Jiayu G2 Review

Guest aaroNiGHTS

Guest leopesto

My G2L (popular version / mtk6577 with 512mb ram) came today and it has been delivered to switzerland in 8 days with sweden post... super!!

the phone is great, the only bad thing I've noticed is that wifi have lots of "timeouts" (there are several times when I've to wait 'till it works again)...

Leo

My G2L (popular version / mtk6577 with 512mb ram) came today and it has been delivered to switzerland in 8 days with sweden post... super!!

the phone is great, the only bad thing I've noticed is that wifi have lots of "timeouts" (there are several times when I've to wait 'till it works again)...

Leo

Why didn't you get the 1gb ram version? It's only £95 on fastcardtech. My brother just brought, and received his a few weeks ago.

Guest leopesto

Why didn't you get the 1gb ram version? It's only £95 on fastcardtech. My brother just brought, and received his a few weeks ago.

I've ordered from aliexpress... the 1Gb costs 30$ more it's 22% more :)

edit: in fastcardtech I see that the 512mb is 99£ and the 1gb 112£... and the value pack isn't included... I've paid 140$ (87£) for mine and with the security of aliexpress... ;)

Edited by leopesto

Guest leopesto

Hi, about to buy one of these. Does the GPS works well? Some reports of problems above.

Thanks.

I've read about some problems with the gps and a working fix... but my phone's gps (kernel and build of 17 oct 2012) seems to work very well... he founds me within 20meters, can't understand where is the problem, maybe the fix has been integrated in my build, I hope so... :)

Guest Al_1604

G2S has 20% faster processor, 4" 960 x 540 'full fit' screen (there are suggestions that it may change to a 720p screen in the future), alloy metal 'border', 9.9mm thick compared to 10.6 for the G2, no physical 'home' key.

Battery will be 2200mAH (interchangeable with the G2 2050mAH one).

[source: bbs.ejiayu.com]

IMO a nice looking phone.

161443nn4t40gfjfj7z0b9.jpg

Edited by Al_1604

Guest steva878

Hi Guys!

I have another chinese phone name it star a1200. My only bad experience this type of phone the micropohone volume is low..when i talking somebody in the street our noise places.. the microphone is quite. so it is very annoying..:S

I plan to buy g2 but my question is..what is the experience about the microphone? The microphone can provide normal volume level?

Guest Al_1604

Personally I have no problem with the microphone level. I think I had one occasion when someone said they couldn't hear me and I found I was covering the microphone with my hand.

On another point, I'd recommend the 'desk charger' and two batteries option, this seems to charge better than charging in the phone (battery shows 100% after a charge and doesn't suddenly drop), I currently have 26% indicated after 2 days and 16 hours (standard 2050mAh battery), that's running with 2 sims with wi-fi & bluetooth on permanently (3G data off most of the time).

Guest venedesign

Leo

Hello, I have the same problem with my G2, the wifi have many timeouts, I can't have a goo connection for more than 1 minutes.. Have tried many thing, but nothing work. If you find a solution, please tell me.

Thanks

Regards

Guest corey2k

my wifi works, but only within abut 3 metres of my router. If i go further away the connection drops out.

On the Jiayu BBS, people are saying that the connection to the 2.4ghz aerial isn't very good, you need to open the back, bend out some connectors and close it again.

I tried opening mine, but i can't get the inside back off, i took out the 4 screws, but it's really tightly clipped in. has anyone got the back of their phone.

Here's a link to the thread with the images of the inside of the phone:

http://bbs.ejiayu.com/thread-351888-3-1.html

Guest corey2k

It's just those 2 little nubs above the camera.

I had a second attempt at opening my phone, but I can't get it to go. I'm sure I just need to pull it a little harder, but i don't want to damage my brand new phone

post-1001465-0-45864000-1355774814_thumb

Guest Waldorf

Got one of these phones today. Seems really good except for a problem with GPS. I just can't get it to lock on to any satellites. Using GPS Test it says that there are 11 satellties within range but it just never locks on to any of the satellites. I have GPS and every other location tool switched on.

Anyone got any ideas to solve this? GPS is crucial to me so this is a potential dealbreaker. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Guest Shahmatt

Got one of these phones today. Seems really good except for a problem with GPS. I just can't get it to lock on to any satellites. Using GPS Test it says that there are 11 satellties within range but it just never locks on to any of the satellites. I have GPS and every other location tool switched on.

Anyone got any ideas to solve this? GPS is crucial to me so this is a potential dealbreaker. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I used the GPS status app and used the "download/reset A-GPS" feature, and it seemed to help. Sometimes the GPS locks on quickly. At other times it's much slower.

Sometimes switching off and on the GPS EPO assistance also helps.

I have not found a strong solution to the problem yet. I rely on GPS a lot too and this has come my main problem with this phone. Hopefully a decent solution will be found soon.

Guest zazoupazou

Thanks for the review. Partly on its strength I bought 2 x 512MB Dual Core for my parents for Xmas to free them from the tyranny of the feature phone.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-4-0-MTK6577-Dual-Core-mobile-phone-Jiayu-G2-1GB-512MB-4GB-1-GHz-0/675583398.html

Cost around £100 landed in UK with DHL (best carrier), inc extra battery, case and screen-protector. Got here after one false start - they got caught by a battery spot check on their way out and had to go back for some ridiculous volume of paperwork (never had this before and everything I've brought in from China has a Li battery). Took around a week in total, rather than a few days.

Only used a little, but very impressed with the specs and build quality. I think the size and weight is quite decent.

The trick to get the back off is to insert a credit card in the slot on the base - an intentional design feature I assume, which works well.

Mine also did not have a wobbly home key.

I will let you know how my parents got on using them for a while.

It's just those 2 little nubs above the camera.

I had a second attempt at opening my phone, but I can't get it to go. I'm sure I just need to pull it a little harder, but i don't want to damage my brand new phone

Hey, I cannot find those pics on the Jiayu bbs. Do you mind posting them here? I need to open my phone for a screen replacement. I will take pictures, but will wait until I receive my newly ordered dual sim phone.

Just in case ;)

After some clicking around, I found the correct thread. Since that bbs is so slow, I pulled the pics. Can be downloaded here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/669141/Jiayu%20G2.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.