[OFFTOPIC] China Phone Discussion - UPDATED 30/10/2013

Guest kyan31

Guest dalyer

did someone on here just get the Haier w910 ? if so any chance of posting some benchmarks ?

Yeah - I got mine today but the ICS that came preinstalled has no Gapps/Play Store, too much Chinese stuff for me to use it and I wasn't able to quickly install, say, an Antutu APK. I'll have to install another ROM - probably one of the JB ROMs available - in order to use it. And I probably won't get around to this until the weekend at the earliest. Sorry.... :-( 

In case nobody else gets there before me what is a good set of benchmarks/apps to use for illustrative purposes?

Edited by dalyer

Guest dalyer

It's just a regular lightweighted "stock" multilanguage JB ROM ripped from gASK's (OP) phone as a CWM backup. I think the ROM itself comes preinstalled from some Chineese e-shops.

Thanks ovecka. I presume that I have to do the following:

(1) Root

(2) Install CWM

(3) Install custom (JB) ROM

There are a few non English sites with info about some or all of these but it's difficult to get clear instructions and I'm a bit nervous of doing something wrong... :-| Anybody got any recommendations on the best/simplest/clearest instructions to follow?

The preinstalled ICS that I got seems awful - we'll from the perspective of an English speaker and somebody expecting standard Android/Google stuff to be present. The sooner I get another ROM onto it the better...

Guest neroxezx

It's one hell of a phone for its price. Awesome screen, perfect build quality, a tad low battery but still, it can handle 3 days as I am neiter gamer nor facebook user. Everything is perfectly smooth and I haven't noticed any bugs yet. Apart from that, the GPS is the best I have ever seen outside of dedicated systems. It can fix the signal inside a building with 2 floors above me. Outside, the fix takes about 15 seconds with a 3 m accuracy which is great for both geocaching and navigation. I am a 100% satisfied user (I flashed a JB ROM right after receiving it so I have no experience with the preinstalled ICS).

Regarding the Haier W910, could you please tell me the following:

1. Does it have a Notification LED? Does it work using Light&Flow https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rageconsulting.android.lightflow&hl=en

2. It is really waterproof? I'm not asking you to test it, but based on eyes, does it look waterproof?

I'm asking this because these days you don't know what you gonna get from China. Maybe at the end I'll ask you if you receive a  phone or a goat. :)

3. Does it have a support for a micro sd card?

Edited by neroxezx

Guest ovecka

Thanks ovecka. I presume that I have to do the following:

(1) Root

(2) Install CWM

(3) Install custom (JB) ROM

There are a few non English sites with info about some or all of these but it's difficult to get clear instructions and I'm a bit nervous of doing something wrong... :-| Anybody got any recommendations on the best/simplest/clearest instructions to follow?

The preinstalled ICS that I got seems awful - we'll from the perspective of an English speaker and somebody expecting standard Android/Google stuff to be present. The sooner I get another ROM onto it the better...

Exactly. There is an English guide in one of my posts that can be easily followed (a PDF with polish and english language guide). Root is as easy as it can be using one-click eRoot (mentioned in the guide). The rest is a classic CWM work.

EDIT: oops. I posted the guide link in some weird way. The address shown was correct but the link itself wasn't. I's now been corrected. Sorry 'bout that. :)

Edited by ovecka

Guest dalyer

OK - thanks ovecka. Apologies for not seeing the guide in question. I'll review this thread and the instructions over the weekend and hopefully I can get onto JB from the awful default ICS ROM...

Guest ovecka

Regarding the Haier W910, could you please tell me the following:

1. Does it have a Notification LED? Does it work using Light&Flow https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rageconsulting.android.lightflow&hl=en

2. It is really waterproof? I'm not asking you to test it, but based on eyes, does it look waterproof?

I'm asking this because these days you don't know what you gonna get from China. Maybe at the end I'll ask you if you receive a  phone or a goat. :)

3. Does it have a support for a micro sd card?

1. Yes, it does. I don't know about about L&F support but I can't see why it should't work.

2. I applied a screen protector using the wet method (lots of tries and water :)) while keeping the phone running and the phone works flawlessly. I'd say it is waterproof. Of course, I won't try to throw it in water but I think it could handle a few second in it (it's certified as IP54).

3. Yes, it does.

Guest neroxezx

1. Yes, it does. I don't know about about L&F support but I can't see why it should't work.

2. I applied a screen protector using the wet method (lots of tries and water :)) while keeping the phone running and the phone works flawlessly. I'd say it is waterproof. Of course, I won't try to throw it in water but I think it could handle a few second in it (it's certified as IP54).

3. Yes, it does.

1. Could you spend 2 minutes to see if it's working please???? :D Just install the program ( Light Flow lite ) and after that enter into the program, select tools and select "All enabled LED's Test" (if nothing doesn't happen, close the screen)

2. The last question: does it have a FM radio?

I promise: those are the last questions. :)

My Haier W910 arrived today - but in work and I'm at home! :-|

Ordered from DealsPrime on 6th Sept, shipped on 19th and arrived today.

