[OFFTOPIC] China Phone Discussion - UPDATED 30/10/2013

Guest kyan31

Guest apple2005

I should have tried that with the payment.... Ask them to ship the phone and when they query the payment I'll just say "don't worry it will arrive". :P

They replied to my request..

.. so now I'll look forward to delays, disappointment and frustration ;) .

Seems like all these stores are the same. I bought two tablets from jd.com... After 1 week of payment, they sent me an email that there is delay due to the airlines not accepting batteries. This is a pure lie. Didn't they know that all the phones are supposed to go via air cargo? They will make one or the other excuse to delay shipping because they don't have stocks. But why they don't tell the truth when we are buying?

Guest dakok

I saw a documentary on tv where strangers in chinese town were adviced not to ask locals for directions because they will be sent to a wrong place.

Why?

Documentary explains that reason for such behaviour is escape from exposing their ignorance. They would rather lie then showing they dont know something that should be known.

So - it could be that you are faced with unability to confess an empty stock.

:-)

Guest apple2005
I saw a documentary on tv where strangers in chinese town were adviced not to ask locals for directions because they will be sent to a wrong place.

Why?

Documentary explains that reason for such behaviour is escape from exposing their ignorance. They would rather lie then showing they dont know something that should be known.

So - it could be that you are faced with unability to confess an empty stock.

:-)

Strange, I never knew that they will tell lies rather than telling that they don't know...

Regarding my previous query about my m73, I didn't find on the website you suggested. May be they are having on the Chinese version??

Guest Rico_89

I think once they have a supply line, they list the item as in stock but wont place any orders until enough people make a purchase to justify a bulk buy on their end. A pain in the arse for us but cheaper, with less risk for them.

One question about the V5 not having Gorilla Glass. How fragile are phones with out toughened glass? Do they really break that much easier?

Guest apple2005
I think once they have a supply line, they list the item as in stock but wont place any orders until enough people make a purchase to justify a bulk buy on their end. A pain in the arse for us but cheaper, with less risk for them.

One question about the V5 not having Gorilla Glass. How fragile are phones with out toughened glass? Do they really break that much easier?

Mine is zopo 950 + which I am using just now is a very good phone. It is not breaking on normal use. But if you hit a stony floor with it, will definitely break. Which I will not do even if it is gorilla glass.

Guest Sere83

Yeah I get the impression that some of the smaller stores or individual sellers are more reliable shipping wise as they have less items to ship and less people to deal with, less listings/stock to maintain etc. I could be wrong though. I would have ordered from hotmid I think if they had sold the V5 as I got personally recommended them by the guy who got me my miOne, had an office in the same building, said they were reliable. You can also tell from their site they only really stock the high quality Chinese brands.

The good news is though that I got an email today saying Merimobiles had shipped my V5! Now the long wait...

If you could get a reliable supply line and efficient way to deal with returns, importing and selling MT6589 and similar phones could be a profitable business as it seems that there are a fair few companies making some good devices. The problem would be if they go wrong, after sales service and maintaining a reliable supply from China, far easier said than done.

In terms of glass, its a good question. I'm pretty careful with phones generally so wasn't a deal breaker for me, but when you think about home many smashed iphones you see you wonder how much difference the type of glass actually makes. If you drop any phone from a decent enough height it will probably shatter the glass.

By the way there is an MTK phone Root Guide here:

http://gizbeat.com/2...tk6577-mtk6575/

Also it seems merimobiles have a case for the V5, so hopefully they will start stocking the actual back shells too.

http://www.merimobil..._p/meri7538.htm

Will hopefully do a review of the v5 when mine arrives...

