Where all the Blade replacements?

Guest KenBW2

I've been keeping an eye out for months for a replacement for my Blade, but there just aren't any catching my eye

It was this time of year when the Pulse was dropped in price, and when I got my Blade, assumedly promotions for christmas

I'm after a phone that

• Is <£150
  • Has amazing specs for the price like the Blade did 2 years ago. In today's terms
    • 4" screen
    • Dual core > 1GHz
    • 1GB RAM (although 512MB would be fine)
    • Camera flash

[*]Perhaps most importantly, the developer following the Blade has enjoyed over its 2 year life. The fact that the Blade has had its OS updated 5 major versions beyond its time is the major factor why mine is still going strong

The Huawei G300 was OK, but now it's a bit meh for £100. Doesn't seem to be anything else coming along, probably because they're targeting a higher market these days.

The ZTE V970 seemed good, but the current lack of forum doesn't bode well for its developer following. The Grand X isn't particularly cheap

Does anyone know of anything currently out, or on its way? My Blade still can't be surpassed for value for money

I can recommend the V970.

Very very happy with mine.

I have a custom ROM on it, although there does not seem to be much of a UK/US developer community for it (compared to the Blade).

Fantastic value!

I paid for express delivery (DHL) and had to pay a customs charge of £7 - all in you can get it for less than £150, with a case and screen protector in less than a week.

If you can deal with a lesser screen res (if they get around to doing a "V" version for our cell networks, which annoyingly they don't seem to have a plan to do) these have a wet-your-pants spec for the price:-

http://micgadget.com/31232/oh-god-zte-u950-is-a-super-cheap-quad-core-phone-for-less-than-160/

lucky lucky people that get this.

big battery, big power and in my opinion a more than acceptable screen res for the size.

• 4 months later...
Guest Linus X.

The Huawei Ascend W1 could be the new Blade! 130 Pounds at O2. Only thing missing so far are options for free unlock.

Sure, it's WP8, but I'd like to give it a try. Black version would be nice though...

Linus X.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest probals

Have a look at Micromax Canvas HD A116. Great specs for the price and Micromax is a India based OEM which is doing well. Indian e-retailers will definitely be better to order from than the Chinese ones too.

The phone specs - Quad core, 1GB RAM, 5" 720p screen, JB 4.1 all for around 14k INR (~ 150 GBP). Also has a community developing over @ xda.

Trouble is this model is currently out of stock everywhere!

P

Guest omegavesko
Have a look at Micromax Canvas HD A116. Great specs for the price and Micromax is a India based OEM which is doing well. Indian e-retailers will definitely be better to order from than the Chinese ones too.

The phone specs - Quad core, 1GB RAM, 5" 720p screen, JB 4.1 all for around 14k INR (~ 150 GBP). Also has a community developing over @ xda.

Trouble is this model is currently out of stock everywhere!

P

How good is the development?

Guest cornelyus

I've been keeping an eye out for months for a replacement for my Blade, but there just aren't any catching my eye

It was this time of year when the Pulse was dropped in price, and when I got my Blade, assumedly promotions for christmas

I'm after a phone that

• Is <£150
  • Has amazing specs for the price like the Blade did 2 years ago. In today's terms
    • 4" screen
    • Dual core > 1GHz
    • 1GB RAM (although 512MB would be fine)
    • Camera flash

[*]Perhaps most importantly, the developer following the Blade has enjoyed over its 2 year life. The fact that the Blade has had its OS updated 5 major versions beyond its time is the major factor why mine is still going strong

The Huawei G300 was OK, but now it's a bit meh for £100. Doesn't seem to be anything else coming along, probably because they're targeting a higher market these days.

The ZTE V970 seemed good, but the current lack of forum doesn't bode well for its developer following. The Grand X isn't particularly cheap

Does anyone know of anything currently out, or on its way? My Blade still can't be surpassed for value for money

I'm with you.. I don't want a phone bigger than 4" right now..

One I reallyt liked, but it goes out of budget is Sony Xperia P, looks gorgeaus, and everything I needed.. something along those lines but chepaer and I would be sold..

Guest KenBW2

I'm with you.. I don't want a phone bigger than 4" right now..

One I reallyt liked, but it goes out of budget is Sony Xperia P, looks gorgeaus, and everything I needed.. something along those lines but chepaer and I would be sold..

The Huawei G150 is looking like a really good contender. Just waiting to see if we get a dev community

• 2 weeks later...
Guest probals

How good is the development?

Sorry, I forgot to check back on this thread. There's some dev work happening @ XDA, but I think it's hampered by the fact that availability is still an issue. Having said that, rooting & CWM is already available. I'm quite positive since the company's prev models have seen good dev work.

Of course, if someone like Paul O'Brien picks it up, dev work will go thr the roof! I hope Paul is reading this :)

Thanks & apologise again for the delay in the reply,

P