[TIP] Australian 3G Dropouts - Oh the Humanity!

Guest bogomips

Guest bogomips

Y463b.png

In QPST I don't see any UMTS or any other menu to change the frequency bands. Please help me..

Hmm that's weird. What version of QPST are you using? I'm on 2.7 build 378, but I think it's a few years old. :)

id imagine imt2100 and bc10 combined are the go for optus?

That's what I'd try - had to lookup what BC10 stood for! (band class 10 - this page has an entry in the table for frequencies which lists the bandclass and their frequencies)

Hi, I think I may try getting my G300 working on 3G tonight. I have yet to use QPST. The need to do a factory reset after each IMEI load made it annoying. I have upgraded my CWM and made a backup. Hopefully a restore from backup will rectify this.

Good luck muniix - hope you have some success after all that hard work! :)

Hmm that's weird. What version of QPST are you using? I'm on 2.7 build 378, but I think it's a few years old. :)

Hmmm, I was using an older build that didn't have UMTS menu. Anyway, I have downloaded build 378 however, I am having a readonly problem... Could anyone tell me how to fix this?

WvcLr.png

Didn't succeed last night having another go now, i'm also getting that NV IMEI error on write, but ticked to ignore it. I believe it is to do with writing the IMIE so

should be ok to ignore it.

QPST seems to be working ok with my imei installed, well when i get the setup wrong and write it,

phone reboots and i can't scan any networks. Set it back to something that should work with GSM and all good, set WCDMA only

and i only see 3G networks on a network scan. This saves me having to do a factory reset all the time.

The channels i have selected at the moment are BC-1, BC-8, E-GSM900, IMT-2100.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UMTS_frequency_bands

Shows the IMT-2000 band channels used in Australia are bc-1 and bc8 for 2100 and 900 respectively. Channel 10 is 1700Mhz.

E-GSM 900 appears to be Edge GSM which is how i'm connected right now.

It's the other boxes I am not 100% sure about.

preferred mode: Automatic

preferred acquisition order: WCDMA, GSM

preferred network selection order: Manual

preferred service domain: Any

I do get to see all the 2g and 3g networks thou.

Still not much luck thou.

Guest bogomips

Hmmm, I was using an older build that didn't have UMTS menu. Anyway, I have downloaded build 378 however, I am having a readonly problem... Could anyone tell me how to fix this?

WvcLr.png

I sounds like QPST could not write your IMEI back to NVRAM on the phone. I've never got that message before - did you write the zeroed out IMEI to your phone before using QPST? Has your phone been unlocked? The other changes should be saved even if you get this message.

Guest bogomips

Didn't succeed last night having another go now, i'm also getting that NV IMEI error on write, but ticked to ignore it. I believe it is to do with writing the IMIE so should be ok to ignore it.

There's a setting in the BackgroundSetting menu on the phone named:

3. OTP NV filter switch.

I have no idea what it does, but pressing it "opens" the NV filter switch or "closes" it. Perhaps it has something to do with being able to write to NVRAM. Does anyone know what OTP stands for? I was thinking One-Time Password. :stab-in-the-dark:

QPST seems to be working ok with my imei installed, well when i get the setup wrong and write it,

phone reboots and i can't scan any networks. Set it back to something that should work with GSM and all good, set WCDMA only

and i only see 3G networks on a network scan. This saves me having to do a factory reset all the time.

The channels i have selected at the moment are BC-1, BC-8, E-GSM900, IMT-2100.

http://en.wikipedia....frequency_bands

Shows the IMT-2000 band channels used in Australia are bc-1 and bc8 for 2100 and 900 respectively. Channel 10 is 1700Mhz.

E-GSM 900 appears to be Edge GSM which is how i'm connected right now.

Sounds like you've covered all the major food groups. Didn't realize BC10 was 1700Mhz - thanks. I'm not sure what the difference between BC1 and IMT2100 is - they seem to cover roughly the same frequency.

It's the other boxes I am not 100% sure about.

preferred mode: Automatic

preferred acquisition order: WCDMA, GSM

preferred network selection order: Manual

preferred service domain: Any

I do get to see all the 2g and 3g networks thou.

Looks fine to me - as long as you have acquisition order as WCDMA, GSM, that should do the trick. (assuming the other settings are right too)

Still not much luck thou.

Bugger. I can recall getting Edge working just before 3G started to work - but that was on Voda. :(

Maybe try disabling either IMT2100 or BC1. Running out of options unfortunately. :/

I was just thinking the same with the imt-2100 and bc-1 myself, I'll try disabling imt-2100 first then the

other way around. I'll check through the background menu on the NV filter again.

I did notice that when i left the zero'd imei running for a week, my bill didn't go down and made a dozen or so calls

at least.

I have done a lot of tweaking. Using the following setup I have a stable connection to YES OPTUS 3G network without selecting "Use only 2G networks" but still I am not getting any 3G/H connection. I am still getting a GPRS/EDGE connection.