Edited by Sere83

Guest kaizoku_san

All the talk about mermimobiles not giving positive updates was worrying, but I've got an update on my order which I placed on Tuesday. My phone has now "shipped", and they have given me a tracking number. And now I guess I can relax a bit...and wait some more.

good luck to the rest of you on getting your phones :)

Guest tillaz

yeah, don't expect the tracking number to actually work with any free postage from china (ChinaPost / HKpost) lol it actually will just randomly turn up...

after around 2/3 weeks.

i have experienced this a few times now with item's from merrimobiles and eBay... apparently it can't be tracked until it enters your country.

think tracking has only worked once for me and that was using the eBay tracking HUB

http://globalshippin...inghub/ship.jsp

or you could try these

HK post

http://app3.hongkong.../mt/enquiry.jsp

CN post

http://www.trackingk...-post-tracking/

Guest kaizoku_san

yeah, don't expect to be able to track your parcel with any free postage from china (ChinaPost / HKpost) lol it actually will just randomly turn up...

i have experienced this a good few times... apparently it cant be tracked until it enters your country.

think tracking has only worked once for me and that was using the eBay tracking HUB

http://globalshippin...inghub/ship.jsp

or you could try these

HK post

http://app3.hongkong.../mt/enquiry.jsp

CN post

http://www.trackingk...-post-tracking/

Yep, I tried all the options in the eBay tracking hub and all of them came up with "no result" lol

Guess i'll wait for a "surprise" for myself soon :D

Guest Sere83

I got a tracking number, but mines using singapore post (thought it might be more reliable), doesn't show up yet....

Here's a pretty indepth chinese review of the V5, with screen comparison between Mi2 and iPhone 5. Iphone 5 and Mi2 kill it on viewing angles as you'd expect, very bright though, camera looks decent for the price

http://bbs.v5zn.com/...-14254-1-1.html

Edited by Sere83

Guest bryfly

yeah, don't expect the tracking number to actually work with any free postage from china (ChinaPost / HKpost) lol it actually will just randomly turn up...

after around 2/3 weeks.

Probably begs the question then would these companies in China be better not offering tracking, rather than have lots of customers getting frustrated because the tracking does not work.....

Guest tillaz

Probably begs the question then would these companies in China be better not offering tracking, rather than have lots of customers getting frustrated because the tracking does not work.....

they need to for for poof of postage and so there covered if post gets lost (insurance)

at least that's how it is when selling on eBay threw Paypal.

you should actually be to use the tracking after a week to see that it was posted... its status just wont change until its delivered lol

that's what all mine have been like apart from the odd few that worked all the way up to delivery.

Guest bryfly

you should actually be to use the tracking after a week to see that it was posted...

If only..........according to Merimobiles they posted phones on 21st and 23rd may, via Sweden pos, neither item has shown up at all on tracking....

Guest Rico_89

Also it seems merimobiles have a case for the V5, so hopefully they will start stocking the actual back shells too.

http://www.merimobil..._p/meri7538.htm

Will hopefully do a review of the v5 when mine arrives...

Yeah hopefully they'll start stocking a black back cover or maybe a silicone case like the MEIFENG one I use on my G300. I'm glad I didn't order a case with my V5 though because I really don't like those folding cases.

On a side note here's the video that Tillaz posted:http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNTUwNzQ1ODIw.html now 15 minutes in he starts testing the camera and checkout the quality of the Chinese text when he zooms in, pretty damn good. But the really interesting thing is that at 16:16 he holds the shutter button and takes 13 shots in rapid fire mode, while moving the camera left and right a little, and the images appear to be blur free.

Guest Sere83

Yeah hopefully they'll start stocking a black back cover or maybe a silicone case like the MEIFENG one I use on my G300. I'm glad I didn't order a case with my V5 though because I really don't like those folding cases.

On a side note here's the video that Tillaz posted:http://v.youku.com/v...UwNzQ1ODIw.html now 15 minutes in he starts testing the camera and checkout the quality of the Chinese text when he zooms in, pretty damn good. But the really interesting thing is that at 16:16 he holds the shutter button and takes 13 shots in rapid fire mode, while moving the camera left and right a little, and the images appear to be blur free.

Yeah I had a meifeng case for my Mi One, don't use it much anymore though as don't like the added bulk. Nice case though. In general though not a huge case fan really either, black back cover though would be nice.

Yeah it does look decent for sure, although I did get a pang of jealousy reading the Umi X2 review, those bezels are so damn thin...

http://www.gogi.in/umi-xii-review.html

Yeah it was a nice touch for Mediatek to include burst mode in the camera software, not even the Stock google 4.2 has this option but seems to be a feature of all MT6589 phones. Sign up to the official V5 forum and you can see screen comparisons and camera samples on this thread....

http://bbs.v5zn.com/...-14254-1-1.html

Heres a few from the link, screen and camera comparison between Mi2, iPhone 5 and V5.

