[OFFTOPIC] China Phone Discussion - UPDATED 30/10/2013

Guest kyan31

Guest metal.mickey

erm ok, i think im outta my depth now.

as i dont have cwm i dont know how to make a recovery image, so i went to the cwm builder with a dloaded Lewa rom as the builder can make a file from the boot.img for my phone. Since i have a boot.img file the builder compiled a recovery for that boot.img

ive no idea how to crack open the boot image, nevermind find the offending pngs.

MM

Guest tillaz

erm ok, i think im outta my depth now.

as i dont have cwm i dont know how to make a recovery image, so i went to the cwm builder with a dloaded Lewa rom as the builder can make a file from the boot.img for my phone. Since i have a boot.img file the builder compiled a recovery for that boot.img

ive no idea how to crack open the boot image, nevermind find the offending pngs.

MM

you used this? http://builder.clockworkmod.com/

Guest Robosama

I suggest the Nexus 4 especially with its new price.That is unless you specifically want a chinese phone

Lack of expandable memory is the dealbreaker on that one, although the 2GB RAM would be lovely. Coming from the Ascend G300's severe lack of RAM.

Guest apple2005

Also had a go ...... iocean x7 @ $44 and Ainol Crystal Quad Core tablet @ $18.14, lets see what happens?

I also order for iocean. Although visibly it looks as impossible but still I wanted to see and know how they scam. They cannot scam our money as we paid to aliexpress and they will not release the money to them unless we receive what we paid for. At the most they will send us something else and then?

And now for something completely different...

Something that i couldn`t get right:

It happened that I asked some chinese at their mobile forums about

various chinese phone models.

Their answers were showing that they never heard of some chinese phone brands that are

known at european mobile forums.

Besides that, you can find a huge bunch of phone models on major chinese

mobile portals (Zol, PConline, CNmo, Yesky...) with detailed descriptions, seller lists, ratings...

But at one portal there´s no word about UMI, another one never mentions Beidou or iOcean, etc.

Strange.

Yesterday I heard a story from a friend visiting China few years ago.

He was at tourist sightseeing, visiting Great Wall, Tiananmen and other sights.

He noticed something strange: huge groups of visitors with guides, cameras...

And only few western tourists. Everybody was looking like chinese folks usually look like.

He asked someone where are this visitors coming from and found out that

everybody really was cinese folks.

How come?

Chinese provinces (states) had closed borders for many years and they opened only recently.

Tiananmen was strange place for many. Now they are traveling all over the state

finding out where they actually live at.

That goes for the economy, too. They don`t know about many domestic brands yet.

Something like in Europe where an italian doesn`t have a clue about belgian

loudspeaker manufacturer or something like that.

Guest metal.mickey

the newman K1a from merimobiles is exquisite. huge screen dual sim quad core and $195. the marked it as a low value item with a fake invoice itemised at $80 unit price so no import tax from DHL

MM

Stumbled upon a store which looks very interesting.

Yeso521

Prices are moderate,

This and other details cannot be found at an average phone store

What do you think?

Edited by dakok

Guest metal.mickey

Ive gone thought the steps in post 2 and ive put in the start address and the length values in but my version says the ist column value as N/A where yours says PageSpare.

and i dont have the Read Method radio boxes.

Ive tried with and without the battery but nothing seems to happen

MM

Guest Maringer

the newman K1a from merimobiles is exquisite. huge screen dual sim quad core and $195. the marked it as a low value item with a fake invoice itemised at $80 unit price so no import tax from DHL

MM

Just a slight warning. I ordered a tablet from China last year and was pleased to receive it by DHL with a low value on the fake invoice (which said it was a digital photoframe) without any apparent duty charged.

However, a week or so later, I received a separate invoice from DHL charging me for the VAT/Import duty they had incurred! Good luck, but you might not get away with any further charges!

On the other hand, my F1 phone shipped via the HK Post service managed to avoid any extra charges.

Perhaps it's the luck of the draw?

I also order for iocean. Although visibly it looks as impossible but still I wanted to see and know how they scam. They cannot scam our money as we paid to aliexpress and they will not release the money to them unless we receive what we paid for. At the most they will send us something else and then?

I've not used aliexpress (or any Chinese site) before... how are people paying to get buyer protection? PayPal?

Also, I spotted that iocean deal, but can't work out which model it is... the 1 GB or 2 GB RAM model... the title and the description to not match. Is it better than the

JIAYU G3, though it is described as having the MTK6589 at 1.2GHz, but I thought they were all upgrade to the turbo? Or, do these ridiculous prices indicate a complete ripoff?!?

Guest tillaz

On the other hand, my F1 phone shipped via the HK Post service managed to avoid any extra charges.

were you able to track that with HK post? if so what was the site you used? im not having much luck tracking my item with them

Guest apple2005

I've not used aliexpress (or any Chinese site) before... how are people paying to get buyer protection? PayPal?

Also, I spotted that iocean deal, but can't work out which model it is... the 1 GB or 2 GB RAM model... the title and the description to not match. Is it better than the

JIAYU G3, though it is described as having the MTK6589 at 1.2GHz, but I thought they were all upgrade to the turbo? Or, do these ridiculous prices indicate a complete ripoff?!?

I also used aliexpress for the first time. That was my aim also to use it first for small amount of money. Actually you pay by credit card to aliexpress by secure http connection. Aliexpress hold your money till you receive the item and give a green signal to release the money to the seller. So it is quite secure.

I ordered for iocean which they have mentioned as 2/32 GB but prices are very ridiculously low. Unbelievable.

Let's see what we receive in our parcels.

Guest apple2005
Anyone know of a good dual sim wcdma 5inch+ phone? I can't get my i2000 to use gsm on the second sim slot. So I'm after another one.

You have many choices. Right now I am using zopo zp950 plus which is 5.7 inches and is having excellent performance. I am having it for more than 4 months without any issues. There are other companies also making more than 5 inches phones. Like Goophone, Star and orient etc. Google it and whatever you like, buy it.