Google announces $199 Acer C7 Chromebook

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

Google have just revealed another new Chromebook hot on the heels of the recent Samsung Series 3 announcement - the $199 Acer C7.

Featuring an Intel Celeron 847 processor clocked at 1.1GHz, 11.6" (1366x768) display, 320GB hard disk, dual band Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n and Ethernet, HD camera, 3 USB ports, a HDMI port and a VGA port, the 1 inch thin / 1.4 kg device is said to provide ~3.5 hours of battery life.

Aimed squarely at the low end with it's $199 price tag (UK price TBC), the C7, like it's Samsung sibling, includes 2 years of 100 GB Google Drive space and 12 free sessions of Gogo Inflight Internet.

The device will be sold in the UK in the Play Store, at PC World and at Amazon from tomorrow (13th November), when pricing will also be revealed.

[Edit: UK pricing confirmed... £199!!!]

Head on over to the Acer C7 Chromebook page at Google for more details!

c7chromebookbig.png

Click here to view the item

Guest Zarch1972

As my Series 3 Chromebook hit the doormat today, i'm confused by this release...... and even more confused with what to do with my Series 3... take it back?

Why the hell didn't Google release this and the Samsung at the same time, give punters a choice?

Guest Zarch1972

I am also puzzled by how little fanfare these Chromebooks are getting from Google...... I can only compare it to the way Apple treats "Apple TV" as a"hobby" device of theirs.

Maybe not worth an 'event' of their own, but surely you'd think they'd get more love, attention and most importantly lots of publicity and advertising.

Guest PhaseBurn

I would seriously consider one of these if I could do all my Android related stuff on it (adb, fastboot etc)

You can. ChromeOS is a linux base, so linux CLI tools function on it just fine. Open a terminal (ctrl alt T) and run 'em... just have to get a copy of adb and fastboot compiled for the CPU on the Chromebook itself - this looks like an intel one so that shouldn't be hard to find at all...

Guest Zarch1972

The Samsung has better battery life over 6+ hours compared to this, I don't think it'd be very useful if you have to charge this Acer every 3 hours

With its Ethernet port|(which the Samsung doesn't have), maybe its aimed more at sitting on desks? In schools etc?

I would seriously consider one of these if I could do all my Android related stuff on it (adb, fastboot etc)

and if you dont like chromium os you can always install Windows or Ubuntu ...

Guest NeostarNeko

One advantage of this Chromebook is that it uses an Intel processor and a reasonable size hard drive, you could in theory do a lot more with this by installing linux software

Guest Zarch1972

i am struggling to understand why do you need a chromebook when Nexus 10 can do the job?

Keyboard? Sat on desk/lap doing proper typing? Trackpad?

A far more "productive" little device..... if being productive is your thing. ;)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.