[Q] Difference between Orange's ICS & Xolo's ICS

Guest Jul655

flibblesan's message :

Apart from the added Orange apps and the Orange theming in the Orange ICS ROM, both ROMs are identical. Infact they were both built on the very same day within 30 minutes of each other and both are built from the same code base.

There are some differences but nothing that will affect performance or cause any bugs. The Orange ROM has quite a lot of added applications - bloatware, if you will - which some people like myself dislike. However the Orange ROM has one thing that the Xolo ROM doesn't have... Intel Wireless Display. However it's very easy to add this to the Xolo ROM by deodexing the original Orange files then pushing the newly deodexed file to the Xolo ROM. If you don't understand that then don't worry as I'll be uploading the file soon.

I'm sticking with the Xolo ROM as it's very likely they will continue to provide updates on the website unlike Orange who only provide OTA updates. And I know that Jelly Bean 4.1.2 has been built for the Medfield platform (which our phones are based upon) so I reckon in the next month or two we will have some Jelly Bean goodness. Most likely Borqs who are handling the build will be testing everything and fixing any bugs and if a newer incremental version of Jelly Bean comes out then we will get it. Fingers crossed for a nice Christmas gift :D

Final word: Don't worry if you are using the Orange or the Xolo ROM as they are pretty much identical in terms of code. Thats it.

Useful Orange apps for the benefit of Xolo ICS users:

zip.gif DeviceStatusWidget_1024x600_Noonhill_A1.00.04_signed.apk.zip 491.46K 1 downloads

zip.gif OrangeWallet-OUK.apk.zip 1.09MB 0 downloads

zip.gif Orange_Widgets_Gallery_signed.apk.zip 835.21K 0 downloads

zip.gif Orange_Widgets_Message_signed.apk.zip 211.88K 0 downloads

zip.gif WirelessDisplay.apk.zip 102.5K 1 downloads

These need to be pushed to /system/app/ due to the use of system signatures. If you are using the unsecured adb app then enable this first then 'adb remount' then 'adb push <name of file>' to push, changing <name of file> to the name of the apk you want to push.

Once you have pushed, you MUST set permissions:

adb shell chmod 644 /system/app/<name of app>

replacing <name of app> with the filename for the app you downloaded.

First message :

Hi all,

I'd like go to ICS and have root, but i dunno what take ..

So, what're differences between Orange and Xolo ICS ?

Orange :

- Orange's Skin

- Orange's Apps

- Keep orange's warranty (? for those who have Orange San Diego)

- Possibility to root (?)

Xolo :

- Skin's origin

- Xolo's apps (?)

- Keep Xolo's warranty (? for those who have Xolo x900)

- Possibility to root

What do there other ?

If i take Orange's ICS, do i've maybe more risk to be blocked thereafter for boot-loader etc than xolo ? (even if now it's still not possible to unlock the bootloader ... i take just the eventuality that the unlock will be possible. )

Thank you in advance

Edited by flibblesan

Bootloader is locked and most likely staying that way :(

Orange ics:

Not tried it, so cannot really comment on what it is like, but form what I hear:

Uggly orange theme ruining the ics blue, which is not many places by the looks of it,

Loads of bloat as is the usual with orange,

root is confirmed,

You keep your warranty if you own an OSD.

Xolo Ics:

No warranty if you own OSD,

Only three bloat apps which can safely be removed,

root is confirmed,

Stock ics theme throughout,

the bookies favorite :lol:

Edited by Guest

Yeah no warranty sucks, just means if we have a fault the device must be hard bricked by flashing stuff.

I dont see the logic in orange making it hard for us to go back to orange ics by including a system patch to run a check, sort of thing a child would do ;)

The Orange ICS comes with a 'Quick Tap Wallet' app, which I found interesting as this is an Orange-specific NFC based means of paying for goods (in association with Barclaycard), and currently only the Samsung S3 is supposed to be supported by Orange. It suggests to me the OSD will become supported (or maybe it even works already?). You need a special Quick Tap sim card to take advantage of this.

Guest Simon O

The Orange ICS comes with a 'Quick Tap Wallet' app, which I found interesting as this is an Orange-specific NFC based means of paying for goods (in association with Barclaycard), and currently only the Samsung S3 is supposed to be supported by Orange. It suggests to me the OSD will become supported (or maybe it even works already?). You need a special Quick Tap sim card to take advantage of this.

