Amoi N820 getting Android 4.1 Jellybean

Guest hecatae

Guest hecatae

Amoi have confirmed they are currently rolling out Android 4.1.1 for the N820. This is the first MT6577 device that we have heard is getting Android 4.1.1.

The Amoi N820 features a 4.5" QHD IPS-LCD display, 1GB RAM and 4GB ROM with microSD expansion. It has a 3.0MP front facing camera plus an 8.0MP rear camera. The N820 can shoot 720p 1280x720 HD Video and also comes with a 2050mAh battery. It is also (as with most of these MT65x7 phones) a dual SIM device.

The last Amoi I owned was the Three UK branded MOS 1 Ministry of Sound phone, circa 2005, it was a very well built device!

With this update in mind, if I was in the market for an MT6577 device, this is the one I would choose. The update is not available on Amoi's websiteas yet, so it looks like it will be an OTA (Over the air) update.

Aaronight's preferred Aliexpress seller stocks the N820 for $199 in black, FastCardTech offer it for $195 before shipping in black, white, and the funky black-orange combo. This works out to be around £124 before shipping and import fees, which is a bargain price for a Jellybean device.

[Via: MTKSJ.com]

med_gallery_19680_3_3337.jpg

Click here to view the item

Guest aaroNiGHTS

thumb_22-Oct-2012_large.jpeg

Taken by me, on my 6577 phone. The fact that Mediatek is releasing 4.1 these chips leads me to believe that the quad cores are further off than was expected.

Guest aaroNiGHTS

From what I can tell it is 4.1.1. Unless someone did a really good job of porting the enhanced notifications to ICS! It's not a very good rom, no GApps, Tapping the version number, like on most other Mediatek devices, brings up developer menu.

Guest punkthemonk

Can't wait to get mine, it's on the plane right now !!! :)

I have been following the Chinese Amoi forums and the people who tested it said that Jelly Bean is working great.

Guest aaroNiGHTS

So is that a custom ROM aaroNiGHTS?

It is a custom ROM. I thought it might be from Mediatek, but after playing with it I think its a homebrew effort - the bugs are just ridiculous.

Guest daisyhayseed

I got an Amoi N820 through Etotalk with Custom Firmware installed to remove Chinese apps and enable the Play Market. I got it as an experiment bit have to say that I am delighted with the device. It has handled everything I have thrown at it and has a very decent battery life. I understand that Etotalk will update the firmware to Jelly Bean shortly so I can't wait to give it a try.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest punkthemonk

I got my Amoi through merimobiles.com and already have JB on it. This is one great phone. I am having trouble installing Google Play though. :(

Anybody has any thoughts on how I could do this?!??!

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.