Jr11 (JDQ39 / 4.2.2): MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Nexus 4

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Involver

Flashed stock 4.3 over Jr11 yesterday, re-rooted using chainfire SU. No problems so far and no wipe needed. I did allready have TWRM installed tho. Will post later after today, but for now I'm happy! Used this simple guide http://android.sc/update-google-nexus-4-to-official-android-4-3-jelly-bean-jwr66v-firmware-ota/ (second part), which is more or less correct.

Guest Involver

Well - end of workday and nothing unusual ;-) Will post over the weekend if something should happen, but for now I'm happy with stock 4.3 (ok, ok, I did just install Franco Kernel...)

Guest The Soup Thief

@comicbookguy After getting used to expanded desktop and pie on PA I've been using stock 4.3 (steady & smooth) with Auto Hide Softkeys from the Play Store and LMT (the apk is in an xda thread) to get a very customisable Pie.

Just trying to find a way to get custom pull down settings and I'm golden! With a device this quick and a rom as smooth as 4.3 I'm not sure how much polish custom rooms will add. Of course I'll change my tune when there's a stable PAs & CMs!

I'll upload a screen shot of my expanded desktop & LMT when I'm near a pc if I remember

Guest comicbookguy

Autohide Softkeys Pro is great. (it just needs a tablet mode so you can shift the softkeys to the left and it'll be golden) Been using it about a week and much prefer it to PIE.

I wasn't aware there was a franco for 4.3 yet..... flashed my backup and testing now ;)

My main issues with 4.3 are:

low bluetooth volume issue (franco seems to have fixed this to a useable level, tho not as high as r12. need to test more).

the headphone volume nag and headphone volume (franco kernel headphone volume boost seems to have no effect at the moment)

cLock (CM clock app) not integrating with alarms (touching the widget does not take you anywhere)

no EPM yet

managed to get 1% stock offset battery mod that works

Edited by comicbookguy

Guest Involver

Ok, after a few days using stock 4.3 with Franco, dirty flashed over jr11 I've only encountered a minor issue where I (for some reason) had to re-enter my SIM pincode. The phone didn't fully reboot as I didn't have to unlock. Other thing I've just noticed is the time was incorrectly set (was set to manual, not network synced). These could very well be due to the non-final SU from Chainfire, the non-stocl Franco Kernel or me dirty flashing over jr11... If it happens again I'll reflash to undo franco's kernel... other than that, still happy, especially with all track metadata being correctly displayed on my BMW iDrive - yay!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest andygeog

FYI, I contacted Paul via Twitter last week and he said there are plans for a 4.3 update for our N4 devices.

I'm still running 4.2.2 on mine but have gone to 4.3 stock on my N7 (it needed a reset anyway). There really isn't any day-to-day difference since Google started rolling out good app updates to combat sluggish OEMs.

It is frustrating when our subscription is lapsing but I guess that's the trade off in being a fan of Paul's work.

Edited by andygeog

Guest Involver

Well - tbh 4.3 does make a big difference and (BT 4.0 and finally support AVRCP) and I'm not really missing anything from jr11 since going to stock 4.3. Only really annoying bug is the stuff I mentioned a few posts back. I've been using (and paying for) MCR ever since I got my HTC Hero, but I feel there's really not much room for improvement to 4.3 when you prefer a stock ROM (as opposed to completely transformed custom ROMs). We'll see what happens here, but I'm loosing interest pretty quick...

Guest comicbookguy

the cm10.2 nightlies are already very polished. ive moved over to that from the modoco/cm10.1 hybrid. I'll happily stick to them until something surfaces in either thread on here. the headphone/a2dp volumes are much better than stock.

Edited by comicbookguy

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest Faisal Yasin

Seems paul is busy and devices are not getting much love. Its almost year since I got any MCR update for my devices.  N4. And now No news on N5 as well. I am not active on forums here. But I do support his hard work. I hope we will get 4.4 MCR soon.

• 2 years later...