Also works on the Xolo ROM if you have the apk. I'm not going to order the special SIM myself as I plan on ditching Orange as soon as the 3 months are up and I get the unlock code.

Guest Simon O

Bumping this thread for something I consider to be quite important, but not really surprising.

I was bored so I used Winmerge to compare the Orange ICS with the Xolo ICS. This was a simple file comparison.

The result: Apart from the added Orange apps and the Orange theming in the Orange ICS ROM, both ROMs are identical. Infact they were both built on the very same day within 30 minutes of each other and both are built from the same code base.

There are some differences but nothing that will affect performance or cause any bugs. The Orange ROM has quite a lot of added applications - bloatware, if you will - which some people like myself dislike. However the Orange ROM has one thing that the Xolo ROM doesn't have... Intel Wireless Display. However it's very easy to add this to the Xolo ROM by deodexing the original Orange files then pushing the newly deodexed file to the Xolo ROM. If you don't understand that then don't worry as I'll be uploading the file soon.

I'm sticking with the Xolo ROM as it's very likely they will continue to provide updates on the website unlike Orange who only provide OTA updates. And I know that Jelly Bean 4.1.2 has been built for the Medfield platform (which our phones are based upon) so I reckon in the next month or two we will have some Jelly Bean goodness. Most likely Borqs who are handling the build will be testing everything and fixing any bugs and if a newer incremental version of Jelly Bean comes out then we will get it. Fingers crossed for a nice Christmas gift :D

Final word: Don't worry if you are using the Orange or the Xolo ROM as they are pretty much identical in terms of code. Thats it.

Guest Simon O

DeviceStatusWidget_1024x600_Noonhill_A1.00.04_signed.apk.zip

OrangeWallet-OUK.apk.zip

Orange_Widgets_Gallery_signed.apk.zip

Orange_Widgets_Message_signed.apk.zip

WirelessDisplay.apk.zip

These need to be pushed to /system/app/ due to the use of system signatures. If you are using the unsecured adb app then enable this first then 'adb remount' then 'adb push <name of file>' to push, changing <name of file> to the name of the apk you want to push.

Guest Simon O

I would also say if you are worried about warranty due to the XOLO logo showing then simply use the All-In-One tool to replace this with the Orange logo. That way if you ever return to a store the staff won't try to fob you off as it says Xolo and not Orange ;)

• 2 months later...

DeviceStatusWidget_1024x600_Noonhill_A1.00.04_signed.apk.zip

OrangeWallet-OUK.apk.zip

Orange_Widgets_Gallery_signed.apk.zip

Orange_Widgets_Message_signed.apk.zip

WirelessDisplay.apk.zip

I did push WirelessDisplay.apk but I don't seem to have any option being added for that. Where do I find WiDi option ? Do I need to reboot post pushing above system apps? Thanks in advance.

Or do I need to push all of them in order for those options to appear?

EDIT: OK, except WirelessDisplay option other four are available. Where do I find WiDi?

EDIT2: OK, I adb pushed it again and now got Wireless Display option. Thanks.

Edited by mmbika

Guest i am not a hacker

Wireless display option should be in the settings straight away so it isn't in a sub-categories. If I remember correctly it is the 3rd one down.

Wireless display option should be in the settings straight away so it isn't in a sub-categories. If I remember correctly it is the 3rd one down.

I rebooted and all of above apps including WirelessDisplay were gone from Xolo.

I did adb push again but non of them get installed via adb push method this time and so I had to manually install each .apk by tapping it and let system install it.

However this time WirelessDisplay did not install, neither by adb push nor by tapping the .apk

Any clue about why these ones got removed automatically post reboot? Why WiDi is not reinstalling again?

Guest Simon O

When you push the apk to system you need to set the permissions or it'll no longer work once rebooted

You can easily do it using adb:

adb shell chmod 644 /system/app/WirelessDisplay.apk

I should update my post to mention this.

When you push the apk to system you need to set the permissions or it'll no longer work once rebooted

You can easily do it using adb:

adb shell chmod 644 /system/app/WirelessDisplay.apk

I should update my post to mention this.

Great...job done! Thanks..

I tried to do "insmod" xpad.ko (Galaxy S3), ff-memless.ko (TF101) and hid-logitech.ko (TF101) but were not accepted by Xolo (exec Format..).

Any possibility we can obtain above files (compatible to) for Medfield (Xolo) so that X-Box 360 Wireless Game Controller will work with it?

Edited by mmbika