Orange San Diego hasn't been discontinued

Guest Simon O

Guest Konstipated Kiwi

Orange are still doing £30 cashback via Quidco for PAYG handsets over £140. This makes the handset itself effectively £140. Orange actually paid my cashback to Quidco within a fortnight so I got it back in my bank account in about a month (Quidco pay out in the middle and end of every month).

NB: If you are new to Quidco they take £5 commission each year out of your cashback. If this will be the first time you use them then your cashback will effectively be £25.

Edited by Konstipated Kiwi

Guest BlueMoonRising

Orange are still doing £30 cashback via Quidco for PAYG handsets over £140. This makes the handset itself effectively £140. Orange actually paid my cashback to Quidco within a fortnight so I got it back in my bank account in about a month (Quidco pay out in the middle and end of every month).

NB: If you are new to Quidco they take £5 commission each year out of your cashback. If this will be the first time you use them then your cashback will effectively be £25.

TopCashBack were £35(I think) but seem to have slipped back to £30.30 although there's no £5 first time fee to pay.

• 1 month later...
Guest MrPuddington

It is still available on a contract, but the PAYG version does seem to have been discontinued. Soon they should have one more, because I am sending one back (Orange messed up the order big time, and it is easier to reorder than trying to fix it...).

Guest grizzlyflea

Have they permanently discontinued the PAYG version. or is it just a temporary thing?

anyone?

Edited by grizzlyflea

Guest Pondlife

Saw a poster featuring the San Diego in EE shop window today so looks like some still have them at least.

Mind you it was on the website earlier too albeit oos...

Guest grizzlyflea

The shops should still have some.

I reaaaalllyyyyy hope they do. mum told me she'll give me the money next week. I guess I've just got to hope that by next they haven't fully sold out :unsure:

Guest MrPuddington
Have they permanently discontinued the PAYG version. or is it just a temporary thing?

Online it looks permanent. Orange does that sometimes, in order to encourage people to go on a contract.

Checking in store is probably the best option. Or look at the second hand market, where it is still available for around the same price.

Guest geoff1951

Just seen these posts. Should be interesting when I go to the shop later today to pick up the one I've ordered for my daughter. (Which I couldn't get through Topcashback - out of stock on there.)

LATER -

...and, guess what, it wasn't in. But they are advertising it at £99 etc, on the displays.

Shop - "yes sir, it actually says FROM the 9th"

Me - "True. But that means it SHOULD be here today. FROM doesn't mean some time after the 9th. So why isn't it here?" (Knowing full well that the assistant won't have a clue.)

Shop - "It should be in tomorrow."

Me - "what makes you say that?"

Shop - Assistant realised he's just spouted bullsh1t. Goes red. "er, they usually are."

Me - "so, if it isn't in tomorrow, are you suggesting I come back every day thereafter to check?"

Shop - "No, I, er..."

Me - "Can I phone the shop?"

Shop - "Sorry, we can't give out our numbers.

Me - "OK. Are you going to cover my petrol and parking costs for every visit that doesn't produce the phone?"

"Shop - "Sorry..."

Me - "Right. Let's see what happens tomorrow, shall we?" Exit, stage left, smiling at customer listening to this. Got a thumbs up back, so felt better about that.

To be continued...

Edited by geoff1951

Guest Spunky Backpack

Just phoned Orange to query my online order - wanted to cancel it as I ended up buying a PAYG OSD in an Orange shop. They said no payment was taken from my CC as the handset is discontinued.

Edited by Spunky Backpack

Not branded so it has no street cred, too expensive even at the discounted rate to be kids/budget phone and bootloader locked so of little interest to "sceners".

Doomed.

But very nice none the less.

Guest MrPuddington
Explains the price plummet then. They should have done much better from this phone as it is one hell of a device.

It is, but without BBC iPlayer and without a JB update it is pretty much doomed anyway.

Guest grizzlyflea

im not sure. maybe they just don't have it on the orange website anymore. the reason I say this is because the other day I popped into my local EE store and asked if they'd have any san Diegos in stock for next week and they said they would DEFINITELY have them in the stock.

