Jr5 (JDQ39 / 4.2.2): MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Nexus 10

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

jr1n10s1.jpgjr1n10s2.jpg

jr1n10s3.jpg

IMPORTANT NOTE:

Development of this ROM is currently suspended as I no longer have a Nexus 10. I am considering picking up a 16GB model so I can continue updating. Watch this space!

I'm pleased to present my MoDaCo Custom Jelly Bean ROM for the Nexus 10! READ THIS WHOLE POST BEFORE YOU START! No, really, it contains everything you need to know. ;)

About MoDaCo Custom ROMs

MoDaCo Custom ROMs are based on official ROMs. A MCR release is designed to feel like a stock ROM with optimisations, tweaks and complimentary additions that enhance the user experience. The aim of a MCR is to be ultra reliable for use on an everyday device.

Requirements

In order to use this ROM you must have a custom recovery installed. The ROM is installed at your own risk. A wipe IS recommended if coming from a ROM other than MCR or stock. BACK UP YOUR DEVICE BEFORE INSTALLATION!

MCR Nexus ROM features Include... (many optional via the Online Kitchen) - check kitchen defaults for what is in the prebake:

• Based on the 4.2.2 / JDQ39 release, updated, rebuilt, compressed and optimised with the MCR build system.
      For this MCR we've used the latest available shipping ROM, updated with all the latest versions of the installed apps, which we've run through our scripts to ensure that it is as optimised as possible both for install / download size and real life performance.

• De-odexed... re-odexable.
        Our ROMs are de-odedex, giving you the ability to flash other mods over the top, tweak the system and generally get the system set up as you want it without worrying about odex issues. We also include the 'OdexMe' application, which lets you odex your system when you're ready, saving valuable space on your data partition.

• Pre-rooted
          All MCR ROMs are pre-rooted with SuperSU preinstalled. In addition, the kitchen allows you to choose between secure, insecure and secure with patched ADB boot images.

• Enhanced Quick Settings
            The quick settings in Android 4.2 are cool, but limited. MCR builds include a customised version of the excellent 'Quick Settings' mod by kevdlui, allowing you to customise your toggles by holding the Settings button down. The WiFi and Bluetooth buttons are also changed to toggles - long press to access the settings menus.

• Enhanced Power Menu
              The enhanced power menu (the one that appears when you hold down the power button) has additional options to allow you to reboot and reboot to recovery.

• Apps aren't disabled on boot
                Jelly Bean added a feature to disable apps on boot that aren't intended for your region (Wallet, Ears, Magazines etc.). I think we're smart enough to make that decision ourselves right? So that doesn't happen in a MCR.

• Legacy Play Store
                  Isn't it frustrating how Google removed the ability in the Play Store to see which apps you'd bought in a nice simple list? I thought so... so I created 'Legacy Play Store', which has this feature.

• Legacy browser and Flash
                    Google might be ditching the stock browser for Chrome and Adobe might have canned Flash, but we still need to use it sometimes... so it's included in a MCR.

• Patched Google Wallet
                      We've patched Google Wallet to remove all region and root checks, so you can have a play!

• Facebook sync support
                        Google removed all support for syncing contact information via the Facebook app, we put it back. It's basic support (an app like HaxSync is more fully featured) but hey, it works!

• init.d support on boot
                          The init.d directory is processed on boot, allowing our (and your) startup script to be processed before the system starts up.

• Alternative appstores (Amazon and SlideMe Market)
                            The Amazon and SlideMe stores can be preinstalled, if that's where you like to purchased your wares.

• 'TweakDeck' - Tweetdeck, fixed
                              Tweetdeck was great. Twitter ruined it. It's fairly comprehensively broken on Android, but we've fixed it with TweakDeck.

• Titanium Backup preinstalled
                              • Once you've flashed your ROM, if you've wiped you want to get your stuff back on as quickly as possible - the option to preinstall Titanium Backup is here to help!

[*]MoDaCo Boot Logo

Wear your MCR with pride with the MoDaCo boot logo. It can be disabled in the kitchen of course if you prefer the more subtle look.

[*]And there's more!

We haven't listed everything here because a) there's too much and B) there's things we've forgotten. :)

MCR Nexus 10 ROM specific features Include... (many optional via the Online Kitchen) - check kitchen defaults for what is in the prebake:

[*]Trackball Alert Pro compatibility for custom notification LED colours

Trackball Alert by lilHermit lets you choose custom notification LED colours for ANY app, with no impact on battery life. We work closely with lilHermit to ensure TBA is supported in MCR.

