Random Reboots issue

Guest vNa5h

I get random reboots at an average of twice a day and is on a higher side while gaming..

And this is not just limited to a single ROM...

i get it on almost every other JB ROM...

This wasnt the case about 3-4 months back while i was using ICS...

like some other guys suggested ...

i guess the problem can be s2e...

since s2e had official support for ics...

This happened to me a lot with every ROM I tried. I think the problem lies in a S2E/microSD combination.

If I don't use S2E (or link2sd), everything runs smoothly. While using S2E/link2sd I tested 4 different microSD brands and two of made my phone very unstable (Transced 8GB class 4 & Sandisk 16GB class 4). The other two are fine (no brand -- Kingston?? -- 2GB and 16GB class 4).

BTW i havent OCed my phone..

nor have changes any perf(I/O,ram) settings

If not can somebody suggest what can be the reason behind it

And i you view this thread and have cm 10.1 ... pl atleast vote ...wont take even 2 secs

atleast i can find out if others have the same problem

Edited by vNa5h

Guest jventura

I get random reboots at an average of twice a day and is on a higher side while gaming..

And this is not just limited to a single ROM...

i get it on almost every other JB ROM...

This wasnt the case about 3-4 months back while i was using ICS...

You should try an ICS rom again to see if you have problems also there.. It can be faulty hardware like problems with memory, etc..

I never had one single reboot with android cm7 (2.3.7), even with overclock to 691mhz. Since I moved to 10.1, I had 3 random reboots in 1 week, without overclock... 10.1 is still under heavy development, random reboots might happen...

Guest targetbsp

Is the No(ICS/GB) meant to say no(ICS/JB) ?

Because I have no problem in Gingerbread with S2E. I've no problem such as you describe in ICS/JB with S2E but due to other issues. I've probably never run ICS/JB long enough to know. :D

Guest sej7278

only time i ever got reboots was with cm7.2 (iirc) when i was overclocking. cm9/10/10.1 are rock solid.

s2e worked ok-ish for cm10, for 10.1 i gave up with it, pile of poo.

I didn't have this issue in cm7 or 9 or 10 but had just one random reboot in cm10.1

I am using s2e for more than a year now and have no problems whatsoever ^_^

confirmed it with some essential apps on internal memory...and the dh holdem poker (damn im addicted to poker :P) which was giving me reboots..still had the RR

(had a RR when i almost won huge amounts of money of course virtual money...lost my cool and was almost gonna hurl my mobile against the wall)

now im sure that s2e is not the problem...

so its either the instability of JB(since others dont have it i guess this is highly unlikely) or

i guess i got a lemon...

should have not trusted a startup (yes ZTE was one when blade was launched) chinese company..

lot of variations in quality of the product...

that explains how some OC it upto 780+ w/o any problems and some cant even exceed 700+

Is the No(ICS/GB) meant to say no(ICS/JB) ?

No....i meant the bread one :P

Edited by vNa5h

With S2E, stability of the SD card storage is crucial. If the SD card fails, applications and (depending on individual settings), dalvik cache, application data and so on suddenly become unavailable. That can easily lead to "soft" reboots.

At least in my Blade, the little hinge that presses down the SD card onto the contacts was a little bit on the loose side. I carefully bent the hinge down to apply more pressure to the card, and now it sits snuggly on the contacts with no play at all. Before that I had random problems with the SD card suddenly disappearing from the system.

With S2E, stability of the SD card storage is crucial. If the SD card fails, applications and (depending on individual settings), dalvik cache, application data and so on suddenly become unavailable. That can easily lead to "soft" reboots.

At least in my Blade, the little hinge that presses down the SD card onto the contacts was a little bit on the loose side. I carefully bent the hinge down to apply more pressure to the card, and now it sits snuggly on the contacts with no play at all. Before that I had random problems with the SD card suddenly disappearing from the system.

Very true!

And SD card brand/model is also quite important, but it's difficult to track down. I had lots of problems with a highly recommended (in another thread) Sandisk 16GB class 4 and no problems at all with a couple of cards of lesser (unknown) brands...