183733cqt6lilplpf63f63.jpg

103106okgsktsktttmtttp.jpg

103113c59my5553g5mzz3u.jpg

103118s3s7y3uzk51el33u.jpg

103125hv6whlwif5wkcuyw.jpg

103138mqmmtztzltl88g19.jpg

091131dcerngfeq3v6gcll.jpg

092052y2190w1dwfad2cok.jpg

092327tgxfr1jjgcogomrv.jpg

Edited by Sere83

Guest dakok

A poll from:

http://www.gaojiquan.com/thread-5542-1-1.html[/CODE]

Poll, total of [b]3893 [/b]people vote:

1 Lenovo A820T 6.66% (259)

2 Lenovo S820 0.95% (37)

3 Lenovo S920 0.87% (34)

4 Lenovo P780 0.82% (32)

5 backgammon vivo X1S/vivo X1ST 0.49% (19)

6 Prince Amoi N828 Big V version 13.68% (532)

7 Amoi N880 0.15% (6)

8 Huawei G520 mobile version of 3.19% (124)

9 Fenghua 2/GN708W 8.13% (316)

10 Verne V5/V5T 2.34% (91)

11 ZTE V987 3.91% (152)

12. ZTE V967S 0.51% (20)

13. ZTE U956 0.98% (38)

14. ZTE U819 0.33% (13)

15 Cool 7295 3.34% (130)

16 Zhuopu black 15.27% (594)

17. Zhuopu white 0.13% (5)

18. Zhuopu ZP900H 0.15% (6)

19 good domain G4 7.05% (274)

20 Lenovo A830 0.28% (11)

21 Rio NOO3 1.67% (65)

22 Firefly III 0.21% (8)

23 Newman K1 0.87% (34)

24. Kivu G'FIVE G9 0.64% (25)

25. Graceful X1S 0.00% (0)

26.THL W7 0.00% (0)

27 Compass large K 0.36% (14)

28 large Coke 2nd generation 1.95% (76)

29 Ou Sheng X7 [For] 18.87% voting civilizations (734)

30. Big Easy W1 4.01% (156)

31. Good domain G5 0.87% (34)

32 Konka V976 Shaijie 3 0.18% (7)

33 beautiful songs G9200 0.13% (5)

34 Europe Lova N9589 0.98% (38)

As I got that - this was a poll for MIUI adaptation for MTK6589 phones

after a succesfull MIUI adaptation for Lenovo A820

P.S.

Good domain is Jiayu

Zhuopu is ZOPO

Zhuopu black is Zopo C2

So top 5 in this chinese poll are:

iOCEAN x7 - Ou Sheng X7 18.87% (734)

ZOPO C2 15.27% (594)

Amoi N828 13.68% (532)

Gionee GN708W 8.13% (316)

Jiayu G4 7.05% (274)

Edited by dakok

Guest Wacky.ddw

after around 2/3 weeks.

i have experienced this a few times now with item's from merrimobiles and eBay... apparently it can't be tracked until it enters your country.

My phone was shipped 27/05/13 when i changed my order from Jiayu G4 to Xiaomi Mi-2S i asked for fast shipping that i was prepaired to pay extra. But they mailed me back that i didnt have to pay extra that the phone should be delivered within 3 working days. Wich i found hard to believe... They gave me a tracking number and it seems that it has been sent with chinese post so i dont think it will arrive any time soon.

track_zps6d0f7c63.png

I dont even know what that means if it is still in China it could take weeks.

Edit: It left the airport saturday so i hope it will arive here this week :D

Edited by Wacky.ddw

Guest Sere83

Does the V5 have Gorilla Glass or not?

Some reviews suggest it does but others don't.

