Nexus 4, 7 3G and 10 go on sale, 4 sells out

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

The Nexus 4 8GB / 16GB, Nexus 7 3G and Nexus 10 16GB / 32GB have gone on sale this morning, of sorts - and the Nexus 4 (both versions) and 10 (32GB) have already sold out.

The devices, which went on sale at around 8:15 GMT, were made available for sale directly from the Google Play store which demonstrated a complete inability to cope with the levels of traffic experienced. Server errors, self emptying baskets and other issues were experienced by all who tried to order, including yours truly. :(

The Nexus 4 is now sold out in both 8GB and 16GB iterations, super frustrating for those who managed to put one in their store basket soon after the device went on sale, only to be denied at the last by server problems.

2 day shipping on the new devices is being charged at £9.99 for the phones (3-5 days) and £13.99 for the tablets (2 days), a sneaky way to claw back some profit on the low margin devices.

How was your experience? What have you bought / tried to buy / failed to buy?

I managed to order a N7 3G but completely failed on the N4 front and i'm put off supporting Google with a N10 order out of principle. :(

n10.png

Click here to view the item

I'm currently screaming into my pillow. For someone of Google's magnitude, I would have thought the buying process would have been as smooth as butter.

I got to entering my payment details only to have it fail.

I've now got to put up with a Palm Pre for another amount of time as I sold my Android phones in preparation for the N4.

Funnily enough, the ad appearing alongside this article for me is for... the new Google devices!

Not sure, with the quick sellout, those are advertising dollars well spent?!

Oh, it's all Google so it's all 'free' - ah!

Guest ctafield

Tried to buy a 16gb Nexus 4... failed miserably. Furthest I could get was to the payment confirmation page,at which point it told me that my credit cards were expired (they're not, I frequently use them on the Play store !). After re-entering the details it fell over with server errors again... then, as quick as they had appeared, they were back to "Coming Soon".

Very disappointed.

I do wonder if they've only allocated small stock to each country for the launch, to make them "sell out" in each country... then after it's launched, release a load more?

Guest tone-fu

Typical of Google really, no other company knows how to foul up a product launch like they do.

Say what you like about Apple's business practices, at least they know how to take your money.

Guest domenico lamberti

i finally got my 8GB nexus 4 , i thought it was a curse that my card bounced back justminutes after the posst went live, but it kept my order i just had to go put money in :P , oh and three phone calls to the devices sector at google play helped, a little californian man was very helpful, but yes, pain in the arse for a while and yes people, tables were flipped

Guest teamtd11

Managed to get a N4 16GB and N10 32GB ordered together, £9.99 Delivery.

I've just got my receipt through now and my account has been debited the amount already.

Guest MonkeyBoy451

I got all the way through to hitting the Purchase button for an N4 16GB, then the site timed out... managed to have the N4 in my cart several times after that, but it always crashed when trying to do the google wallet part... very piss poor show from Google!

Lets hope they release some more later today.

Managed to add a 16GB Nexus 4 to my basket, proceed to checkout only for it to disappear when trying to change delivery address. After that it was constant basket emptying and server crashes, which is a shame.

On the plus side it will be nice to have that £279 +P&P in my account until it's back in stock again.

Guest TheBishopOfSoho

I pressed the "Place your order" button. Except it didnt. I got my 100th error of the morning from the site, it emptied my cart and dumped me back to the details screen showing me its out of stock. I received the notification email 2 minutes later, telling me the great N4 was now available. Except its not. Its like a kick in the bollocks for my troubles. Thanks Google. Thanks loads.

Guest BigAlUK

The rage!

Stayed up until 1am last night in case they came online, no luck. Checked when I got up, still nothing. Seemed to all kick off about 8am (suppose that makes sense, midnight Pacific Time).

Had the same server errors and cart emptying as Paul. Was going for a N4 16GB and N10 32GB, but after the shambles tried the N4 alone, after a lot of reloading finally got the Google Wallet popup. Clicked accept and it showed a spinner, then that disappeared and I was looking at the Google Wallet popup again. Looking at my account i could see the money had been authorised (the available/actual balance difference) but no confirmation page or anything in Google Wallet. So called support for a shout, answered straight away, and first guy said a lot of people were having issues. No s***! He put me through to the Wallet team but they had a massive queue. While on hold the transaction finally appeared in Wallet as "pending". And I've just this second got a confirmation/receipt email for the N4 16GB. Estimated shipping 15th November. £9.99 for "2 day" shipping too. Grr.

All a bit of a mess really, put me off getting the N10 32GB (which is now showing coming soon too)

Guest netAdept

Bloody awful experience.

First it told me my card had expired (it hadn't). Then it was asking me to accept t&c's which I did, but then it wouldn't light up the Accept button. In frustration I refreshed a few times and it finally accepted the order. It then told me it had trouble processing the order and to contact customer support. CS couldn't find my email address, then managed to find the order via my order number, 10 minutes later and finally confirmed everything was proceeding OK.

Didn't get a confirmation email until 30 minute later and the order is still "Pending" in the Wallet screen, so I have no idea whether I will get one or not :-\

Guest macsbac

Stayed up until 2am to see if it became available. Got up at 6.15 am so I could get to work b4 8 so I coulf buy at work. For 30 mins I tried to buy a Nexus 4 16gb no joy whatsoever. 30 mins of errors and even got to enter my payment details once. All failed. I need a new device and who knows when this will become available. The whole experience has made me angry so much so I am looking for an alternative. iPhone is out so apart from wp8 what other alternatives do I have. Looks like a Lumia 920 for me. Its not a nexus 4 but at least I can buy it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.