit is very tight. I need a flat headed knife or similar to put in the gap and twist to open it. Fortunately, whilst I bought an extra battery and desktop charger, the battery is so large I've never felt the need to replace it mid day. I do like to pop in my work SIM in there at the weekend though so I can take calls, so simpler opening would be appreciated. I imagine it will loosen up over time.

Whilst on the subject of batteries, I tend to use the phone for its data rather than phone abilities, so when I use it I tend to hit it hard, but I think I'd struggle to see out the battery in a day. It seems to 'lose' about 10% in the first 10 minutes of the day then slow right down. Today I'm 8 hours in and 63% battery, and have been using it on and off all day for twitter, internet etc.

I'd read about vibrate being insanely loud. I don't find it too bad at all. If its in my pocket it's fine, if it is on the desk then sure you can hear it, but you will any phone on vibrate.

The camera boots up and snaps about 100 times faster than my Blade, and pic quality looks great, helped no doubt by a nice bright big screen!

The ICS is plain vanilla aside from a couple of apps which I have deleted with Titanium Backup, and nothing seems to have suffered.

It all seems to 'just work'. I'd love a CM Jelly Bean Rom to play with, and to have Nandroid back ups etc, but I'm happy with what I have for now.

I read someone who said they could not scroll easily. I don't have that problem, I can flick Tweetdeck and it go on for ages scrolling down. I haven't tweaked any settings, it just works OK for me as is.

Ther's my 2 cents for now! I'm really happy with it!

the MT6589 chip is a 28nm quad core 1.2ghz cortex a7 with very nice SGX graphics. I'm sure phones using that will be out within a few months. Battery life should be great due to 28nm and also a7 is lower power too.

Guest Shahmatt

Ive got a G300, while its good, i just want a dual sim mobile, which isnt gonna break the bank.

and the Jiayu phones seem affordable and good at the same time

This would be a solid upgrade over the G300. I noted the following about a month back at the G300 forums:

1. A 1GHz Dual core CPU as opposed to the single core on the Huawei

2. A 2000mAh battery as opposed to 1500mAh

3. Dual sim capability

4. A 4" IPS screen as opposed to regular TFT (though admittedly some may consider this a disadvantage)

5. 1GB RAM vs 512MB

6. Almost vanilla ICS to start

However I was just looking at the Antutu benchmark scores on the Nexus 4, LG Optimus G and Samsung Galaxy Note II over here: http://www.engadget....nexus-4-review/

(scroll down to table)

I was quite interested to note that the Antutu scores are all 10,000 plus. The Jiayu, despite its lower resolution screen etc. only scores slightly more than 5,000 (well at least mine does anyway). The Nexus 4 is about 80% more in terms of price but you get a 100% better performance (battery life as well, though admittedly it does not have the dual SIM feature).

My Blade scored 1,600 on Antutu. So the move to the Jiayu means I get a phone that's about three times faster. But today's midrange stuff are still twice as fast as the G2.

Assuming that the CPU is the limiting factor, and if Jiayu begins releasing quadcores very soon and even if the prices were 50% more than current, I think the value proposition would be tremendous.

Edited by Shahmatt

Guest Shahmatt

I am so sad, I received the mobile phone on wednesday but had no time to play around with it, so I just opened the package and powered the phone up. After that I decided to charge the battery and I did that. Unit was off until today, when I set up the mobile phone, put in the sim card and it worked fine...Until I installed navfree and when I statred up navfree, the device started to show GPS icon top left, after that the screen went black and the phone does not power up any more. Battery was at 84% at the time. I do not know what to do. I took out the battery and left it out for an hour, than reinserted it and tried to power up the mobile. Nothing. I tried to put it on the charger...without battery, the phone does not power up. Also it does not charge or show the charging light neither green led or yellow led on the mobile phone.Any ideas would be much appriciated. Is there another way to charge the battery? Perhaps the battery died? Would the phone start up pluged to the charger, can someone confirm/test that? Kind regards

Btw, Aliexpress does not pay the merchant until you confirm that goods have been received in the expected condition. So go ahead and open a dispute if the phone doesn't work.

Edited by Shahmatt

Guest Al_1604

The Jiayu, despite its lower resolution screen etc. only scores slightly more than 5,000 (well at least mine does anyway). The Nexus 4 is about 80% more in terms of price but you get a 100% better performance (battery life as well, though admittedly it does not have the dual SIM feature).

Mine scored 5535 and on the tester app bar-chart it's placed above Google Nexus S, HTC EVO 3D, Amazon Kindle Fire & LG Optimus 2X and not far behind Samsung Galaxy SII, Samsung Galaxy Nexus & Samsung Galaxy Note - still looks OK for the price to me.

Best thing though is that I just like the phone, it does everything I want (pretty well too) and, so far, no problems of any significance. (Auto-brightness is a bit crazy though, just turned it to manual about 70%), I find the vibration level on mine perfectly OK (but I disabled 'buzzy button feedback' in favour of 'sound feedback'), and yes - the back is a bit of a bugger to remove but I suspect it would be one of the few phones where the back would likely stay on most times if it were accidentally dropped.

Edited by Al_1604

Guest h@mster81

Hi All,

Can anyone please confirm if it has compass and G sensor?

Also is there a big difference performance wise between 512MB and 1GB.

Apparently price has gone up in last couple of weeks. :(

Guest Shahmatt

Hi All,

Can anyone please confirm if it has compass and G sensor?

Also is there a big difference performance wise between 512MB and 1GB.

Apparently price has gone up in last couple of weeks. :(

Compass: Well I guess so since when I use the GPS Status app the it can find North easily.

G - sensor: Assuming you mean accelerometer then yes. The screen rotates from portrait to landscape and vice versa automatically.

@ AI_1604,

Some folks say that my voice sounds faint on the other end. I'm wondering if my microphone is faulty. Do you have any problems with your microphone?

Guest leopesto

I've just ordered a Jiayu G2 mtk6577 512mb (I think it is the one called popular version) from aliexpress and I'm waiting for delivery from sweden post,

I'll share the things I found this days searching in chinese and russian forums...

Lewa OS official supports the G2 in all his versions, also a recovery is available, did someone tried it?

last thing I discovered is that apkhot just made a MIUI version for mt6577 phones and they're publishing a beta this 30 november for this phones:

- jiayu G3

- jiayu G2 standard (I think it's the 1gb ram version)

- Amoi N820

- ZTE V970

- UMI X1

Leo

Guest h@mster81

Compass: Well I guess so since when I use the GPS Status app the it can find North easily.

G - sensor: Assuming you mean accelerometer then yes. The screen rotates from portrait to landscape and vice versa automatically.

Thanks.

Guest Al_1604

@ AI_1604,

Some folks say that my voice sounds faint on the other end. I'm wondering if my microphone is faulty. Do you have any problems with your microphone?

No problems here :)

May be worth trying a factory reset?

Edited by Al_1604

Guest Shahmatt

No problems here :)

May be worth trying a factory reset?

A setting issue do you think? Hmm alright I'll have a go. Backup apps and data using Titanium I suppose before doing this?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.