[OFFTOPIC] China Phone Discussion - UPDATED 30/10/2013

Guest kyan31

Guest Frankish

Something funny is going on. I just flashed using Uncletools the CWM on Pandawill. It rebooted into CWM OK, but then when I restarted, reloaded into Android, powered off and held down key I'm back into the scary chinese factory mode menu. It seems like CWM is getting overwritten, or maybe the partition is write protected somehow.....hmmm

Down key? Try up?!

Guest Frankish

:wub: :angry2: :D

Sorted then? :P

Got to admit the first time i tried with down and got loads of chinese on my Xiaocai so straight away i tried UP. ;)

@Tillaz I'm guessing you had trouble fixing that dialer issue with your aosp x9 rom?

Edited by Frankish

I have the MX58 Air and the 'Chinese' recovery is on it, am happy enough with the phone the way it is but am just wondering can I back up my rom and change the recovery to an English version (for future use in case things go wrong).

Not many custom roms for the MX58 Air around but am not too bothered as the phone is fine as it is, but would like to be able to change the recovery program to an English version.

Guest RicardoABCosta

Hey, what's up people?

Just got myself a ZOPO ZP980 32Gb 2Gb ram MTK6589T version from antelife.

Coming from the g300, Im blowned away by this phone.

The build is pretty good, the FHD screen is just astonishing. Those thin bezels, the viewing angles, the brightness, color and detail!

The performance on this 4.2.1 JB stock rom is pretty nice. Quick, snappy and butter smooth. OTA updates by ZOPO.

32 gigas of internal memory + up to 64gb of sdcard... not much to say. Almost a eternal storage for me. lol

GPS works well. No complains on this subject.

Already got it rooted and custom recovery is ON (tryed CWM but, at this moment, I prefer the touch TWRP recovery). Only tryed out one custom rom but reverted to stock as the custom rom was not as good as the latest stock version.

Overall I'm very glad with this phone. Just wished that mediatek released a full mtk6589/T kernel source so the community and developers (wich is growing quite fast) could build some nice roms or even cyanogenmod... but everyone knows is gonna be almost impossible... lets wait and see.

If you have any questions, just shoot.

Guest invertedgoatie

Seems like there's some very rough edges software-wise on my THL W200. On Skype, turning on loud speaker causes some crazy interference. And the GPS seems to be terrible. There was a fix on this thread a few pages back using build.prop editor but the instructions were very poor :(

Oh yes and only one of the LED's work. Looks like there are meant to be 3.

I really hope MTK release the kernel so some ROM development can happen!! I get the feeling that WHL aren't going to be releasing any OTA updates....

Edited by invertedgoatie

And the GPS seems to be terrible. There was a fix on this thread a few pages

back using build.prop editor but the instructions were very poor :(

Yeah, as poor as it can be.

Is pasting that part enough or you want me to make a HD video tutorial.

Here it is, once more:

Phone has to be rooted.

Install Build Prop Editor from Google Play.

Browse to: /system/build.prop and open it

Add the following line just below this: dalvik.vm.stack-trace-file=/data/anr/traces.txt

dalvik.vm.execution-mode=int:fast

Save the file, exit Build Prop Editor and reboot the phone

The downside is that you wont be able to run or walk at speed of 200km/h now...

Edited by dakok

Guest invertedgoatie

Phone has to be rooted.

Install Build Prop Editor from Google Play.

Browse to: /system/build.prop and open it

Add the following line just below this: dalvik.vm.stack-trace-file=/data/anr/traces.txt

dalvik.vm.execution-mode=int:fast

Poor, as in non-applicable to the W200?

I've installed prop editor but there is no /system/build.prop. Nevermind.

Edited by invertedgoatie

At the end of that post there is a notice that you can use root explorer.

Install X-plore from Play Store, navigate to system/build.prop, long press on it

and edit the file as described above.

At the end of that post there is a notice that you can use root explorer.

Install X-plore from Play Store, navigate to system/build.prop, long press on it

and edit the file as described above.

Hi can you answer what I asked in the Miui thread please  :)

As the only difference I can find between the Red Rice and the V5 is that the  RR is 1.5gz the V5 is 1.23ghz but the V5 is 3G and the red rice is only 2G

So why is the red rice better? 

Guest invertedgoatie

Sh**, I've just discovered that my W200 has DEAD pixels....BUGGER. I can count three with the screen displaying black. One is just off the centre. They are white and blue a. Do you reckon I should send mine back, or am I being too fussy?

Edited by invertedgoatie

Guest Frankish
Sh**, I've just discovered that my W200 has DEAD pixels....BUGGER. I can count three with the screen displaying black. One is just off the centre. They are white and blue a. Do you reckon I should send mine back, or am I being too fussy?
Are they really bad/really noticeable? It will be a hell of a lot of hassle to send it back. I've never had a phone with dead pixels but I bet my W200 turns up with a few now too :(

invertedgoatie, on 16 Sept 2013 - 10:27 PM, said:

I just nailed a THL W200 on Flea land for £127.

Good deal I think as the item is in the UK already so no faffing with shipping, risk of getting nailed by import tax....

Guest invertedgoatie

Indeed, but I don't think I'm that bothered to make a big fuss on eBay. I could open a dispute with the seller and go back through that malarky but over a 2-3 dead pixels it seems hardly worth the hassle. I might have just fixed one of the pixels now anyway.

Guest invertedgoatie

Hate to be the one who bears all this bad news, but it seems there is an issue this time with the microphone. No idea if it's hardware or software related or if it only is effecting my device.

I'm getting some sort of noise or interference which was first picked up by a friend on skype but I wasn't aware of it at the time. Just did some movie recording and on playback I'm really noticing it. It sounds like I'm standing next to a motorway, literally. It also alternates to sounding like I've got a hair blow dryer on right beside me.

I'll check on the android dev forum and see if anyone else is getting this. Otherwise it's going back to the eBay seller which I'm really reluctant to do as it's a lovely phone otherwise :(

Edited by invertedgoatie