[OFFTOPIC] China Phone Discussion - UPDATED 30/10/2013

Guest kyan31

Guest kaizoku_san

I tried a number of codes on merimobiles, and none of them worked (VIP, google, welcome, etc, etc)

I did see a message come up saying $10 off via FB...but I don't use FB!!!

Guest Sere83

I tried a number of codes on merimobiles, and none of them worked (VIP, google, welcome, etc, etc)

I did see a message come up saying $10 off via FB...but I don't use FB!!!

I used MOE try that. Only 4% though

Guest kaizoku_san

I used MOE try that. Only 4% though

Thanks Sere (and others who gave me a code), but I already placed the order. Might be useful for someone else tho, so thanks for posting.

Guest Sere83

Thanks Sere (and others who gave me a code), but I already placed the order. Might be useful for someone else tho, so thanks for posting.

No Worries

Sim card configuration for Vowney V5 shown below....

Full Size sim on left for GSM slot, micro sim in middle for WCDMA slot

b98055e1751509d4.jpg

Edited by Sere83

Guest arranhs

Lol i thought id post this for your enjoyment.

So someone posted on HotUKDeals about the oppo find 5 about what the specs were and how good it was for the price being offered. This caused it to become very "hot" the website with a lot of people appreciating the deal. Then some dude came long and commented

"Absolutely crap, I would never buy a phone with no name, what in the hell is oppo find 5.

Its all Chinese cheap imitation, made somewhere deep in rural china, with no electricity and cheap labour too. So a big NO for me...COLD"

It just made me laugh so much :P

Oh and here is the deal if your interested :)

Guest Sere83

So someone posted on HotUKDeals about the oppo find 5 about what the specs were and how good it was for the price being offered. This caused it to become very "hot" the website with a lot of people appreciating the deal. Then some dude came long and commented

"Absolutely crap, I would never buy a phone with no name, what in the hell is oppo find 5.

Its all Chinese cheap imitation, made somewhere deep in rural china, with no electricity and cheap labour too. So a big NO for me...COLD"

It just made me laugh so much :P

Oh and here is the deal if your interested :)

hahaha what a joker. Has this guy never been on youtube or visited a tech website before? Feel sorry for him in 5-10 years when the top 5 phone manufacturers will probably be Chinese.

Edited by Sere83

Guest dakok

I made a table of 4.5" - 5" / Quad/1Gb Ram / 160-250 USD China brand phones available

in major phone shops (merimobiles, pandawill, etotalk...)

Is there a way to post it somewhere in editable format so it can be updated with your comments?

Here`s a pic:

Clipboard_2.jpg

I need to add Jiayu and one or two more. Then other useful info can be added or things corrected.

Guest kyan31
I made a table of 4.5" - 5" / Quad/1Gb Ram / 160-250 USD China brand phones available

Is there a way to post it somewhere in editable format so it can be updated with your comments?

Here`s a pic:

Clipboard_2.jpg

I need to add Jiayu and one or two more. Then other useful info can be added or things corrected.

Cool, I'm sure it will come in handy once its finished :)

Guest arranhs

Here`s a pic:

Clipboard_2.jpg

Upload it to Google docs (actually it google drive now but it technically the same thing), then make it public. Then we will all be able to edit + read it :)

Plus if you do do that ill do some editing of it myself and add on the prices at verious stores. I love spreadsheets :P

Edited by arranhs

Guest tillaz

this is so funny because the guy who said that also said

"I think I better stick with my iPhone 5 , its only one of the biggest brands in the world, unlike the oppo **** 5"

lol what do all iphones say on the back of them ? >>> Designed in California Assembled in China

e2196de729719625a3bb5c7c2d41f923.jpg

Guest tillaz

Gee!

~15% more than most mtk6589/1Gb devices.

tongue.png

but how much of that score is coming from the extra 1GB RAM ? quite a bit i would think...

if we deduct that we will see the real difference between the two :)

Guest aliaird

Well I've given up waiting.

I have ordered the 1GB Jiayu G4 with a 3000mAh battery. I like the look and the styling and size and loved my Jiayu G2 until I dropped it.

