[Kernel] 308 Kernel for official ICS roms, Updated 07/02/2013

Guest PaulMilbank

Guest Combat Gerbil

Just to clarify for us of the not so tech minded.. (have flashed roms on Android tablets but not main phone ...yet) no data will be lost when flashing the Kernel...

BTW running stock ICS B952..

So I should install 11?

As far as I know (and according to the first post) this kernel (and all versions of it to date) is for stock/stock based ROMs only.

Guest PaulMilbank

Yep, I am ignoring any questions about whether this works in CM..X now. It does not, but if you want to flash it, go for it, you probably won't get a hard brick, just a soft one requiring you to reinstall from recovery.

Guest PaulMilbank

Release #7 does not have zram enabled. MemoryInfo sad that kernel doesn't have swap file enabled. Please can you check it?

You need to enable and set it up with a script. It will not be enabled just because it is in the kernel.

Guest PaulMilbank

I'm will add #11 to lightning ROM and see how it works. Thanks again.

No problem. Let me know how it goes. I think this new one has less force closes and pretty good battery life. Seems to be working well on my phone.

Guest Higgy69

Hi,

I have been doing some benchmarking using Infusion as my base. A question, has 1.19GHz OC been removed? I only have 1.15 & 1.228GHz.

1.228GHz gave me a freeze requiring a battery pull, then during a benchmark I got a reboot. I usually run @ 1.19GHz so I can't do a like-for-like comparison.

Initial benchmarking (@ 1.15GHz) was quite a bit lower than #19 Kernel, although after a reboot I think you need to let the phone settle for say 5mins as I think background tasks were still running?

So far we have (I did a number of tests on the same settings so there might be a couple of scores in some cases):

Kernel #19 @ 1.19GHz - Smart Ass2 - s/o = 4117 (notes - my original benchmark score)

Installed Kernel #11

Kernel #11 @ 1.228GHz - Interactive X - s/o = 3068 (notes - I ran benchmark quite quick after a reboot)

Kernel #11 @ 1.15GHz - Interactive X - s/o = 3226

Kernel #11 @ 1.228GHz - ondemand - s/o = forced a reboot during benchmark

Reinstalled Kernel #19

Kernel #19 @ 1.19GHz - Interactive X - s/o = 2780? (notes - I ran benchmark quite quick after a reboot)

Kernel #19 @ 1.19GHz - Smart Ass2 - s/o = 3908 / 3932

Kernel #19 @ 1.19GHz - Performance - s/o = 3870

Hope it helps? Because my phone does not like 1.228GHz and 1.15GHz is lower than 1.19, I have gone back to Kernel #19.

If 1.19GHz can be added to new Kernel then I can try more tests.

Guest PaulMilbank

I can add 1.19 ghz back in for the next one. I can also doublecheck the smartass2 settings in the new kernel match the old settings. Geno changed a lot in the freq settings in his kernel so I can look at going back to my old freq settings too.

You need to enable and set it up with a script. It will not be enabled just because it is in the kernel.

Could you provide a working script, because I can't get zRam enabled on #11 with mine ?

#!/system/bin/sh

DISK_SIZE=128

echo 1 > /sys/block/zram0/reset

echo$(($DISK_SIZE*1024*1024)) > /sys/block/zram0/disksize

mknod /dev/zram0 b 253 0

mkswap /dev/zram0

swapon /dev/zram0

exit 0

and

echo 104857600 > /sys/block/zram0/disksize

mkswap /dev/block/zram0

swapon /dev/block/zram0

Edited by cazad

Guest PaulMilbank

OK, #13 kernel is up now. Try out the same scripts as above. The scripts seem to be enabling a swap area compressed in ram (zram) and that side would have worked. I had not enabled swap though so it would not have enabled the kernel to make use of the swap area. I have enabled swap now as well as a couple of other small tweaks. Hopefully that should do it.

Guest Pain_Deluxe

Cheers man, glad to finally have it sorted. @pain_deluxe, let me know how you get on with b944 based infusion b06.

PaulM #13(@1,19Ghz) Kernel and Supremacy Trilogy Script.

Games now runs smooth as before. But now its lagfree (Got with old kernel and NO scripts hard lags sometimes (e.g Tempelrun 1+2)

On Batterylife i have no idea.But i mean no difference.

Guest Combat Gerbil

Release 19 seems the quickest on My phone, can't get a stable overclock out of any of them.. Antutu 3684+- on 19...and only 2965+- on newer releases. Quite a difference there..