Don't think I got hit for taxes - unless my boss paid them for me! :-D

Looking forward to playing with it and passing my G300 (with superslim-v1 GB) on to my gf.

ovecka - can you link to the root/CWM/JB ROM and instructions that you used please - thanks. Or were they linked earlier in this thread?

Common man, hit me with your thoughts about the phone. :D

Edited by neroxezx

Guest dalyer

1. Could you spend 2 minutes to see if it's working please???? :D Just install the program ( Light Flow lite ) and after that enter into the program, select tools and select "All enabled LED's Test" (if nothing doesn't happen, close the screen)

2. The last question: does it have a FM radio?

I promise: those are the last questions. :)

Common man, hit me with your thoughts about the phone. :D

I can't do anything with the crappy Chinese ICS that is preinstalled. 

I have to get it onto JB before I play with it.

I'll see if I can try LightFlow on it later if I can find an APK (not Play Store preinstalled).

It has FM radio.

Edit: I found a LightFlow APK that I was able to install and there is a notification LED and it looks like LF can control it. I could only see red, blue and green so I'm not sure that these are the only colours that it can generate.

Edited by dalyer

Guest neroxezx

Ok, 10x a lott. But, I'm waiting your opinions about the phone. :D

Probably you need to put a new ROM (fully in English) and after that you should share your experience. :)

2 weeks today since i ordered my W200. Shame it clashes with this Chinese holiday!

Am hoping to have a THL W200 early next week, was getting it for someone else, but am thinking maybe I will hold onto it and pass on my MX58 Air (after all I have had it nearly 2 mths now!!)

Guest dalyer

Exactly. There is an English guide in one of my posts that can be easily followed (a PDF with polish and english language guide). Root is as easy as it can be using one-click eRoot (mentioned in the guide). The rest is a classic CWM work.

EDIT: oops. I posted the guide link in some weird way. The address shown was correct but the link itself wasn't. I's now been corrected. Sorry 'bout that. :)

Thanks a lot. Rooted and got CWM installed but I'm too tired to go the full hog and install the JB 4.1.2 ROM just now so maybe tomorrow.

I was worried about talk elsewhere of there only being a Chinese language CWM available but the one that you linked to is thankfully the English 6.0.1.5.

Did you or somebody else mention additional mods that can be flashed - in particular a battery optimization one? Any links?

Thanks again! :-)

Guest dalyer

whats the battery like on w910?

I presume you mean battery lifetime which, as I said, I'll try to measure when I have JB installed (although your mileage may vary depending on use patterns, apps installed, configuration etc.)... but in case you were asking more generally about the battery bear in mind that it's a 1760mAh which could be a bit skimpy for the phone spec and it's also fixed/not (easily) replaceable because the phone case body is sealed up for IP54 dust/moisture resistance.

@sedj

Vowney is just as strong as any other MTK6589 phone - few points up or down.

w910 has adreno 225 - that makes the real difference...

Edited by dakok

Guest Ironandroid

@datok

There is a clone phone to the vowney v5 that is called the m5. Would it possible to find the original rom of this phone to compare with the viwney one? Thx in advance

Guest Maringer

@sedj

Vowney is just as strong as any other MTK6589 phone - few points up or down.

w910 has adreno 225 - that makes the real difference...

Not to mention that in any single-threaded app, a 1.5GHz Krait in the W910 is going to greatly outperform any MTK6589 using the much slower Cortex-A7.

Just a pity about the small battery in the W910, really.

Not to mention that in any single-threaded app, a 1.5GHz Krait in the W910 is going to greatly outperform any MTK6589 using the much slower Cortex-A7.

Just a pity about the small battery in the W910, really.

I love the dual sim MT6589 phones especially in the UK and Ovivo. I was thinking of getting a White version of the Red Rice

but the 8 core phones will be out soon so I think I will hold off for now.

I love the dual sim MT6589 phones especially in the UK and Ovivo. I was thinking of getting a White version of the Red Rice

but the 8 core phones will be out soon so I think I will hold off for now.

Always tricky knowing when to jump in, especially on a tight budget. I am hoping that the Red Rice WCDMA will be the no-brainer value for money phone I'm looking for.  I'm thinking that octa-core will be outside my budget & tbh I don't need top end performance anyway. Coming from G300 quad core & better bigger screen will keep me happy for quite a while. 

Guest ace j. ventura

The red rice is a nice phone but the chinese sellers are asking double the price at the moment.

I would wait till they come down in price.

What's localprice?

What's localprice?

$105-but at merimobile it was £120 now it's £168 not worth it as it's just a V5 with a 1.5 cpu. Oh and only the white version is UK 3G.

Just hold out a bit long for the good deals to come back.

Edited by deuse