[OFFTOPIC] China Phone Discussion - UPDATED 30/10/2013

Guest kyan31

Guest Colossae3.23

so... what are people planning on getting now ???

i "was" planning on a G4 but now i'm not so sure :huh: and i like the look of that vowne v5 with USB OTG / OGS display (Apparently only £119).

For me at the moment its between the three, G4 been the least favorable

Vowne v5 or UMI X2 (more than likely)

JiaYu G4 :ph34r:

I'm going to bide my time. Still got to remember that the gizchina articles are on pre-production models

Guest Rico_89

so... what are people planning on getting now ???

i "was" planning on a G4 but now i'm not so sure :huh: and i like the look of that vowne v5 with USB OTG / OGS display (Apparently only £119).

For me at the moment its between the three, G4 been the least favorable

Vowne v5 or UMI X2 (more than likely)

JiaYu G4 :ph34r:

Right now I'm looking at the V5, it's only £119 and if it stays that way then the other two just aren't worth the extra £40 to £50. I have been a little suspicious of so many 13 megapixel cameras on a lot of these Chinese phones and after seeing the pics/vids in the post above then I don't actually think the hardware cant cope with the camera, although the pictures were not that bad to be honest. However the V5 has an 8 mega-pixel camera and "Face Detection": 5:50 into this video and you can see the option in the camera settings:

Now the others might have this feature too but I've never seen it confirmed yet.

Also the 5" HD screen looks awesome and it seemed to deal with full webpages smoothly even when playing a video while zooming in and out.

... But hey, tomorrow might bring a different pot of gold under a different rainbow so I'm still interested in what's been turning up in this thread .lol

Edited by Rico_89

Guest blaster99999

Ive come to same conclusion , I've just upgraded to zte v970 , got Bruno custom rom on it , dual core dual sim £83 delivered. Will wait a few months until some of these £100 quad core phones have been released and been reviewed , then will upgrade again.

Edited by blaster99999

Guest Wacky.ddw

18MP camera thats insane :S To bad its a galaxy S4 wanabe...

http://www.fastcardt...DC-Galaxy-S4-EX

Also an other Jiayu G4 video i really really like its design the thin borders make it beautyfull. Even tough i am getting impatient i hope they dont rush it and make it a great phone.

Edited by Wacky.ddw

Guest dakok

Right now I'm looking at the V5, it's only £119 ......

Check the bottom right side of opened phone at 3:00 in video (in full screen).

Wrinkly plastic area, the same thing I saw in some Jiayu phone videos.

Anybody seen that?

Edited by dakok

Guest bryfly

wonder why ZTE never brought theses to the uk under a carrier... there both better than the Huawei G510

ZTE N909

ZTE V967S

i like the design of this

Morning tillaz............stick with the Verne V5.......you know you really want to..... ;)

Guest Rico_89

Check the bottom right side of opened phone at 3:00 in video (in full screen).

Wrinkly plastic area, the same thing I saw in some Jiayu phone videos.

Anybody seen that?

Yeah I've seen it.

It looks kind of chiselled most likely because of the mould it was injected into, but that doesn't bother me, on the V5, because the business end at the top, where the hardware is located, it's as finished as the Samsung Galaxy S series unlike the Jiayu G4.

I've been looking at this whole ever increasing MP camera insanity and I think anything over 8mp might not produce the best pictures or experience.

The Galaxy S3 benchmarks around 13 000 and has an 8mp camera, and all of these phones we have been looking at score between 10 000 to 13 000 and have a 13mp camera, where as the Galaxy S4 has a 13mp camera but scores near 30 000, with the quad core Exynos version expected to go into 30k. I think to make it sound like you're getting something close to an S4 they are slapping 13mp's on everything. But honestly the pictures were pretty good and the video seems ok and I can bet if you fiddled around and maybe turned off auto focus then you could improve things.

----------------

Wow the build quality on the ZTE looks as good as an HTC. If all this goes ToneT's up then I'll be looking at something like that. :)

Guest Colossae3.23

I agree with you about the camera sensors. I've seen some of these Chinese phones saying that have the Sony Exmoor 13mp sensor. Again, this "sounds" good, but even in the high end Sony's, with that sensor don't seem to be better than the Nokia, Apple and Samsung's cameras. I'd rather have less mp and have a back-lit sensor and a lens aperture of 2.2 or less.

Guest blaster99999

is it just me or what, but im not too bothered about the camera, im more than happy with the g300 5mp one , im more interested in the speed of the phone and good ui, and dual sim, and good screen, im sure most of these 13mp camera spec is not true.

Guest Colossae3.23

is it just me or what, but im not too bothered about the camera, im more than happy with the g300 5mp one , im more interested in the speed of the phone and good ui, and dual sim, and good screen, im sure most of these 13mp camera spec is not true.

no, your right there are loads of people don't see the camera in their phone as a high priority. I'm just not one of them. I think the camera on the G300 is only worth something in bright sunlight. So, I'm looking to improve on it.

