Hard reboots 3G issue?

Guest Keitel

I was just going to ask the same question! :) My guess is that you get the original boot loader image file (from where?) and flash that? I presume that the unlocking process modifies this slightly to unlock it? Maybe somebody could post precise details on how to do this or links to where it is explained? I had a look here but the details are not teased out:

Guest ivan.arandjelovic

I have not found a way to re-lock bootloader again, apart from re-installing stock update, which will delete CWM again, of course.

I'm too tired of re-setting my phone after each update, otherwise I would try only to unlock bootloader (and not install CWM), just to see if this is the thing that will trigger re-boots.

If anyone tries this please post your experience here,thanks.

Edited by ivan.arandjelovic

Guest Dazzozo

It's time we learned the real terminology :P

The ICS bootloader isn't locked, it's just configured to use some Qualcomm suite instead of fastboot. You can hop to any bootloader at will by replacing the bootloader and oemsbl images.

I can probably whip something up later.

Slightly off topic ... I would like to learn the real terminology but it seems difficult to fine clear and authoritative info on a lot of this stuff. Believe me I've searched and read up quite a bit but am still confused by some of the terminology and the taxonomy of an Adroid system in general and the G300 in particular. Are there any good resources explaining, for example, how the following stack up (in the order listed from the "bottom up" I presume?), what exactly they do, what form they come in (e.g. img versus zip etc.), dependencies between each "layer" and how each can be updated etc.: recovery (stock or custom such as CWM or TWRP), bootloader (uBoot?), Linux kernel, Androind proper (system services + dalvik VM etc.)?

Guest ivan.arandjelovic

Thanks Dazzozo, it's now obvious what noobs we are :)

But, just from theoretical point of view, isn't bootloader in charge only of loading the OS initially? And recovery is only piece of ROM on separate partition used for, well, recovery (when booted from this partition) - hope I have not missed by a mile here.

Now, both of these things should have nothing to do with the OS once it is booted and operating normally, I guess (or am I wrong)? Then how could it be that one of these two things affects OS behavior (in this particular case causing reboots when signal changes from 2G->3G and vice-verse couple of times.. )?

Or is there more tight integration between the OS and bootloader (or recovery)?

Edited by ivan.arandjelovic

Guest Dazzozo

Maybe, but the bootloader "unlock" also swaps the oemsbl image which runs on the baseband processor.

I'm not stating that this is the real reason, but if people are running stock ROMs with and without the bootloader being replaced and having 3G reboots on the former, this device just became a PITA. :P

Edit: okay, turns out this has been proved in IRC, Huawei do have a lock of some sort on the ics bootloader, though they do also have security through obscurity by not using fastboot.

So just to clarify ... I take it that it's still just speculation/anecdotal that the locked bootloader prevents 3G restarts while the unlocked one causes them?

I had constant reboots on every rom after unlocking the bootloader and/or installing cwm recovery. I tried official update.app and left everything else and the reboots have gone completely. Then I just unlocked the loader and the reboots started again but I wanted to use CWM 10.1 so it's okay :)

Right now I'm using llama to automatically switch to 2g when the screen goes black and switch back to 3g when the screen turns back on. It's stable since then and I can live with that setup. I'm still eager to try relocking the bootloader though, to get rid of that extra app.

Guest Dazzozo
So just to clarify ... I take it that it's still just speculation/anecdotal that the locked bootloader prevents 3G restarts while the unlocked one causes them?

Yes. We have no way to unlock the ICS bootloader at the moment. Working on it

Right now I'm using llama to automatically switch to 2g when the screen goes black and switch back to 3g when the screen turns back on. It's stable since then and I can live with that setup. I'm still eager to try relocking the bootloader though, to get rid of that extra app.

OK - thanks. I'm still doing it manually but will probably also use Llama to automate it when I get a chance to play with it. Am on CM10.1 also.

Posted in the CM10.1 thread in case it turns out to be relevant...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Coming from stock B936>CM9 R6>CM10 R5 having rarely random reboot (3 or 4 a week).

Ten days ago with the CM10 R5 installed I try to enable the national and international data roaming feature (for me is not a problem) thinking this could be the cause of the reboot.

I don't know if is a coincidence but from that moment the random reboot stop.

Now i'm on CM10.1 (Ota upgrade from CM10 R5), no problem and, above all, ten days without random reboot.

Try it, if possible, and leave a feedback

Bye