Phonebook transfer via Bluetooth

Guest retsil

Hi all

My Dad has the Duo phone and a 2012 Ford Focus, when you connect the phone via bluetooth it works as a handsfree kit, but the phonebook doesn't transfer over. (Even though the phone getsa PBAP request and it's been accepted and told to remember my selection)

Has any one else experianced this? (It must be the phone software as my Galaxy S3 connects and transfers the phonebook fine.)

Guest adrenalize_

The Bluetooth implementation on the Gallant is not great - I can pair but not get the audio routed through the car at all on an inbuilt BMW handsfree system let alone the phonebook!

Whilst the handsfree unit is 'old' and nigh on impossible to get software updated it does work correctly with other Mediatek powered phones I've tried.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jaarvin

Ford use PBAP and RSAP ! Dual SIM does not matter in that case (anyway you can specify which SIM would be converned by RSAP)

Sometime it works and you will have phonebook transfert for a few days (but not phone list : missed call, laast calls, etc) !

Anyway after a few days your bluetooth stack will die and you will have to remove the battery to fix it and bye bye phonebook !

My Ford audio works with ALL my phone (even a Iphone V1) except GALLANT DUO

crap phone :-(

Guest jaarvin

Bluetooth stack and apps (MtkBt.apx) implementation are dedicated to the hardware and different from a std ICS bluetooth !

For example your could not replace std bluetooth.apk with a working version (like the - fre e- one on android-rsap.com which seems to solve the problem on most of std ICS).

MT6575 platforms a very specific platform usually found on cheap chinese phone

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ozfunghi

I've been having problem with bluetooth audio (see here) in my car. I can't see a playlist, music doesn't start to play and i can't skip to another song using my steering wheel or the car console. The only thing that does work, is to start the music from my phone and control everything from the phone, which obviously isn't an option when you're driving. I've been doing some googling, and a lot of people have the same issue with ICS. It seems to be that AVRCP in ICS isn't up to snuff or compatible with standard bluetooth features or something. So i'm not sure it's a hardware related problem like Jaarvin is suggesting.

I did get my phonebook though, but i've only had the phone since this weekend so i haven't been able to try it out. Forgot to check if missed/previous calls were shown.

This is a major issue for me. Either to be resolved by rooting (if this offers a fix), or reselling the phone. This is a dealbreaker for me.

UPDATE: just had the problem with the phonebook as well. Phonebook doesn't load, so making a call while driving is out of the question. When somebody listed in your phonebook calls you, you won't know who it is unless you recognize the number.

This is a no-go. I've already contacted my phone vendor who is giving me a hard time and Acer who seem to be clueless. I bought this phone based on good reviews on Modaco and XDA, but so far this is turning into a little nightmare.

Edited by ozfunghi

Guest jaarvin

Hi,

@ozfunghi : I did not (exactly :-) say it is an hardware related problem ! But the point is that E350 does not have a standard ICS implementation, mainly because it is related to the way MTK (chipset maker) choose to implement some stuff and particularly BT

because of that you could not replace "faulty" bluetooth.apk with something like the one from andreoid-rsap.com.

For most of other std phone it seems to solve the BT problems

;-)

Guest ozfunghi

Hi,

@ozfunghi : I did not (exactly :-) say it is an hardware related problem ! But the point is that E350 does not have a standard ICS implementation, mainly because it is related to the way MTK (chipset maker) choose to implement some stuff and particularly BT

because of that you could not replace "faulty" bluetooth.apk with something like the one from andreoid-rsap.com.

For most of other std phone it seems to solve the BT problems

;-)

Hi Jaarvin, ok. So this "should" be fixable either with a system update or a custom ROM, right? I rather like the phone but time is running out and i either need to return it ASAP and get a different phone or find a solution. The phone is not useable for me in this state.

