Have Google changed mobile phone pricing forever?

Guest Zarch1972

Guest masterpfa

This is in no doubt a game changer, not just for me personally, but at the way people will now consider buying phones. The majority of people are more than happy to sign up to a 2 year contract regardless, without realising the options available out there.

With the likes of 3, Giff-Gaff, Virgin, Tesco and T-Mobile offering 30 day rolling contracts or 12 month SIM only contracts, in the UK we have been spoilt by choice so getting a phone like the Nexus 4 has immediately become a viable option for many.

I have for the past 2.5 years been on SIM only contracts and have purchased my phones unlocked and offline. I am no longer tied to a two year contract with a phone, my provider would not repair or replace as I was outside the 1 year manufacturers warranty. I have also saved a bundle load of money. No longer does the family have 5 contracts at £40+ a month all with limitations on minutes, texts and data, instead we are all on £15.50 a month unlimited everything from T-Mobile (via Chitter-Chatter) to surf, text and chat at leisure.

I would always have been a Nexus buyer as I have been since the Nexus 1(OK 1 exception the Nexus S) but as I was more that satisfied with my current Galaxy Nexus, I was prepared to sit this one out. But then the specifications were released followed by the "Verge" video and above all the price has changed all that.

Roll on 13th November,

Google I have a wallet and I'm not afraid to use it.

I have a G300 and a 32gb micro SD card in it that just about meets my needs. With memory so cheap (64gb USB sticks at £20 or less) you would think they could get more storage in there for less than the price hike they have. I know you don't need that much storage but my mp3 collection alone must be over 40gb.

Guest timfimjim

I've just thought... Surely USB otg will work with this phone? If yes, then I know it's not as elegant an answer, but it definitely would be an option for the lack of storage!

Guest Pondlife

Yeah it was made to work with the galaxy nexus and the nexus 7 so I would expect usb otg will become available. Was still a desire for higher capacity nexus 7 though...

Even apps/games can run from external

Edited by Pondlife

Guest everett_psycho
I've just thought... Surely USB otg will work with this phone? If yes, then I know it's not as elegant an answer, but it definitely would be an option for the lack of storage!

I suppose with the wireless charger in use it keeps the USB free for the otg cable so the battery concerns a lot 9th people have with using this will be slightly eased

Guest comicbookguy

I suppose with the wireless charger in use it keeps the USB free for the otg cable so the battery concerns a lot 9th people have with using this will be slightly eased

Only if you can use OTG and SlimPort HDMI together, or you want to shell out for a Miracast dongle....... ;)

Guest everett_psycho

Only if you can use OTG and SlimPort HDMI together, or you want to shell out for a Miracast dongle....... ;)

i didn't think of that, i generally don't need it on the go much as my commute is only 15 minus on the tube, it was mainly for extra music when at work. When I'm at home I use my server for media and my phone is just used as a remote for squeeze boxes and sometimes my wdtv. I really liked having hdmi when I got my o2x but in reality I never use it and I can achieve the needed output using dlna or hdmi on our tablet. Given the space i may just make sure the nexus syncs with drop box and sync that with the server too.

I did like the idea someone on xda had, he proposed an app that will upload your snaps to the cloud then keep a downsized version locally

Guest comicbookguy

i didn't think of that, i generally don't need it on the go much as my commute is only 15 minus on the tube, it was mainly for extra music when at work. When I'm at home I use my server for media and my phone is just used as a remote for squeeze boxes and sometimes my wdtv. I really liked having hdmi when I got my o2x but in reality I never use it and I can achieve the needed output using dlna or hdmi on our tablet. Given the space i may just make sure the nexus syncs with drop box and sync that with the server too.

I did like the idea someone on xda had, he proposed an app that will upload your snaps to the cloud then keep a downsized version locally

I was only being deliberately awkward. Personally I don't have space issues on my 16gb nexus 7 or GNex. I'm not a shutterbug and I have a camera when I do take photos. I don't feel the need to carry my entire library of music and video at all times. If I use OTG, it is usually to transfer stuff on and off device, not to play from. But it seems on here that everyone is finding problems that are minor on a device which is £200 cheaper than its nearest mainstream competitors, and an extra 16 or 48gb of storage is not worth that much.to me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.