XbH0V.png

I have learnt my lesson. In future I will think twice before buying a cheap brand.

thanks for your efforts champ - not using 2g only is interesting

hows your area in terms of 3g/H coverage

With the same SIM and a 3G modem I get a fairly strong 3G connection.

Guest ryuhou69

Optus uses gsm 900 gsm 1800

W-cmda 900 and imt2000/2100

I believe pcs is unrelated for us

From your settings above only other relevant ones are W850 and BC6 (imt2000)?

Just an educated guess from alot of googling re what the different acronyms mean...

I think you're very close

Edited by ryuhou69

Hi faelon, You have selected the wrong bands from what I can see of your screen dump.

you shouldn't have gsm-1800, gsm-850, gsm-pcs this will confuse it and force 2G selection as you have selected 2g for the frequencies

where 3g is operating.

It is nothing to do with a cheap mobile, it is pilot error in our case, we went ahead and did some risky things on a phone that

has really adequate specs and a great developer community. the fact that we can get good high quality support for free from

the community proves this is a good device, it is always voted the best bang for the buck phone around. When setup properly

it runs really well on jellybean at 1.23Ghz. The G330 is now available dual-core, dual-sim but think it may not have a compass, just

hope some one gives dazoz a g330 to work on.

Just dropped my phone and cracked the damn screen. Well accidentally threw it when some hot ash landed on the screen, slipped out

of my hand. Still works fine but lots of cracks on the gorilla glass, if i had known it was just the gorilla glass and not the touch sensor

i wouldn't have been so concerned with the ash landing on the screen.

Who knows were to get the glass repaired from now?

Hi faelon, You have selected the wrong bands from what I can see of your screen dump.

you shouldn't have gsm-1800, gsm-850, gsm-pcs this will confuse it and force 2G selection as you have selected 2g for the frequencies

where 3g is operating.

It is nothing to do with a cheap mobile, it is pilot error in our case, we went ahead and did some risky things on a phone that

has really adequate specs and a great developer community. the fact that we can get good high quality support for free from

the community proves this is a good device, it is always voted the best bang for the buck phone around. When setup properly

it runs really well on jellybean at 1.23Ghz. The G330 is now available dual-core, dual-sim but think it may not have a compass, just

hope some one gives dazoz a g330 to work on.

Just dropped my phone and cracked the damn screen. Well accidentally threw it when some hot ash landed on the screen, slipped out

of my hand. Still works fine but lots of cracks on the gorilla glass, if i had known it was just the gorilla glass and not the touch sensor

i wouldn't have been so concerned with the ash landing on the screen.

Who knows were to get the glass repaired from now?

Hi muniix,

These are the bands that allow a stable connection to YES OPTUS 3G network. If I deselect one of them or add one more then I can't connect to YES OPTUS 3G. :)

Guest ryuhou69

Tried a million variations no go

Going to try and downgrade from 2030 see if that helps mayb this baseband doesn't like imt2100 - *downgraded but to no avail

*got bored tried my telstra sim couldnt connect to next g (850mhz) =\

Edited by ryuhou69

Guest ryuhou69

Thanks bogomips

I followed your guide and got the H symbol straight away on reboot (Vodafone AUS). One day of use and no 3G dropouts. I didn't downgrade to GB I used C00B934 from the Huawei site. Also ticked NAM lock and closed the qualcomm background setting. I had trouble getting DFS to work (doesn't on Windows 8) but after switching to XP everything went exactly as per the guide. Hopefully someone will post the Vodafone AUS ICS update when it is released. Great work!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks,

Just thought I'd drop a line here for any Telstra users that had suffered the same fate. I had great success following bogomip's guide (thank you so, so very much!) however when it came to preferred mode I selected 'WCDMA_HSDPA' rather than than the 'GSM_WCDMA' as suggested since this didn't seem to work for me.

Also for those thinking of trying this with Cyanogenmod 9 (or probably later) it doesn't appear to be possible to access the second testing menu with *#*#2846579#*#* so I don't think it's possible to run with 3G unfortunately.

Lastly, I got stuck in a boot loop after changing my settings through DFS but I still had the B944 firmware on my SD card so I just reflashed and everything came good.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

MrLem

Guest halcy0n

Hi folks,

Just thought I'd drop a line here for any Telstra users that had suffered the same fate. I

Awesome, thanks. I followed the same guide and it also worked for me, 3G data and no dropouts.

Now downloading c00b952 - I'm hoping this will also work as well as 934?

Hello, i bought this phone about a month ago and got it unlocked after a week for free through vodafone website.

Still, the phone was freezing up to 4 times in a day requiring me to remove the battery and restart it.

So as soon as i found B952 on huawei site i downloaded it and it installed beautifully. Shame is it changed baseband to 2030 and, as you know already, that makes the phone quite incompatible with AUS 3G networks. I have yet to try the complete procedure because i am on lycamobile and its low quality network (telstra 2g anyway) and i don't have a broadband connection for now. Huawei SHOULD release a rom for us aussies, that would not take them much to do.