[*]Alternative UI options (clickable when hidden menu keys with alternate locations, search button)

A number of different UI options are included - the default option makes the legacy menu button available on both sides of the screen for easy reach and also keeps them active when invisible, handy if there's a pesky menu button at the top right that you can't quite get too! You can also bring back the good old search button. In stock Android the navigation bar always stays at the bottom - in the kitchen you can choose to have this move to the right. Finally, percentage battery meters are also included in stock style and round style.

[*]NFC on screen off

If you use NFC tags to set profiles or similar, then the option to enable NFC on screen off might appeal to you. Be aware that we haven't benchmarked the impact this may have on battery life as yet though!

[*]Stock Launcher with rotate support, Nova and Apex Launchers as options

The stock launcher, with support for Landscape. So simple! If you're an Apex or Nova fan however, you can choose these to be baked right in to your ROM.

[*]LatinIME (stock input method) with enhanced layout

For some STRANGE reason Google thinks that if you're on a tablet, you don't want to press - hold keys to get numbers and punctuation. This is silly, we put that functionality back.

[*]Disable camera shutter sound

You can disable the camera shutter sound - use responsibly!

Changelog

Please see 2 posts below this one for the changelog.

Installation

To install this ROM:

[*]Download the zip file of your choice from the links below (or the online kitchen) and copy to your sdcard.

[*]Restart your device in recovery mode

[*]PERFORM A BACKUP FROM THE MENU

[*]Select the option to apply an update zip, and select the zip file you copied to the internal sd card! Remember that due to the 4.2 user changes, you may need to change to the '0' directory in recovery to find the zip!

If you have problems with Market licencing, check your device date!

First boot may take a while - be patient while it carries out it's pre-dexopt. It's worth it! :D

Downloads

Please do not mirror these packs elsewhere, I am counting downloads to determine which prebakes are most popular and should be offered in the future.

Prebake downloads

[*]Jr5 release - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: 80349990bab887dca0f4598d10ec9fb0

Kitchen download

[*]an online kitchen is also available below for subscribers to bake a Custom Custom ROM. :D

As well as via the MoDaCo store (PayPal, Google Checkout, Credit / Debit card), MoDaCo subscriptions are now available FREE via Trialpay!

A free prebake is ALWAYS available, a MoDaCo subscription gives you access to the kitchen and supports all MoDaCo developments.

Support

If you have a general question, please post in the topic.

Thanks

It's impossible to mention everyone who contributes to the Android community by name, but to everyone out there who does great work and shares it with us all - you have my gratitude and respect.

Future Updates - READ THIS!

By providing this ROM I am not guaranteeing that future updates will follow. Due to limits on my time and the fact that I have a large number of devices for short periods of time, it isn't possible for me to continue providing ROM updates indefinitely. Please do not donate / sign up on the assumption that future releases will be available (I don't want you to be disappointed!).

And finally...

If you would like to show your appreciation for the ROM, please consider supporting MoDaCo by signing up for a MoDaCo subscription!

Enjoy! :D

P

Guest PaulOBrien

There may be a short wait while the load balancing software determines the best kitchen to serve your ROM. The kitchen should appear below within 20 seconds.

Guest PaulOBrien

b]Changelog

22nd Mar

• Updates to bundled apps where appropriate
  • Minor changes - preperation for use of Xposed framework for modifications in next release
    1st Mar
    • All latest app updates merged in
    • Minor fixes
      22nd Feb
      • Completely rebased on JDQ39 (4.2.2) with all MCR features and updates merged in.
        31st Jan
        • Updated Flash, Music, Plus and Superuser apps.
          30th Jan Jr3
          • Updated all components to the latest release
          • Added additional CyanogenMod options to the kitchen
          • Minor fixes and improvements
          • 18th Jan

[*]Updated all 3rd party components

[*]Added MoDaCo Forums app

28th December Jr2

[*]All installed apps updated to latest versions.

[*]Gradient fix - if you spot any bad gradients please post in topic.

[*]Numerous small improvements and bug fixes.

12th December

• Initial upload

Guest PaulOBrien

New UI option added to the kitchen...

Menu button on right hand side (stock style) - navigation bar always at bottom (stock style) - wide button layout

...i'm using this now, and it looks as below! :)

P

widebuttonsn10.jpg

Guest y2whisper

I was wondering about getting native USB OTG support there is a user at xda that put it into his rom and its a fantastic help. Glad to be on another device that I can use your work with.

Guest PaulOBrien
I was wondering about getting native USB OTG support there is a user at xda that put it into his rom and its a fantastic help. Glad to be on another device that I can use your work with.

I'll see what I can do!

P

Changelog

12th December

• Initial upload

I'll see what I can do!

P

Menu button in the the new UI mod needs tweaking a little, will update tomorrow!

P

In one word: superb! Many thanks, Paul!

I'm also interested in native USB OTG support.

