[Mod] Link2Int v1.1 - [Use 2GB internal as app storage - tested with CM9/CM10/CM10.1] 03/12

Guest Cyda

I see. You could however add the 90userinit initscript from CM9 to the .zip in order to add compatibilty elsewhere...

I could, and in future versions I may just do that. I have never really considered it in all honesty. We'll see.

You could however add the 90userinit initscript from CM9 to the .zip in order to add compatibilty elsewhere...

Please do so, 'cause I've got a few phones and hate to do it manually. This is a great mod and I think it should be pinned thread.

New version in first post. :ph34r:

Guest unaszplodrmann

Probably worth noting that when switching from the old version to the new that, unless an OTA upgrade has been performed or new ROM installed, it's advisable to apply the removal zip for v1 before installing v1.1.

Probably worth noting that when switching from the old version to the new that, unless an OTA upgrade has been performed or new ROM installed, it's advisable to apply the removal zip for v1 before installing v1.1.

What he said.

I've added this info to first post now, I was tired last night so updated this quick and called it a night. Thanks for pointing it out.

Edited by Cyda

Guest Dellboy2012

Something strange is going on, even updated zip is not working for me anymore on stock 952 repack. I'll try formating my sd card.

Edited by Dellboy2012

I am using that kernel but it is the same.

I see no reason why it wouldn't work, it works with Stock+ which is just a modded stock with that very kernel.

Are you sure you are using the #19 version because the previous version didn't have init.d support. Maybe try using Geno's kernel, that has init.d support too.

Yep, that's the one I use, that is why I'm confused. Sorry for being pain in the ass.

Right, I've done a new version that should work you. It uses the install-recovery.sh method to run the mount script as I used in Int2sdext so should work on any stock rom regardless of boot.img/kernel.

Link2IntForStockRoms-CWM.zip

Edited by Cyda

• 2 weeks later...
Guest doveman

Not sure this was the cause but after installing it I went to use WOL Wake on Lan Wan https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.benfinnigan.wol and it kept saying "invalid profile name, do you have write access to the storage device" (or something very similar). I'd created the profile a few days ago and it saved fine then. I hadn't tried to move that app at that point, although I did then try to see if it would fix the problem but it didn't.

I then went to Settings - Storage and changed the default location from Internal Storage to SD Card (16GB) and after that it worked normally again. Is it a good idea to change it to that anyway?

If using this mod you REALLY do not wantt to be using the Internal storage for any other use. This mod should be used only when your 2gb internal storage is 'wasted space' and you need another use for it. Having your default storage set to internal storage and having this mod installed is not advised.

Edited by Cyda

Guest doveman

OK, I've changed it now anyway. It gets a bit confusing sometimes, as some thing refer to the internal storage as SD card and the actual SD card as SD 2 or ext SD. I thought there was some other internal storage as well (about 700MB)?

I got the impression one use of this mod was to speed up loading apps, etc compared to the ext SD card and not just to use the 'wasted space' of the internal storage but maybe I misunderstood.

I got the impression one use of this mod was to speed up loading apps, etc compared to the ext SD card and not just to use the 'wasted space' of the internal storage but maybe I misunderstood.

It should be faster than most lower class sdcards but even then the same rules apply. And yeah, you're correct, there is another internal storage, the 750mb /data partition.

Edit: I've just benched the internal storage on my G300 and it gave a fairly consistent 8mb/s write speed so should be a match for most class 8 sdcards and obviously be better than anything of lower class.

post-923750-0-86090000-1356140574_thumb.

Edited by Cyda

Guest doveman

Ah cool, I'm not going completely mad then.

I've been benching some SD cards and USB sticks on my PC to compare for my Rasberry Pi and this is the result with my Class 6 Transcend 8GB SD. Seems a lot higher than I'd expect for a class 6 but maybe it's the wrong sort of test

8gbtranscendclass6micro.png

This is a 2GB no-name/no-class SD

2gbnonamemicrosd.png

and this is my Sandisk Class 10 8GB

8gbsdsandiskclass10.png

As you can see, there's not much difference in read speeds but the Sandisk is a lot faster at 4k writes than the other two.

Anyway, what can we use the 750MB /data partition for then and how do we access it/get apps to use it?

Those speeds might be different once you get the card in the phone, mine were from when I tested mine on PC on buying it.

As for the 750mb partition it is already used by all roms; it is the /data partition on your phone.

Guest unaszplodrmann

Don't trust SD card class ratings, especially if you did not buy the card directly from a major retailer. As Cyda has said elsewhere, the Samsung Class 10s are a safe bet. Avoid Kingston; an intrepid blogger actually managed to reveal that "genuine" official Kingston Class 10 SDs are sometimes actually remarked lower grade products and sold via major retailers.

Guest doveman

Those speeds might be different once you get the card in the phone, mine were from when I tested mine on PC on buying it.

As for the 750mb partition it is already used by all roms; it is the /data partition on your phone.

Yeah I'm sure they will be. Likewise with the Raspberry Pi, apparently the SD interface is limited so it's better to run from USB even though the SD benchmarks on the PC might look better.

Glad to know that 750mb isn't going to waste ;)

Guest doveman

Don't trust SD card class ratings, especially if you did not buy the card directly from a major retailer. As Cyda has said elsewhere, the Samsung Class 10s are a safe bet. Avoid Kingston; an intrepid blogger actually managed to reveal that "genuine" official Kingston Class 10 SDs are sometimes actually remarked lower grade products and sold via major retailers.

I have terrible trouble with USB sticks and most don't reach anything like their advertised speeds, or I get a USB3 one that's OK for reads but as slow as USB2 for writes.

As those SD tests I did show though, I seem to get higher speeds than the Class would suggest with all of them.

Guest sashko69

Right, I've done a new version that should work you. It uses the install-recovery.sh method to run the mount script as I used in Int2sdext so should work on any stock rom regardless of boot.img/kernel.

Link2IntForStockRoms-CWM.zip

Not working on stock B952 repack, Link2SD can not find ext partition.

Not working on stock B952 repack, Link2SD can not find ext partition.

Strange; it should work with that rom although I haven't tested it. I'll check it out in a few days when I get some free time. In the mean time you could always add a custom kernel and use the mod from the first post.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mr_mufy

Hi Cyda.

Great Job for us owners of this phone.

I'm traying install this mod on the Lightning ROm but i can't.

Give always the error /data/extsd2 mount not found.

It's any way to fix this error?

Tks in advance.