I have decided I don't multi task enough to warrant 2GB anyway, and it will mean I feel less guilty when i want to upgrade to whatever the next big thing after Quad core is!

Guest Sere83

Yeah the MT6589T looks like a nice little upgrade, seems to be about on par with Galaxy S3 in terms of antutu and potentially could even out perform it on power consumption at least. MT6589T devices might also feel a touch smoother in real world use without the bloat of touchwiz. Amazing when you consider how cheap these phones are. I had seen the news about MT6589T before I ordered the Vowney biut suspected we would not see the hardware for a while and got impatient.

Well I've given up waiting.

I have ordered the 1GB Jiayu G4 with a 3000mAh battery. I like the look and the styling and size and loved my Jiayu G2 until I dropped it.

I have decided I don't multi task enough to warrant 2GB anyway, and it will mean I feel less guilty when i want to upgrade to whatever the next big thing after Quad core is!

Yeah Jiayu G4 is a nice phone for sure, I love the thin bezels, the reason I went vowney v5 instead though was the price difference. I saw the G4 for about $218 on most sites but because its so scarce at the momet some are listing the basic model for as much as $268 and when you consider the vowney goes for as low as $172 and the hardware is pretty much the the same it just didnt seem worth it for thinner bezels. Looks sweet though

How much you pay in the end?

Edited by Sere83

Guest dakok

G4 1.2GHz overclocked by 20% = 1.5GHz

Antutu 13500 raised by 20% = 15800

Turbo chip my arse :D

Look at here:

http://www.aliexpres.../854270858.html

Scrolling down a bit shows this:

Features: OS: Android OS, v4.1.9 (Ice Cream Sandwich)

CPU: quad cores1.5 GHz CPU (It was 1.2 GHz, but we overclock the CPU to 1.5 GHz)

With OC kernel, everyone`s gonna have a Turbo Chip.

I have a g300 Turbo, btw

:D

Edited by dakok

Guest dakok

Here you have a spreadsheet with MTK6589 / 4.5" - 5" / Quad/1Gb Ram / 160-250 USD China brand phones available

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AohuyVgvdssGdE41ajh4cm80R1VRTk9fX2JlV1ROY3c&usp=sharing[/CODE]

You can add comments. If someone wants to colaborate - PM me.

Guest sedj

Yeh a bit of overclocking always helps, as it does with the g300.

The thing with these chinese phones is the have one thing and not the other, the g300 was good because it was cheap and at the time good spec. It has gorilla glass an ips screen and now lots of roms and overclocking potential. Some of the other offerings lately dont come across as having gorilla glass which is a major plus point for me and also the screen situation is somewhat vague, we all want ips with good viewing angles and something looking like super amoled or similar? We dont ask for much but in chinese terms there is always a trade of somewhere.

Which leads me to believe you get what you pay for, this latest string of mtk6589 devices just begs the question "what are the chances of rom development on this platform" or is it more a case of this is the cheapest processor let the public deal with it?

Guest Frankish

Some of these phones are great prices for quad core etc but i'll be stuck wondering what phone will get updates regularly, what will get CM support etc.

Also seeing loads of recommendations for quad core beasts but what about some dual core bargains for spare phones? :)

Guest dakok

MTK6589 phone invasion will most probably result in ROM invasion. There will be

many adapted roms from one device to another.

Regarding screen situation - all of them have IPS, some have OGS, G+G and AGC

BTW, I paid 220 USD for g300 :D 6 months ago.

And look at those specs now!

Guest Frankish

What is OGS, G+G and AGC?

I think the thing to do with these chinese phones is to just remember you're buying the phone as it is (so on the OS it comes with) and that they aren't under any contract to provide updates. Most big companies are still awful at updates anyway so not like it would be much different.

Guest tillaz

With OC kernel, everyone`s gonna have a Turbo Chip.

now there's no chance of kernel source for the G4 ... laugh.png

What is OGS

OGS = One Glass Solution

as far as i know its the display laminated onto the glass