Can somebody fix low headphone volume please ?

Guest Aport

My G300 has really low volume when listening to music with headphones.I changed many roms, tried different players, different headphones and i even tried another G300, but the problem is still there.I would say that it is a hardware problem BUT when you listen to your music and call somebody your music volume gets much louder and it stays clear and crisp for about a sec.There are many devs out there and im sure someone can do something about this.Im tired of carrying my MP3 player everywhere because my phone can't play music at optimal loudness.And now about pool.Only vote if you are using headphones WITHOUT potentiometer (something like THIS, those little buttons on your headphones aren't potentiometers).

Edited by Aport

My G300 has really low volume when listening to music with headphones.I changed many roms, tried different players, different headphones and i even tried another G300, but the problem is still there.I would say that it is a hardware problem BUT when you listen to your music and call somebody your music volume gets much louder and it stays clear and crisp for about a sec.There are many devs out there and im sure someone can do something about this.Im tired of carrying my MP3 player everywhere because my phone can't play music at optimal loudness.And now about pool.Only vote if you are using headphones WITHOUT potentiometer (something like THIS, those little buttons on your headphones aren't potentiometers).

Oh thank God, I thought I was the only one having this problem, I'm using the Samsung stock headphones, and have the same issues of rising volume when calling someone. Could someone look into that?

I use your rom most of the time, but volume is still low.I think it only affects some devices and i really don't see the explanation for it.Can you look into it tillaz ? It's really big problem for me and im sure for others that had this bad luck.

Guest TestSpecimen.

The volume that you get out of the phone can depend on the headphones that you use. All headphones have a resistance, this basically dictates how much power your device (phone/mp3 player) needs to provide to drive the headphones. If the resistance value of your headphones is high (for example the sennheiser HD650 have a resistance of 650ohms, which is high) then a portable player using a battery will never be able to produce high volume as a lot of power will be needed to drive them. My headphones have a resistance of 36ohms, which means they are incredibly easy for a portable player to drive as the resistance is low.

What this basically means is that it may well be the case that you are going to get a mixed response to your question. Some people (like me) will have no problem, because the resistance is low and hence if I turn the volume on my phone up to max it hurts my ears. Some people on the other hand may think the phone is quiet as their headphones have a higher resistance/are harder to drive, so they will think the phone is quiet.

In general I have found that something like an ipod for example, which is a dedicated music player, will be much better at driving headphones whereas phones tend to lack in drive a bit. The only solution to your problem is that a dev can somehow increase the output power of the device, or use a portable headphone amplifier (which will improve the sound by providing more power anyway). Although most people think the latter is a bit crazy, which I can understand.

Hope that helped a bit.

TestSpecimen

I know all that, but my headphones are 36 ohms and every phone and iPod play it louder than G300.I don't like loud music, but if something is not loud enough i just cant listen to it.And who wants to carry an amp everywhere ?.I mean, a decent amp costs as much as G300.

Edited by Aport

Guest TestSpecimen.

I know all that, but my headphones are 36 ohms and every phone and iPod play it louder than G300.I don't like loud music, but if something is not loud enough i just cant listen to it.And who wants to carry an amp everywhere ?.I mean, a decent amp costs as much as G300.

Fair enough. Maybe there are other players from the market that might give it a boost. I know lots of people swear by poweramp (although I have never used it). Maybe give that a go??

You can raise it to slight level and after that sound begins to break (i don't know the proper term, just sounds awful).And poweramp helps, but still its not enough.With poweramp it's ok for listening in completely quiet areas, but when you step outside, go to gym etc. then you hear too much background noise that you almost don't hear the music (this is all for in ear headphones, earbuds are probably 10000 times worse)

Edited by Aport

Guest Ludak021

raising all levels in any EQ leads to sound distortion and possible dmg to headphones themselves. What you have to realize is that pre-amp in device is weaker then is some other devices (stronger then in some I've heard). pre-amp could be amplified in the device by routing more power to that particular hardware part, but that can be risky to the device.

What you can DO is choose your headphones/earphones better. The lower the ohm value on headphones, less resistance it has and therefore more volume. Choosing solid (dont invest too much) headphones/earphones with 16ohm resistance yields more loudness then some epic hi-end headphone with with 64ohm resistance. Lower ohm on headphone/earphone means more volume IF the speakers in the said headset can handle the volume without distorting the sound. Don't go lower then 16ohm thou, you could fry the input jack.

http://reviews.cnet....7-31727753.html

for instance I cant turn the volume way up on g300 with them, too loud. 16ohm.

on my other Zen pair http://onearheadphones.productwiki.com/sennheiser-hd-435/

Maxing out the volume isn't enough on g300. 32ohm. It's like twice less volume then on 16ohm ones. But I use them for home applications so it's not an issue. I am just giving an example.

Edited by Ludak021

Guest Umrtvovacz

Using Sennheiser HD 438 (32 Ohm) and PowerAmp with only 10 Db increase, I can hear the music loud and clear even when not on max level and in a noise bus. I am doing that right now, and I can barely hear the bus, even though there is quiet metal balad playing right now.

I am on Gingerbread GR2 Paul's rom.

I got Sennheiser HD500, Maxell in ear headphones and iPod earbuds.First two are 32 ohms, i don't now impedance of earbuds.They all sound really quiet and only in ears have at least OK sound loudness (only with PowerAmp using preamp).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest popoyaya

Can someone please fix this, its really frustrating ? 35% of people got this problem which is considerable.

Haven't you read the thread? It's a hardware limitation of the phone, how much power the internal amp can output and here's nothing a dev can do to bend the rules of physics, The solution is threefold: low impedance earphones, use eq or volume boost app, buy a miniature headphone amplifier.

Haven't you read the thread? It's a hardware limitation of the phone, how much power the internal amp can output and here's nothing a dev can do to bend the rules of physics, The solution is threefold: low impedance earphones, use eq or volume boost app, buy a miniature headphone amplifier.

Haven't you read the thread ? When you call someone while listening to music volume increases 100% for about a sec and it stays clear and crisp, so its not a hardware issue.

Guest theshao

Definitely seems to be a software issue - if I'm driving, my music and audiobooks are so quiet I have to max out the volume to hear them clearly, at which point the navigation woman is ear-splittingly loud. Doesn't seem to be so much of an issue using the internal speaker, I'm gonna try a few fw's this afternoon and see which it occurs with.

Guest Al_1604

I DID have serious volume issues the second time I went from GB to ICS but after going back to GB and re-upgrading to B926 then on to custom ROMs the problem has, quite honestly, disappeared. I wish I could be more specific (which would obviously be more helpful) but I absolutely can't remember all the upgrade/downgrade (let alone custom ROM) steps I've taken, sorry. From my own experience it is fixable, just wish I could tell you exactly how.

Edited by Al_1604

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SparkTheDark

I've noticed the output to be absolutely pee-poor, it's so low that i've had to use my little CMOY (headphone amp) just so i can get a decent level (even have to crank the CMOY) to my headunit in the car.

I'm also not convinced this is a hardware issue as when using the headset, calls appear to be a lot louder than when using a music app (Poweramp in my case).