I also find it a little disheartening to see so little user feedback regarding the matter. Are other users not having this problem? Don't they use this feature and can't they be bothered to test this to see if it's working on their phone or not? Maybe give some info regarding what ROM they are using and if the problem remains or not etc... :(

Edited by ozfunghi

Guest jaarvin

Hi,

I played with rom ans sources (kernel il available in support section of acer.com) and at this point (I did not checked so far) i'alm not shure that a custom rom could solve the problem. I think that an update could do so (If we consider than replacing bluetooth.apk on other std 4.03 seems to solve the problem). Fix it with a custom ROM would mean that we could find the source code for MtkBT.apk (I look for it for a while without success :-() and be able to modify it.

kernel ans MtkBT.apk sources code are, I think, the entry point to find a solution If ACER do not fix it.

For now I switch back to my old phones and I switch with my Ford BT between them.

Edited by jaarvin

Guest ozfunghi

I got a response by e-mail by an Acer rep. They had not heard of the problem before i mentioned it, but he did want to look into it personally and see if he could get the problem verified by development. He couldn't guarantee anything, because even if the problem gets verified, it could take months -if ever- before a proper solution (in the form of an update) could be presented, since the problem would need to be addressed in Taiwan. I asked him to keep me posted.

I've been wondering... the JiaYu uses the dualcore version but is generally the same chipset, is it not? Apparently the bluetooth on that phone has no problems. Would it be possible to implement (or test) that code on the acer?

Guest jaarvin

@ozfunghi : They didn't heard about the problem .. really :-) here in France sereral people contact Acer support to inform them ! I personnaly have a looong exchange with them about it since the very 1st day and same answer than you ... "we tansmit tour request to dev ... etc !

I do not know JiaYu but it could be interesting to try MtkBT.apk from this device

Guest ozfunghi

JiaYu G3is a MTK6577 .. E350 is 6575

I also found a G2 with 6575 with 4.03 .. should work giveit a try ?!

My phone isn't rooted yet (i'm still waiting for this problem to be fixed before i do, maybe i have to resell the phone if no solution is found), but if you could try it out, that would be great.

Btw, i had contact with the Belgian/Dutch (Holland) Acer support... maybe they were unaware.

Help us Aarvin Wan KeJaarvin, you're our only hope.

Edited by ozfunghi

Guest ozfunghi

Are non of the people making ROMs actually interested in fixing this problem for their ROM? :( I'd hate to cross-thread post in other threads but it's like nobody is even looking at this problem. Only the people experiencing this problem post in this thread, and the threads were people talk about hacks and ROMS, the subject never comes up. This phone has been out for months, but nobody has found a solution. I can't believe so few people use their phones in the car, either to make calls or as a music player. Surely people building a ROM would have their ROM benefit by looking into this and providing a complete package? This is not to lay blame, rather an observation and expression of disappointment.

Edited by ozfunghi

Guest ozfunghi

hi

i switch to lucky rom beta and bluetooth phonebook is now send to my focus bt system

That's great. Can you control music on your phone from your steering wheel as well? (See other bluetooth thread).

And is it possible to just copy the bluetooth file (apk?) to the stock ROM after rooting? I'm quite happy with the stock ROM and after having had LiquidNext on my Acer Liquid E for more than a year, i really don't need the random freezes and shut downs of a custom ROM anymore. If this is possible, can anyone tell me which files to replace?

Also, if i root the phone, can i still receive acer updates if i keep the stock rom except for the bluetooth software file?

Edited by ozfunghi

Guest jaarvin

Hi,

This is more simple and more complex than an bluetooth.apk switch :-( ! It look like more to a side effect of the manip' than a real change !

At this this time phonebook is correctly transfered to the car but there is stilla problem with call history (it does not load correctly you only have the very first calls visible from the car)

When you play around with firmware you could note that some symlink are broken in sysfs. Maybe that building new rom fix some stuff but as far as I know apk remain in stocks version.

I do not use BT for music and I do not have music on my cellphone (an ipod is wired connected to the car for that).

If you root you phone you could receive update if you disable root in superuser app (but you will loose rooting), except if you remove some app which are tested during update process (see others posts)

I am planning to send back my ACER for a refund according to French law (related to hidden defective issue) and switch to a Wiko cink

Regards