I agree, the menu button in the new UI mod needs some tweaking (btw, nice option) ;)

Guest PaulOBrien

Apologies, i've been busy working on some site issues today - the next update is still in progress!

Primary changes are updates and fixes... any requests, get them in now! :)

P

Guest redmongoose

Apologies, i've been busy working on some site issues today - the next update is still in progress!

Primary changes are updates and fixes... any requests, get them in now! :)

P

How about an option in the kitchen for chrome to to default all pages to "desktop" because mobile versions of webpage look really awful - surprised chrome for the N10 doesn't come like this by default...

I really appreciate you efforts to create a custom rom for the N10.....but it is a little quite in here ;-)

Guest PaulOBrien

There have been a lot of app updates lately you may have noticed - these have now all been integrated into the kitchen, there will be some more improvements before I build the next release. :)

P

Guest PaulOBrien

I have just fixed a GPS bug in the kitchen, fix on your device with:

adb remount

adb shell chgrp 2000 /system/vendor/bin/gpsd

adb shell chmod 755 /system/vendor/bin/gpsd

:)

P

Guest PaulOBrien

I've just finished investigating the various 'gradient fix' requirements with a view to incorporating them in the next release. Some no longer apply on 4.2 but some, as you can see below, still do. :)

I've made an updated version and assuming it tests OK, i'll incorporate it for the next release! :)

P

gradientfixcomp.png

Guest blacknd

I keep getting "Unfortunately, the process android.process.acore has stopped." I have tried baking several roms and keep getting this on boot up. I cant even get past the initial set up....

I've done multiple wipes before flashing also. The prebaked rom i had no problems with.

Edit: I removed the facebook sync, baked a rom and everything seems fine..

Edited by blacknd

Guest PaulOBrien
I keep getting "Unfortunately, the process android.process.acore has stopped." I have tried baking several roms and keep getting this on boot up. I cant even get past the initial set up....

I've done multiple wipes before flashing also. The prebaked rom i had no problems with.

Edit: I removed the facebook sync, baked a rom and everything seems fine..

Noted, I'll fix this for the next release!

P

Guest PaulOBrien

Jr2 is now available in the kitchen! As usual, after a short period of testing both by myself and kitchen users it'll be available as prebake! :)

This is mostly an app update / fix + tweak release. The 'gradient fix' is now also included in all bakes, if you spot any remaining bad gradients please report to the elite 'G-Squad' by posting in this topic and it'll get fixed. :P

Hope everyone had a good Christmas and Happy New Year - thanks for your support in 2012... looking forward to 2013! :)

P

Changelog

28th December Jr2

• All installed apps updated to latest versions.
  • Gradient fix - if you spot any bad gradients please post in topic.
  • Numerous small improvements and bug fixes.

Jr2 is now available in the kitchen! As usual, after a short period of testing both by myself and kitchen users it'll be available as prebake! :)

This is mostly an app update / fix + tweak release. The 'gradient fix' is now also included in all bakes, if you spot any remaining bad gradients please report to the elite 'G-Squad' by posting in this topic and it'll get fixed. :P

Hope everyone had a good Christmas and Happy New Year - thanks for your support in 2012... looking forward to 2013! :)

P

Changelog

28th December Jr2

• All installed apps updated to latest versions.
  • Gradient fix - if you spot any bad gradients please post in topic.
  • Numerous small improvements and bug fixes.

Very nice and smooth rom, Paul! I really like the new "wide button layout" UI option. Can't live without it on an everyday basis :D

Any reason why Adobe Flash Player 11.1.115.12 is still integrated while Adobe Flash Player 11.1.115.34 is available for some time (backward compatibility) ?

Maybe something to be included in the next update ? Thx!

Any chance native USB OTG support is going to make it in the next release ?

StickMount v2.20 doesn't work over here with a 2 TB external NTFS drive although N10 is supported by developer (N7 works flawlessly with the same drive).

Nexus Media Importer v4.03 on the other hand works like a sharm on the N10 with the same drive.

Edit: StickMount v2.20 works fine after copying file ntfs-3g to /sdcard (once) as indicated in post http://forum.xda-dev...0&postcount=632

Happy New Year to everyone!

Edited by syddp

Guest PaulOBrien

Prebake is now online! :)

I'm offline this week, but i'll read all posts on my return and prepare the next update. Thanks for your support and Happy New Year! :)

P

Guest Jeremy Baugus

Invisible menu keys (landscape-style) aren't working on launcher, the keypress effect plays but no menu appears. Tried with Stock Launcher, Apex Launcher, and Nova Launcher.

Hello

I just install that rom Jr2 : is perfect.

Someone can tell me what is : " WIFI AP OFF "

Access point ? how can working ? coz no 3G inside ..?

Someone can explain to me that ?

thanks already .