Guest Wacky.ddw

The zte v987 is just a fat ZTE grand S it really has a bad antutu score... If i had the money i would just buy the ZTE grand S :P but i dont so im just going to wait a little

Guest Wacky.ddw

I think i might just save my money a little and get a Xiaomi M2A since andi from giz china is so crazy about it and a lot of people are buying this phone so it will have a lot of support. Also it doest have a mediatek CPU so it will get a lot of updates and custom roms...

The only thing that i dont like is that it only has a 8mp camera. But they have F2.2 apertures (But i dont have a clue what that means :P)

http://www.gizchina....specifications/

Edited by Wacky.ddw

Guest Colossae3.23

The only thing that i dont like is that it only has a 8mp camera. But they have F2.2 apertures (But i dont have a clue what that means :P)

its how far the shutter opens (aperture = opening). Smaller the number the bigger the opening (don't ask me why) So, the bigger the opening the more light that gets in, and that is a good thing with the tiny sensors that are found in phones.

More mpx is only part of good quality and this is the problem. Manufacturers hype it up cause they know it sells. But 8mp is way more than enough for good photo quality, IF it has a good size sensor and a shutter that will open far enough.

PS: here is an article on the camera quality the original M2 (8mp). Andi perfers if over the Newman N2 (13mp), and I'd agree.

http://www.gizchina.com/2013/02/02/xiaomi-m2-vs-newman-n2-camera-shootout/

Edited by Colossae3.23

Guest Rico_89

I totally agree with Colossa3;

8mp with that benchmark should equal great pics, with zero lag when you take the picture. And videos should be smooth and lag free.

My only problem with the Xiaomi M2A, apart from the small 4.5 inch screen, is the price, if I'm going to spend over £200 then I'd rather buy an LG :http://www.expansys....0-black-229927/ £250, 5" and in country.

Now if I did have a spare £300 plus laying around and a plane ticket to China then this is what I would save for; The Xiaomi Mi3 Probably the best looking phone I've seen.

2.5gb ram: Quad core; 5" IPS screen; 13mp camera..

Mi3_04.jpg

xiaomi-m3-designs-leaked.jpeg

3-Alleged-XiaoMi-Mi3-photos.jpg

XiaoMi-Mi3_2.jpg

Edited by Rico_89

Guest Colossae3.23

Just was looking at Xiaomi phone on Wikipedia. These two comments below make a bit of sense out the wait that is associated with the Jiayu G4 and UMI X2.

I think we look at these phones we see high quality and low price, but then don't realize the stocks are limited to keep the costs down. Last year the Newman N2 was just like the G4 and X2, are this year: rare as hen's teeth...

Xiaomi sells most smartphones online, in small quantities. However, Xiaomi pinned their success on the combination of short supply and high-quality, low‐priced products.

Xiaomi has so far sold 300,000 units of MI-Two smartphones, though the company intentionally limits production of the device to capitalize on the consumers’ wants and monitor surpluses.

Guest Wacky.ddw

Seems that there is a xiaomi m2a with 32gb and a 13mp camera but the price starts at 300€ in china so it will be a lot more outside of china wich is to mutch.

They just have to release the jiayu g4 then i wouldnt have any doubts...

Guest tillaz

Seems that there is a xiaomi m2a with 32gb and a 13mp camera but the price starts at 300€ in china so it will be a lot more outside of china which is to much.

They just have to release the jiayu g4 then i wouldnt have any doubts...

i'd rather have a nexus 4 at that price... one of the best supported phones around, nothing better than been able to build a fully working AOKP / PAC / CM / PA etc...

also, with xiaomi you get MIUI rather than stock android, which could be good or bad, i personally like MIUI but would not want to be stuck with it.

if the G4 was available now (1GB version) for the £100 retail price i would take it straight away...

not sure i would pay any more since its just to mess around with.

and the 4.7 inch display is perfect size for me (same as my nexus 4), not keen on my parents 5 inch display as its hard to use with one hand :(

Guest Wacky.ddw

The Dutch (Netherlands) Jiayu posted this on facebook:

Goed nieuws!

De Jiayu G3 Quad Core en de Jiayu G4 Basic zijn vanaf vandaag beschikbaar als pre-order op onze website. Zorg dat je er snel bij bent, de eerste batch bestaat uit een beperkte hoeveelheid. Uitlevering vindt plaats op volgorde van besteldatum.

De verwachte leverdatum is 1 juni!

Translation:

Good news!

The Jiayu G3 Quadcore and the Jiayu G4 Basic are available for pre-order from today on our website. Make sure you are fast, the fist batch consists of a limited amount. The delivery is in the same order of the ordering date.

Expected deliverdate is 1 june

So this is pretty good news since this is only 2 weeks :D

Edited by Wacky.ddw