[q] what battery life are you getting?

Guest xgt001

Guest BlueMoonRising

Try BetterBatteryStats to track down the culprit (preferably rooted). Social Gallery (on Xolo at least) is a real battery hog for some reason. Once rooted it's usually the first app to get deleted and replaced, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.moblynx.galleryics&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5tb2JseW54LmdhbGxlcnlpY3MiXQ.. is a good replacement.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.android.smartscreenoff&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsIml0LmFuZHJvaWQuc21hcnRzY3JlZW5vZmYiXQ.. or https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.android.smartscreenoffpro&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEwMiwiaXQuYW5kcm9pZC5zbWFydHNjcmVlbm9mZnBybyJd are culprits too which is unfortunate as otherwise it works great. It never lets the phone go into deep sleep.

Guest Pondlife

Yeah I noticed that once social gallery starts it doesn't want to stop.

Not really been using mine last few days, so details might not be so useful.

79% battery left after 2d4h.

Of the 21% that's used.

62% of it used by social gallery

31% by phone idle

8% mobile standby

Wifi off and 2g only too though.

Guest Simon O

BetterBatteryStats doesn't work for me. It doesn't show any stats at all which is rather odd. Anyway all you really need to install is CPU Spy Plus from the Play Store.

Use CPU Spy Plus to ensure your phone is going into 'deep sleep' and for how long. If you aren't using the phone then it should be going into deep sleep after a period of time. This is a very low power mode which will give you the best battery savings.

The standard battery page in Settings will give you more than enough information to see what is using up battery. You should find that screen is the biggest battery user for obvious reasons (it's big and bright and it's not amoled so it uses more power)

And yes, Social Gallery is a massive battery hog. Delete it using Root Explorer or delete it over adb if you know what you are doing.

Finally if you want accurate battery stats then stop rebooting the phone and switching off at night if you have battery issues. Leave the phone on so you can pin-point the cause.

These are the sort of battery life you should be able to achieve with normal usage:

(too lazy to resize the images. sorry)

aBkPS.png

rB1bO.png

G3k11.png

nQAw8.png

ydP8u.png

I get a bad 3G signal here which is why there is no data showing when I took the screen shots. I turn wifi off when I don't need it.

BetterBatteryStats doesn't work for me. It doesn't show any stats at all which is rather odd. Anyway all you really need to install is CPU Spy Plus from the Play Store.

Use CPU Spy Plus to ensure your phone is going into 'deep sleep' and for how long. If you aren't using the phone then it should be going into deep sleep after a period of time. This is a very low power mode which will give you the best battery savings.

The standard battery page in Settings will give you more than enough information to see what is using up battery. You should find that screen is the biggest battery user for obvious reasons (it's big and bright and it's not amoled so it uses more power)

And yes, Social Gallery is a massive battery hog. Delete it using Root Explorer or delete it over adb if you know what you are doing.

Finally if you want accurate battery stats then stop rebooting the phone and switching off at night if you have battery issues. Leave the phone on so you can pin-point the cause.

These are the sort of battery life you should be able to achieve with normal usage:

aBkPS.png

rB1bO.png

G3k11.png

nQAw8.png

ydP8u.png

I get a bad 3G signal here which is why there is no data showing when I took the screen shots. I turn wifi off when I don't need it.

Hi

I have removed the social gallery already. So that's not the issue. Also I am getting pretty decent deep sleep around 50 60% easily but to properly go to deep sleep I need to turn off all the location services which is weird... Any idea why?

Also mobilecare is apparently a battery sucker. Is it safe to remove it without losing warranty?

Guest utternoob

Anyone else noticed that the OSD gets very hot? I think it's because the processor is constantly at 1.6ghz. Is there any non-root way to cool and slow it down?

Guest BlueMoonRising

Anyone else noticed that the OSD gets very hot? I think it's because the processor is constantly at 1.6ghz. Is there any non-root way to cool and slow it down?

The processor IS NOT constantly at 1.6Ghz, in fact it's rarely there on mine.

Did you change the minimum processor speed in settings by any chance? If you did then as I said it's sets the MINIMUM CPU speed not the maximum which would explain it if you are always at 1.6Gzh.

Guest utternoob

Thanks. I'll take a look

Edit: It said 600mhz. I also unticked the hyperthreading box, and changed governor to powersave

Edited by utternoob

Thanks. I'll take a look

Edit: It said 600mhz. I also unticked the hyperthreading box, and changed governor to powersave

Careful, you now have a single core 600mhz phone... There's power saving, and there's suffering for no good reason!

