Screen won't stay lit on G300

Guest Sgt.Cupid

Guest Sgt.Cupid

My wife has a G300 ascend which suddenly switched off while she was playing a game and was unresponsive to any input. I removed the battery and when it booted up the huawei logo flashed breifly then went out. I then randomly stabbed the buttons and the backlight flashed on enough for me to see the lock screen but too quickly for me to input anything. I left the battery out for a few days but the display doesn't want to light at all now, although you can hear the volume change noise when you press the vol rocker button and the 3 keys light up below the display, so I'm assuming it booted OK.

It's not been dropped and the only bit of software fiddling that has been done to this phone was a firmware update about a month ago, but its been fine since that, until now.

Any ideas?

Guest Hogweed

Will it boot into stock recovery? Pull battery out for a few secs then replace and boot with volume UP-held down as well as power (keep holding both buttons for several secs after phone begins to startup). Do you get the recovery menu?

Edited by Hogweed

Guest Sgt.Cupid

Tried booting to stock recovery, felt it vibrate, but screen stayed black. It does boot in the normal way because I can hear the sound when using increase/decrease volume buttons, but as there is no back light so I can't see anything on the display. If I connect it to my PC Hi Suite tells me USB debugging is not switched on and windows can access some basic files (document, driver, autorun.inf and mobile partner.ico)

Is it possible that the back light has just failed or is it more likely to be the software controlling it?

Edited by Sgt.Cupid

Guest Sgt.Cupid

Unfortunately it's out of warranty, was hoping you guys on here, who have far more knowledge than me, would help to fix it. Is there any way of getting into the phone settings via PC ?

Also, if it is a back light failure, can it be replaced or would it mean a complete new screen? And where could I get a job like that done?

Guest Sgt.Cupid

Thanks Frodo, not aware of mymobiler so i've installed it but it doesn't see the G300. I don't think USB debugging or Unknown source were enabled before phone went tits up. :(

I tried shining a torch at the display and can just make out the home screen. Is there any little trick to illuminate the screen from the front just enough to see the touchscreen 'buttons' so I can get into the menu?