Headphones

Guest HeikoH

G'day!

I haven't seen it being discussed before, but does the button on the stock headphones work for anyone? Jays Headphone Control didn't recognize the click for me, even in debug mode, however the microphone works wonders.

So does anyone else have such problem or has any other headphones with button(s) that do or don't work?

Note: tried them with my Xperia X8 as well with no luck.

Edit: according to the general pinout guide, the resistance between pins 2 and 3 (audio right and gnd accordingly) changes from 35 kOhm to 34 Ohm when the button is being pressed. Skate and X8 should be using the same layout, so it should work on either one.

Edit 2: after some measuring, I've figured that GND and MIC are reversed from the universal layout.

minijack4pin.gif

4 MIC&Control / 3 GND / 2 RIGHT / 1 LEFT

x5VY1.jpg

dGirq.jpg

Edited by HeikoH

The button works fine for me, simple pause/play function. The only time I've had headphone issues is with iphone headphones, I only get sound through one ear unless I hold down the volume buttons, then I get full sound.

Thanks for the reply! What ROM are you on?

Another weird thing is that Keytest app by Chris Boyle recognizes the headset button click just fine!

Edit.

And here it is... Getting a hint from a similar topic and using my previous knowledge with swapping keys, all you have to do is add a line into your keylayout file. Following the given thread, you have to modify the files in /system/usr/keylayout/ (at least one of them, but I'm currently unaware of the specific one because of laziness) by adding key 226 MEDIA_NEXT at the end of each file. Then you can download Headset Button Controls from Play Store to modify the actions.

I'll update this thread with specific instructions once I'm awake again.

Edit: I've been a little late, but pretty much all you have to do to get everything working is to run the following from terminal or adb's shell.

mount -o rw,remount /system

echo "key 226 MEDIA_NEXT" >> /system/usr/keylayout/qwerty.kl

Edited by HeikoH

I'm currently on Paranoid ICS, so if I modify the system files, will that work for the iPhone headphones or is that just for the stock headphones? I haven't tried the headphones with the stock music player though, I'm using the ported walkman app.

It caught my attention somewhere that the iPhone headphones use a different layout, hence it would have to be physically modified - but I'm not entirely sure yet as I can't research at the moment.

I'm on Cyanogenmod 7.2 myself.

Edited by HeikoH

Heh yeah my current modification consists of electrical tape holding the volume keys down. I just think the sound quality of the iPhone headphones are better than the stock ones and they stay in my deranged ears better.

I'm quite sure that the iPhone's headphones can't be opened without damage, but it was a long time ago since I last had them.

The quality of the stock headphones is indeed bad. I opened mine up and swapped the earphones with a 3.5 mm female socket last night that I'm now using with a pair of Koss The Plug. Saved a few bucks this way. I'll post pictures later today.

Yeah the iPhone headphones aren't the best, but they're the only ones i've found so far, that stay in my ears and i'm not a fan of big headphones. I may invest in a pair of wrap around headphones, but we'll have to see.

• 6 months later...
Guest Medo3G

So, this is a revelation to me. is there a way to make the phone work with headphones with a headphone button through a patch or something?

I tend to run through headphones quickly and having to tear each new one apart is inconvenient.

Guest HeikoH

As far as I know, no. It should be physically different routing of PCB tracks inside the phone.

I currently own a pair of Koss The Plugs (Amazon) and they are just over a year old. Call me cheap or whatever, but I don't want to let these go and would rather repair them than buy new ones.

All I've done to mine so far has been replacing the buds with ones from hardware store (as have done many others) and the 3.5 mm cable with a cheap eBay one - so far so good.