[MOD] [CM10] Support for PDroid 2.0 in CyanogenMod 10 for the G300

Guest unaszplodrmann

Guest unaszplodrmann

Following on from the packages for the old version of PDroid for CM9, here are some packages that add/remove support for PDroid 2.0 to CyanogenMod 10 for the Huawei Ascend G300. Unlike the previous offering, this mod includes the PDroid 2.0 user application itself, which is not available via the Play Store.

These should only be applied against version R5 from the 21/1/2013. If you damage your CM installation by applying them to the wrong version, then it sucks to be you, Mr Anderson.

red zip || blue zip

The red.zip will add support for PDroid to your CM installation, along with the settings app, whilst the blue.zip can be used to restore the original, unmodified files, whereby removing support for PDroid.

---

IMPORTANT NOTE for those upgrading via OTA from CM9:

The PDroid 2.0 database is not compatible with the old PDroid format. After upgrading to CM10, Please apply the blue zip before applying the red zip, as the former will clean up your old PDroid installation in preparation for PDroid 2.0.

Edited by unaszplodrmann

Anyone had any issues with this? I tried it (flashed blue first as advised) and everything seemed to work but when i tried to change the settings in the PDroid app I got a message about unable to save settings. I've since restored back to a previous nandroid but I'll try it again later if it is working fine for everyone else.

Guest unaszplodrmann

Anyone had any issues with this? I tried it (flashed blue first as advised) and everything seemed to work but when i tried to change the settings in the PDroid app I got a message about unable to save settings. I've since restored back to a previous nandroid but I'll try it again later if it is working fine for everyone else.

It sounds like the blue zip didn't remove /data/system/{privacy.db,privacy.db-journal,privacy} as expected. I'm guessing that the old PDroid app was not removed, either. For now, just delete the old data store and it'll work fine. I'll likely have to improve the edify stuff with a conditional statement or two, that's all.

Tried it again, made sure that the /data/system/privacy and privacy.db/privacy.db-journal were removed but the same error occurs.

post-923750-0-27266100-1355238314_thumb.

Guess its just me getting this error then?

Guest unaszplodrmann

It works for me at least. Blue removes the data store and both PDroid/PDroid 2.0 settings apps, as expected. I didn't make their removal conditional as Edify handles everything gracefully enough. I'm going t knck out some packages that add support for the original PDroid to CM10, anyway. I'm quickly finding that this incarnation isn't so much to my liking; too many options, not enough sound design choices.

I don't think it was anything wrong with the zip but I still couldn't work out wtf was going on. Checked for those files/folder and they were gone, reinstalled, checked permissions and still kept getting the error. Logcat gave no clues so in the end jI ust bit the bullet and did a fresh install of CM10 - everything worked first time after that.

Cheers btw.

Guest jsevi83

I uninstalled the old PDroid, flashed the blue zip and then the red one, and everything is working perfect. Thanks a lot, PDroid2 is much nicer than the older version!

Guest unaszplodrmann

I don't think it was anything wrong with the zip but I still couldn't work out wtf was going on. Checked for those files/folder and they were gone, reinstalled, checked permissions and still kept getting the error. Logcat gave no clues so in the end jI ust bit the bullet and did a fresh install of CM10 - everything worked first time after that.

Cheers btw.

Hmm... I was thinking it'd be a uid issue, but then you would've seen it in the cat of the log. Oh well, am relieved it's working for you now. Meanwhile, I'm running PDroid 1.32 on CM10... ;)

For what you actually use this?

It has a few uses. Some use it to avoid detection when they're on dangerous missions for super-secret international organisations, but most use it to squeeze cats out of logs.

:rolleyes:

Thanks for the feedback, guys. :)

Guest Davidoff59

Sorry I feel a bit if a plonker asking this and I know there are some explanations in the app itself.

Any resources on what can safely be switched off? I have done a search but only found the xda dev thread and no real explanation of the permissions and what they do.

I used lbe extensively but it's not supported on jb.

Any info appreciated.

Do People generally leave the Google apps alone.

Guest unaszplodrmann

No need to feel a plonker, it's a perfectly reasonable question, I'd say. As far as I know, disabling access to information and functions will not cause apps to crap themselves, on the main part. Are there any permissions in particular that you're wondering about?

I can only speak for myself, but when it comes to the gapps, yes I generally leave them alone, but there is no reason not to deny access to particular information, if it isn't required in your use of their apps and services.

Guest Davidoff59

There are quite a few I don't really understand. Some permissions are quite disturbing like incoming phone number on a torch app or use of the camera on Firefox, something I could not think of a reason for it having or needing.

I may just do up a list at some stage, and post it in here and any blanks can be explained by the community. It's good to understand the reasons behind a permission, that way you learn and remember it better. It's a bit like doing something for years but never really understanding it fully, and then one day your like ah, that's what that is for.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest unaszplodrmann

Probably. But if Daz has made framework changes between revisions, apply the R1 package will probably revert fixes and even create additional problems. You need to understand the nature of this package; its a bunch of modified system files, not a couple of additional .apks and a launcher script...

Apologie for the delay, I'll upload a new version soon. I'm on CM9 here atm...

Guest unaszplodrmann

One example is opera mini, with sim info turned off, it won't work. I am on wifi so what has sim info got to do with it?

Sorry for the belated reply. At a guess, I'd say that Opera is trying to get your country code for localistion. But why get that from the SIM? Opera Mini is potentially a powerful demographic info farming tool, given that all page requests necessarily go to their servers.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest unaszplodrmann

Links updated. I'll probably be dropping the PDroid2.0 updates soon in favour of OpenPDroid, depending on if/when my G300 arrives back from repair.