Guest geoff1951

Sorry grizzlyflea, and everyone else, but I think we've seen the best days of the SD. Contacted local shop, spoke to someone with some sense. Was told that the phone I'd ordered on the web would be in after I got an another email. Spoke to Customer services, online order section, nice bloke in Newcastle. Advised me to cancel the order, he hadn't heard of one passing through their system for days.

Tried three local shops in person for stock, none available nor expected. NEVER believe any shop assistatnt who says DEFINITELY. I would be VERY surprised if any more SDs hit the shops again. As Horsa said, no branding, no street cred. It might have sold in thousands, but iPhones and Samsungs sell in millions. It's had a lifespan of six months, around half the main players - iphone, HTC, Samsung.

IMHO it's turned out to be an experiment by Intel to see if their chip worked in the real world. It has, but it's been let down by poor support by Orange and poor build quality. Maybe if Vodafone had been behind it, then it'd have been a bigger success?

I also spoke to customer services about my duff power button. Sorry, not covered by Intel's 2 year warranty, wear and tear. but we will send it off for free repair. It's not fit for purpose, I said - only 6 months old. Threatened them with trading standards, young lad (who kept calling me "mate") had no response. Offered a loan phone, a cheap Samsung flip, or a Galaxy Ace - if I left 60 quid deposit !!!!!! Wouldn't do a straight swop. even though I said the web is full of reports of this. (which supports my view that it's already deleted.)

In any event, it's STILL a great phone, with a great screen, but we've been guinea pigs, pure and simple, sucked in by a low price. When my contract finishes, and the two others I pay for (wife and daughter) I'm away from Orange like a shot. And next time it'll have to be HTC or Samsung, I'm sorry to say.

Meanwhile, I'll carry on, using Xolo ICS, and thank everyone here for the helpful and amazing work put in by Ricky and others.

Cheers!

Guest jasonXXx

Regardless of it being discontinued or not I could not care less to be honest its a fantastic phone with xolo and a few mods tweaks runs super sweet plays games nice and smooth its completely stock android now and it cost £99 with free headphones for £99 as long as I get my full warranty and fixed if it brakes I'm happy more then happy absolute steel.

Guest Pondlife

In any event, it's STILL a great phone, with a great screen, but we've been guinea pigs, pure and simple, sucked in by a low price. When my contract finishes, and the two others I pay for (wife and daughter) I'm away from Orange like a shot. And next time it'll have to be HTC or Samsung, I'm sorry to say.

Take a look at what htc and samsung phones you could get for the price of this at launch and compare them with this and the support they've got too.

Guest BlueMoonRising

When did you last check. I checked yesterday and there were some in stock. I'm just hoping there still are :/

If you mean online then the PAYG phones were out of stock awhile ago and the listing has now been removed, you can still find it on the contract section however.

Everybody else feeling abandoned? Admittedly I've got an awesomely fast phone at a good price(I bought it at the £170 price point), I came from the OSF so it's like lightening to me. It was bought as an early Xmas present from the wife and I'm stuck with it for 2 years so I'll enjoy it until that time.

As geoff1951 says, there is no doubt whatsoever that it is discontinued although it's way too short a lifetime.

Guest geoff1951

Just to clarify, I think it's a great phone. I believe (but willing to be proved wrong by Orange) that it's discontinued, and only stock in shops remains.

It's Orange who've raised my blood pressure, with their slooooowww website, incorrect/out of date/misleading/insufficient information, failure of the site to process Best Plan changes, then the call centre staff doing likewise though promised they have done the change, but instead added a package I didn't ask for, then the shoddy process over my web purchase. And that's only over the past three months.

One final example - just for curiosity through my account on the web I looked at upgrading to an HTC One X, upgrade price on my tariff £169. I know I'm eligible to upgrade, close to contract end, but the website then said I can't do it online, have to call customer services. No thanks!

Re. addict's post - I think Samsung and HTC would charge twice or more for a similar specced phone, but they also offer better support to compensate, IMHO and speaking to friends with HTCs/Samsungs.

PS - Just seen the Xolo site is back up.

Edited by geoff1951