[TIP] Australian 3G Dropouts - Oh the Humanity!

Guest bogomips

Guest halcy0n

I still can't revert back to GB or even B936. Huawei is so slow in releasing a ICS version for Oz and i am stuck with edge connectivity.

If you follow the steps in this post from Backing up your IMEI using Toolbox 5irom down it should work on the c00b952 rom.

Note it has to be the c00b952 rom, not any other variant of b952.

Also if your on lycamobile and using 2g, I'm not sure what you'll gain by enbabling the 850mhz band.

I'm on lycamobile now but its edge connectivity is even slower that the others so i will be switching to woolworths which will give me 5GB per month.

I backed up my imei, though, once for all.

Do i have to revert back to GB to change the frequencies?

If i dial *#*#4636#*#* i can see there is an option to change the radio bands but it's grey, is there any change to have access to it? I am on Win 7, anyway and my rom is the stock one from huawei site.

I tried yesterday but after zeroing my imei i had to wipe the data off and that was bothering me a lot. CWM showed up mentioning some error in E:\ and won't boot.

Also, when i was in DFS out of the three icons at the bottom of the window the last one (EQF) was yellow. Any idea?

Edited by giodc

I did it, i am on B952 with baseband 2030 and i am connected to Optus (Savvytel) in Hsdpa.

I didn't even change anything in DFS, might have been the change i did in phone information while the imei was zeroed.

Any explanation?

Guest halcy0n

I did it, i am on B952 with baseband 2030 and i am connected to Optus (Savvytel) in Hsdpa.

I didn't even change anything in DFS, might have been the change i did in phone information while the imei was zeroed.

Any explanation?

Awesome, no idea why it works.

Optus uses 900mhz for 3g so you must have installed a b952 rom that has that frequency enabled by default. What link did you use to download the rom?

Awesome, no idea why it works.

Optus uses 900mhz for 3g so you must have installed a b952 rom that has that frequency enabled by default. What link did you use to download the rom?

I took the rom from Huawei website.

http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/downloadCenter.do?method=toDownloadFile&flay=software&softid=NDcwMjk=

I think it was something i changed when the imei was zero, if you go to phone information and have a look it says GSM only. Maybe i set it to wcdma and then, when i restarted it, i got the H sign straightaway.

Try...

Edited by giodc

Hi, I am downloading it now and will try the B952GA rom on my G300 later today in the next few hours.

After I do a nandroid backup and a CWM backup to be sure. Backuped up my Sleep as Android data, and

my nova launcher data to my ext sdcard.

I'll report back how it goes, Having trouble downloading it from a 2008r2 system that using hp igel thin clients atm.

My laptop got stolen last Saterday and had it setup so well, with Opensuse 12.2 and KDE4.9.5 with the workflow plasmoid,

panels setup great, with activities for mail&chrome(canary), DevOps, WebDev (nodejs/cloud9 ide), ... was just a bout do a

full backup.

Well, to be honest i don't feel like doing that again, i might screw it up and be back at square one.

What i think i did was zeroing the imei, rebooting, dialling *#*#4636#*#* and selecting "phone information". You should "set preferred network type" set on GSM only. You should turn radio off and change it to WCDMA preferred. Reboot, then restore imei and it should work. Let me know :)

Guest danmack69

I managed to follow this right through but my IMEI will not restore now. I have copied my backup IMEI (5iRom file) several times but when I check with *#06# i get a number that is not consistant with that of the IMEI thats printed on the side of the box my phone came in.

I am a Vodafone AU user and while I can get a 3G connection at home with my home WIFI connected, it drops out as soon as i leave the house and am only able to use a 2G connection with no data transfer available.

Any idea if i can re write my 5iRom file with my original IMEI or rewrite my phone?

• 2 weeks later...

Big thank you for writing up this guide, I thought my phone was doomed. Should definitely be printed in Big Letters at the top of the CM9 and CM10 guides for Australians not to attempt this. It's a shame though, I miss Jelly Bean.

• 2 months later...
Guest Love_Android

A very detailed post! Great to have such information available.