Leave the minimum speed at 600mhz, but turn back on hyper-threading and change to the ondemand governor. Don't use the performance governor, as this will cause your CPU to run at full speed the whole time.

Hyper-threading would actually save power in theory (at least it does in my head, as hyper-threading just uses the CPU more effectively, so in theory, it should "do the job that needs doing" much quicker and go back to deep sleep quicker). So leave that on.

CPU Tuner https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ch.amana.android.cputuner is a nice app to manage the speed of your CPU. Can slow it down when you're low on battery or it's running hot etc. Lots of fine-grained control, but you have to spend time with it to get the best out of it. Using it with JuiceDefender can really help (JuiceDefender has an option to manage CPU speed, but warned me that it needed to install AOSP helper, which isn't supported and "may brick" my device, I was too much of a coward to try!)

Of course, the best thing you can do is make sure that apps are not misbehaving. I recently found tweetcaster pro was checking my twitter feed every ten minutes! Didn't show in the battery stats oddly, but obviously it powered up the radio every time it did this, somewhat hurting my battery and causing "mobile standby" usage to be a bit high...

Best of luck.

Guest utternoob

Thanks for the advice, I'll have a look. To me, even at 600mhz it seems quite fast, but I have noticed it occaisonally going up to 1.6ghz. Also not rooted, so the app won't help. I'll root soon, but not yet

Edited by utternoob

Alright the screen is a major major battery hog... I observed its easy to get standby of days.. But no more screen on time than 7 8 hours.. Flibblesan's screen time scree shot confirms my doubt :-(

Hyper-threading would actually save power in theory (at least it does in my head, as hyper-threading just uses the CPU more effectively, so in theory, it should "do the job that needs doing" much quicker and go back to deep sleep quicker). So leave that on.

Yes on the Atom hypethreading boosts both performance and reduces net energy consumption. Keep it enabled.

Some of the early Pentium 4s with hyperthreading (SMT) did under perform and user more energy in some situations, but Intel processors developed since then have generally shown both good performance improvements and reduced energy consumption in most situations. For the Atom in particular Java/Dalvik like codes almost always benefit from hyperthreading.

Guest xgt001

How long do you expect to get for on screen time? That's a pretty damn good time. N4 gets maybe half that.

ahh yeah.. thanks for helping me ... I asked a friend who has Nexus 4 and he said he gets exactly around 5.2 hours.... I easily get 7 - 8 hours screen time.

now the fun part... Xolo has 1460 mah battery... Nexus 4 2100 mah battery... Intel has done a really good job with Xolo ROM :D

Guest Pondlife

Bigger screen, higher resolution, more powerful processor so would expect it to use more, although will depend on backlighting levels too. Mind you the htc butterfly seems to do better than the One X.

He's doing well though seen people saying they get three and a half hours on N4

Guest xgt001

Bigger screen, higher resolution, more powerful processor so would expect it to use more, although will depend on backlighting levels too. Mind you the htc butterfly seems to do better than the One X.

He's doing well though seen people saying they get three and a half hours on N4

Naa an arm is an arm processor and even though if they manage quad cores it would not be giant power sucker. Although I concede with you to the screen factor consider that it is an IPS display it would consume less power. Correct me if I am wrong though

Guest markhuges

Use CPU Spy Plus to ensure yo

aBkPS.png

rB1bO.png

G3k11.png

nQAw8.png

ydP8u.png

How did you get your Screen to be only 44%? When i have brightness off fully its around 58%

Thank You

Guest BlueMoonRising

How did you get your Screen to be only 44%? When i have brightness off fully its around 58%

Thank You

You're obsessed with screen on time, I've told you it's just a percentage. flibblesans would be higher but he's been using benchmarks and games. Just the 3 that I can see on the screenshot uses 7%, if he'd not used them he would be at 51% for the screen.

Guest markhuges

You're obsessed with screen on time, I've told you it's just a percentage. flibblesans would be higher but he's been using benchmarks and games. Just the 3 that I can see on the screenshot uses 7%, if he'd not used them he would be at 51% for the screen.

Haha, true say Yeah :) just paranoid with that! other than that, its ok Kk, thanks for clearing it up.

Guest Pondlife

Yeah mine's only 18% screen but then screen has only been on for 47mins and off charge for 2d17hrs. Phone idle and standby have each used more than it...