Applications that can be safely disabled and/or deleted from 10.7GB space without rooting?

Guest DaveSimonH

Guest DaveSimonH

So I don't feel confident in rooting the phone yet, at least under warranty, but I was wanting to get as much space cleared from the 10.7GB partition "USB storage".

Any tips on how to safely trim some of the bloat without root access? By the way, my OSD is running 4.0.4

Once the 1yr standard warranty is up I'll probably root it, and add in a 16GB or 32GB microSD card.

I couldn't resist having a look under the back cover though, bloody tricky getting in there. Initially I was trying to coax it at the sim card gap, but eventually got it started at the top of the phone at the headphone jack.

Or am I being too cautious, should I root phone now rather than wait?

Edited by DaveSimonH

Guest BlueMoonRising

You can't remove any of the system apps without rooting. The most space you'll get is by flashing Xolo ICS (I think) but it's not a huge amount and you'll have Social Gallery sucking down your battery (it really is bad for that).

Guest markhuges

You cant Remove them - but You can do what i did - which was simply Disable the apps, eg. the uselss games, social gallary, orange services etc

Guest BlueMoonRising

You cant Remove them - but You can do what i did - which was simply Disable the apps, eg. the uselss games, social gallary, orange services etc

if I remember correctly even disabling Social Gallery didn't stop it using battery (admittedly I may be wrong about that :) ).

Guest BlueMoonRising

Yiy can unroot if something goes wrong

In fact you could root, delete the useless apps and then unroot. Although once you've rooted it's hard to go back :)

Guest markhuges

if I remember correctly even disabling Social Gallery didn't stop it using battery (admittedly I may be wrong about that :) ).

Your right about Social Gallary its taking up 3% on my battery :( after disabled I want to root, but just nervous, i might do something stupid like i always do - lol :P

But, all the other apps, such as orange services, the games you can disable and they stay disabled.

So ultimately OP its your decision - if you do decide to root let me know how it goes :)

Here are some apps to disable Edit: How do i take a screenshot?

:Google Books

Orange Wednesdays

Weather

UNO

All the games

Quick Office

Quicke Tap

Swpe

Mobile Mail

Moview Studio

Your orange

face unlock

double twist

google + if you want

Edited by markhuges

Guest DaveSimonH

I'll think it over, but in the meantime I'll disable some of the extra apps. Guess over the next couple of weeks I'll just see if I can get by on the inbuilt memory. If/when I get tired of deleting files I will look into rooting, to get a MicroSD card in there.

Guest markhuges

I'll think it over, but in the meantime I'll disable some of the extra apps. Guess over the next couple of weeks I'll just see if I can get by on the inbuilt memory. If/when I get tired of deleting files I will look into rooting, to get a MicroSD card in there.

Kk Best of luck! @ hacker -- it dont work , tired it :(

Guest BlueMoonRising

Kk Best of luck! @ hacker -- it dont work , tired it :(

The screenshot does work, it just takes a certain knack, practice, practice, practice.

Guest markhuges

The screenshot does work, it just takes a certain knack, practice, practice, practice.

Thanks for that it works! Here is what i Disabled and my battery stats

post-990622-0-52194900-1357557886_thumb.

post-990622-0-44134900-1357557889_thumb.

post-990622-0-73330600-1357557892_thumb.

post-990622-0-33582700-1357557895_thumb.

post-990622-0-86668800-1357557897_thumb.

post-990622-0-51009500-1357557900_thumb.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest topcat07

so now rooted running ICS XOLO which is dedexoed. Just to quickly clarify the apps that are left social gallery etc are best just being disabled as you can not delete them safely?

Guest BlueMoonRising

so now rooted running ICS XOLO which is dedexoed. Just to quickly clarify the apps that are left social gallery etc are best just being disabled as you can not delete them safely?

Incorrect, be careful what you delete(there is a list somewhere, search for it) but social gallery is best removed entirely.

Guest topcat07

Incorrect, be careful what you delete(there is a list somewhere, search for it) but social gallery is best removed entirely.

this sounds as though i am being lazy but have searched on google and with the search bar at the top but can not find this anywhere

Guest BlueMoonRising

this sounds as though i am being lazy but have searched on google and with the search bar at the top but can not find this anywhere

Since I've deleted them a long time ago I can't actually remember all of them but :-

Xolo care

Social Gallery

Kepplr

Double Twist

Movie Gallery?(or something similar)

I think there was another Xolo app, something to do with warranty maybe?

Obviously if you actually need any of the above then leave them but do be careful what you delete and don'y get carried away. Maybe try disabling them first as a trial run.

Guest topcat07

Since I've deleted them a long time ago I can't actually remember all of them but :-

Xolo care

Social Gallery

Kepplr

Double Twist

Movie Gallery?(or something similar)

I think there was another Xolo app, something to do with warranty maybe?

Obviously if you actually need any of the above then leave them but do be careful what you delete and don'y get carried away. Maybe try disabling them first as a trial run.

great stuff thanks , if you disable and it causes issues i assume it is possible to still use the phone to un-disable..

Guest BlueMoonRising

Can the stock browser email & Gmail apps be removed if you're using 3rd party alternatives?

Not tried it myself yet but I can't see why not, I've wondered the same about the dialer, messaging and contacts apps since I use the Go alternatives. I think removing the stock launcher however is a VERY bad idea ;)

Guest utternoob

Not tried it myself yet but I can't see why not, I've wondered the same about the dialer, messaging and contacts apps since I use the Go alternatives. I think removing the stock launcher however is a VERY bad idea ;)

I've removed it and phone seems to be fine

Guest BlueMoonRising