With CM10.1 I've experienced another kind of (soft) reboot,not really random: sometimes when waking up the device only the button leds would light up and a few seconds later the startup animation would start (a soft-reboot?).

Today I've disabled the lockscreen and had no more reboots while waking up the device. It's a bit early to say anything, but it seems likely the lockscreen has something to do with it (or my specific lockscreen config, which includes a couple of extra apps and a custom icon stored in the sdcard).

EDIT: Two days later, the reboots when waking up are still gone. I'm guessing they're definitely lockscreen related...

Edited by _Nuno_

With CM10.1 I've experienced another kind of (soft) reboot,not really random: sometimes when waking up the device only the button leds would light up and a few seconds later the startup animation would start (a soft-reboot?).

Yeah that happens a lot for me ...

Dont think so...s2e is the problem..

coz i still had RR w/o s2e

Guest Ganster

CM10.1 + S2E installed(apps and dalvik cache moved to sd-ext) + CPU frequency 729 MHz = no unexpected reboots.

Don't understand what are you talking about.

CM10.1 + S2E installed(apps and dalvik cache moved to sd-ext) + CPU frequency 729 MHz = no unexpected reboots.

Don't understand what are you talking about.

then i guess its definitely manufacturing defects...

i guess zte dumped its bad batch to dell

i got one from the bad batch/lot i guess...

coz a lot of people have the reboots...and lots of people dont...check poll

Edited by vNa5h

Regarding at least the RR problems that I had, I don't think the problem is ROM specific. I also don't think it's related directly to S2E/link2sd.

Because RR stopped completely when I replaced my microsd card, the problem is definitely (partially) hardware related. If the problem has an intermittent nature, it would be easier to spot when the phone is more dependent on the sdcard (e.g., when s2e/link2sd are being used). That would probably explain why people often suspect S2E causes instability...

Also, there are so many combinations of Blade hardware versions and sdcard brand/model that we probably won't find two exactly equal cases between the almost 30 people who voted in this poll... :)

Edited by _Nuno_

Well even I have a Dell XCD 35 but I havent never experienced RR and I use S2E and move everything except dalvik

Also I can OC to 768MHz with no probs after that my phone is unstable lol

Today I've disabled the lockscreen and had no more reboots while waking up the device. It's a bit early to say anything, but it seems likely the lockscreen has something to do with it (or my specific lockscreen config, which includes a couple of extra apps and a custom icon stored in the sdcard).

EDIT: Two days later, the reboots when waking up are still gone. I'm guessing they're definitely lockscreen related...

I had this problem... I found that "automatic brightness" was the cause of it. I never had one random reboot after disabling that option and setting brightness manually :)

I had this problem... I found that "automatic brightness" was the cause of it. I never had one random reboot after disabling that option and setting brightness manually :)

I always had "automatic brightness" disabled, but I do use another app to manage brightness automatically. Either way, the crashes have stopped since I disabled the lockscreen (which I didn't really need) so the "problem" may have multiple causes...

Finally switched from cm10.1 to this rom again...

no reboots till now...

and the phone was OCed to 652 / playing music and DH poker at the same time...

im pretty sure cm10.1 would have had at least 3-5 reboots in the same span

and btw guys if you think that additional features means additional bugs then you are wrong...

used both cm10 and this rom...equally for testing...

im sure both were the same...

and with this rom you get hell lot of additional features too

son of a biitch!!!

the RR returned...

yesterday the phone was running all fine w/o a single reboot...

got 2-3 reboots within a span of an hour

this IS REALLY ANNOYING... :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:

the only thing left is to buy a new phone!!!

Guest elrond_bs

Have you tried a clean install of a stable GB ROM (ex. Swedish Snow), without ext on SD and with very few programs installed (as clean as possible)? At lest to check if RRs are prevented this way. If not - it's almost certainly a hardware fault. You could even try restoring stock ROM.

Also your poll is not very valid, because it doesn't mention which version of Jelly Bean (4.1 or 4.2) you are referring to. 4.2 is not so stable and RRs are common, while 4.1 is very stable with no RRs in most cases.

Edited by elrond_bs