I just got this phone Huawei G300+ (Vodafone AU PrePaid), and noticed that the revision I have is not 8815-51 but 8815-71. I believe this updated "+" version has support for more bands (850/900/2100 I think).

Would I be facing the same issues when upgrading using the method outlined here?

Has anyone tried upgrading (either to an official ICS image or CyanogenMod 10.1) with G300+?

Thank you very much ...

Cheers

Guest halcy0n

Has anyone tried upgrading (either to an official ICS image or CyanogenMod 10.1) with G300+?

I don't think there is an official ICS image for Vodafone AU users yet? Otherwise you could just flash that and all of the above problems would go away.

I believe the problem with CM10.1 is that you can't access the test menu. This may have changed, try it out and let us know if it you have success?

Guest Love_Android

Thank you for your reply halcy0n.

I checked the specs for the G300+ (8815-71). The band information is as follows:

• 2G Network Band: 850/900/1800/1900

• 3G Network Band: 850/900/2100

I believe for the G300 (8815-51) the 3G network band was only 850/2100.

Would the above detailed procedures apply for me as well? (including the IMEI swap)

Or should I follow the guide for CyanogenMod 10.1 R3?

Any suggestions?

Guest nobody008

Haha I don't need it anymore managed to get it working :) with restored IMEI (the new B952 seems to not like 3g @@ it resets when I update it)

Guest Love_Android

Is there a way to get the GingerBread image/firmware that is installed on my G300+ and save it somewhere while I do all the experimenting with the custom roms? Apparently the Huawei website does not host the one for Australia :(

Thank you ...

• 4 weeks later...
Guest KaterM

this post should actually solve the problem:

http://www.modaco.co...-latin-america/

The poster offers the modems (partition 10 and 11) of the U8815-51 used in Latin America by some 850MHz 3G providers.

Sounds familiar?

from the source:

package_extract_file("modem_st1_LA.img", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p10");

package_extract_file("modem_st2_LA.img", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p11");

And that's exactly the reason why the ICS modems from B926 China Unicom from this post:

do NOT work for 850MHz 3G.

Because the modems are different.

On a different note you could of course backup these two blocks to some safe place from your working GB ROM and start experimenting ;)

Edited by KaterM

Guest mnirun

this post should actually solve the problem:

http://www.modaco.co...-latin-america/

The poster offers the modems (partition 10 and 11) of the U8815-51 used in Latin America by some 850MHz 3G providers.

Sounds familiar?

from the source:

package_extract_file("modem_st1_LA.img", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p10");

package_extract_file("modem_st2_LA.img", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p11");

And that's exactly the reason why the ICS modems from B926 China Unicom from this post:

http://www.modaco.co...a11-in-any-rom/

do NOT work for 850MHz 3G.

Because the modems are different.

On a different note you could of course backup these two blocks to some safe place from your working GB ROM and start experimenting ;)

Thank you for information, my 3G is now back to life :)

Guest KaterM

CyanogenMod 9.1 ICS and 10.1 JB from Dazozo are now both multi-baseband.

No need to put any ICS UPDATE.APP on your Aussie GB and break 3G ;)

Just put CWM 4 or 5 on, back up the system, and flash away :-)

Additionally you should backup your IMEI (5) and modems (10, 11) with :

ToolBox5iromV1.0.4.2.apk http://www.mediafire.com/?za08r2yqcer5jac

Toolbox5irom makes the backup of the IMEI using three files: 5.img, 10.img and 11.img. ...

Is there a way to get the GingerBread image/firmware that is installed on my G300+ and save it somewhere while I do all the experimenting with the custom roms? Apparently the Huawei website does not host the one for Australia :(

Edited by KaterM

Guest halcy0n

CyanogenMod 9.1 ICS and 10.1 JB from Dazozo are now both multi-baseband.

No need to put any ICS UPDATE.APP on your Aussie GB and break 3G ;)

Just put CWM 4 or 5 on, back up the system, and flash away :-)

Additionally you should backup your IMEI (5) and modems (10, 11) with :

ToolBox5iromV1.0.4.2.apk http://www.mediafire...za08r2yqcer5jac

Awesome sauce, thanks!