Can we hope in Ubuntu for us G300? :)

Guest blaztar

Guest ScutulatusCrotalus

Hello Blaztar,

I think we do not meet the requirements. Our Huawei does not have that "powerful" processor and not that big eMMC.

Guest Dazzozo

dual core phones it says

No, that's Ubuntu for Android. Read again.

Entry level Ubuntu smartphone 1Ghz Cortex A9, 512MB – 1GB, 4-8GB eMMC + SD

We could probably juuuust about scrape it with a Cortex A5.

Guest MrJohnPT

I am very excited about it. Take a look at the keynote

Looks very promising.

How about it Daz? You're my favourite dev here. Think you're up for it? :D

Edited by MrJohnPT

Guest MrJohnPT

They've been working it for the past year and guarantee it will work with Android handsets. Also they are gonna be at a mobile convention. They at least have got to have a beta out there.

Guest Dazzozo

It should be possible to have it running. Whether it runs well enough to be suitable for daily use is a different question. "Entry level" is different terminology to "minimum requirements".

Guest krishang3

If they do release a build able source, daz could probably help build it, we all know he's a genius, plus our device actually does meet the requirements, its just that will it meet daily use? we'll have to wait and see.

Guest Dazzozo

Umm...

There are no requirements, just a specification for an entry level device which we don't actually meet. It's all good looking at the numbers but we're a Cortex A5 and it suggests a Cortex A9. Big difference.

It should still boot, but it depends what they mean by entry level. I would expect it to still be usable but occasionally slow which is basically the summary of all of our ROMs so far. :D

Guest krishang3
Umm...

There are no requirements, just a specification for an entry level device which we don't actually meet. It's all good looking at the numbers but we're a Cortex A5 and it suggests a Cortex A9. Big difference.

It should still boot, but it depends what they mean by entry level. I would expect it to still be usable but occasionally slow which is basically the summary of all of our ROMs so far. :D

true...

Will it the same as building android from source it will it be slightly different... looks nice

Guest Dazzozo
true... Will it the same as building android from source it will it be slightly different... looks nice

I imagine they'll use their own build system. Not really a big deal considering it can run Android kernels and drivers, though.

What would you do for apps? We are so spolit with the number of apps in the Play Store...

If you adopted it that early then you would be limited on choice, but from the promo that has been released they seem to have some big names already behind them.

Guest Caglio

I read that it can run html5 web apps just like normal apps, even pin them to your home screen, that's pretty sweet. To me it sounds pretty cool and looks nice but kinda basic for a smart phone os.

Also, do we need another mobile OS? IOS, Android, WM, Bada (you'd all forgotten about that one hadn't you!? :P), Mozilla's new OS, and now Ubuntu too, plus I'm pretty sure I've forgotten at least one. Lol.