Almost certain it doesn't, no mention on their website. Overrated though in my opinion, the iphone 4s is supposed to use it but they shatter so easily its ridiculous. I was actually with a girl today who dropped hers and shattered it. The Jiayu g4 and UMi x2 do though. They're on the official list on wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia....h_Gorilla_Glass

Edited by Sere83

Guest arranhs

A poll from:

http://www.gaojiquan.com/thread-5542-1-1.html[/CODE]

Poll, total of [b]3893 [/b]people vote:

1 Lenovo A820T 6.66% (259)

2 Lenovo S820 0.95% (37)

3 Lenovo S920 0.87% (34)

4 Lenovo P780 0.82% (32)

5 backgammon vivo X1S/vivo X1ST 0.49% (19)

6 Prince Amoi N828 Big V version 13.68% (532)

7 Amoi N880 0.15% (6)

8 Huawei G520 mobile version of 3.19% (124)

9 Fenghua 2/GN708W 8.13% (316)

10 Verne V5/V5T 2.34% (91)

11 ZTE V987 3.91% (152)

12. ZTE V967S 0.51% (20)

13. ZTE U956 0.98% (38)

14. ZTE U819 0.33% (13)

15 Cool 7295 3.34% (130)

16 Zhuopu black 15.27% (594)

17. Zhuopu white 0.13% (5)

18. Zhuopu ZP900H 0.15% (6)

19 good domain G4 7.05% (274)

20 Lenovo A830 0.28% (11)

21 Rio NOO3 1.67% (65)

22 Firefly III 0.21% (8)

23 Newman K1 0.87% (34)

24. Kivu G'FIVE G9 0.64% (25)

25. Graceful X1S 0.00% (0)

26.THL W7 0.00% (0)

27 Compass large K 0.36% (14)

28 large Coke 2nd generation 1.95% (76)

29 Ou Sheng X7 [For] 18.87% voting civilizations (734)

30. Big Easy W1 4.01% (156)

31. Good domain G5 0.87% (34)

32 Konka V976 Shaijie 3 0.18% (7)

33 beautiful songs G9200 0.13% (5)

34 Europe Lova N9589 0.98% (38)

As I got that - this was a poll for MIUI adaptation for MTK6589 phones

after a succesfull MIUI adaptation for Lenovo A820

P.S.

Good domain is Jiayu

Zhuopu is ZOPO

Zhuopu black is Zopo C2

So top 5 in this chinese poll are:

iOCEAN x7 - Ou Sheng X7 18.87% (734)

ZOPO C2 15.27% (594)

Amoi N828 13.68% (532)

Gionee GN708W 8.13% (316)

Jiayu G4 7.05% (274)

Thanks for that dakok, that's very interesting. It's nice to see the Chinese opinion on all of the different phones :) Does it mean though that it's possible that miui might be ported to the g4 because if it does that would be awesome.

On a side note, if anyone speaks Chinese here, when I translate the v5 forums using Google translate the words "brush" seems to come up extremely often. Can anyone give me a heads up on what this means?

Guest Sere83

I'm sure brush means same as root

Yeah I think your right, definitely related to rom. I thought it meant 'Flash' eg. Brush tool means 'Flash tool' for flashing roms.

By the way guys....good news. Spoke to merimobiles today and the rep said that the Vowney V5 back covers will be in stock soon!

UMI X2 review on giz china as well if you missed it...

http://www.gizchina.com/2013/06/03/umi-x2-review/

Edited by Sere83

Guest shuete

Hello everyone

i'm new to the forum but since i'll need some support i decided to join :)

i bought the verne v5 from merimobiles they already shipped my order and i just realized that is traceable via singapore post, because its says - dispatched to overseas with my country code ;)

But when i asked for root service and google play merimobiles said that i needed an sd card otherwise google play wouldn't work :huh:

i already own a class 10/16GB so i didn't want to order another one, but now i'm starting to feel like i should have ordered with google play already working, what do you think, anybody else experienced the same issue?

Guest arranhs

I haven't ordered one myself so i havent had the problem, but i can confidently say that your fine, you can easily install google play store/google apps yourself.

All you need to do as far as i can see is to go onto the v5 forum, install the CWM posted there and then flash gapps. The problem i can see with this however is that the CWM version on the v5 forum will be in chinese

Therefore you can easily just download and install the play store apk. Simples

Also, guys is the G4 supposed to actually be in stock anywhere yet because i managed to stumble across here where it is in stock? Plus i think it seems like a good price (or am i wrong in saying that, i didnt do that much looking around tbh)

Edit: if you want to check guys, ive started adding prices to the spreadsheet that dakok made

Edited by arranhs