Mobile Broadband on a Budget (or FREE!)

Guest Zarch1972

Guest Mr.Clark

Ohhhh ovivo has upped the allowance again, up to 150 minutes and 200 texts, internet remains the same though with 400mb for phone plans and 500mb for data plans. They also seem to have added monthly tariffs, of you can add these on a monthly basis it could be a really useful spare that can be topped up should you need a month with extra data or calls

I still don't understand how they're making money off me...

Edited by Mr.Clark

Guest everett_psycho

I still don't understand how they're making money off me...

I would love to see their business plan, if I went in to a bank and said I want to offer people free mobile phone use for £10 for life I'm fairly sure I'd be laughed out the for before I even got to the manager

Guest dwarfcoach

They've changed the set up again for Ovivo. You can't buy top-up 'Ovivo Packs' anymore for when you've used up your free allowance, you can either pay for extra per minute/text/mb you use from money on your account or (and this is what they are encouraging) sign up for their pay-per-month deals. All very reasonable deals but you just can't beat free now, can you?

I fear this company will not be around by this time next year but whilst they are around I'm gonna grab the free data whilst th going is good...

Guest Ribs85

Similar for me.

I've been an Ovivo customer for about a month and a half now. Was rather annoyed by the change away from the packs, as they were really helpful to buy data when we were away from home for any length of time.

Never saw a single advert when I was with them the whole time. I did play with Onavo (data compression app, uses VPN for this, so effectively, no ads would get through) for a while, and checked via Twitter that this would be okay. Ovivo said they had no problem with it, T&Cs also don't mention VPNs, so I suspect they have dropped the idea of adverts altogether.

Thankfully I was smart enough to e-mail them about my coverage problems at home from the start, and got a really healthy amount of time to port out *and* get a refund of unused credit. Which I've now done.

So now I'm moving to Three, as I want unlimited data, and giffgaff/O2's signal is a little shaky at home... So that's my phone sorted with a 30-day contract.

For Ovivo's flaws though... If I had decent signal at home, I'd have been tempted to stay, and even forfeit the unlimited data, as the customer service was excellent, and the price was right, for the most part.

When the new Nexus 7 comes out, I will be buying the 3G version, and shoving a sim card from Ovivo in it... Just 'cos I can!

Ovivo has it's place, but not for my main phone anymore, sadly.

Also got a Samba SIM, which is pretty good and works well with my MiFi device.

Nexus7 Mk2 with a Ovivo SIM, and Samba with a Mifi will be a killer combination for my time away from home and should guarantee good signal everywhere with a low price of £0/month.

Not bad.

Guest shootomanUK

samba mobile:

so let me get this right, i watch online videos that give me free megabytes of internet that i use to watch more videos and so on....?

if your using your free internet to watch more videos then what are you gaining ??

Guest everett_psycho
samba mobile:

so let me get this right, i watch online videos that give me free megabytes of internet that i use to watch more videos and so on....?

if your using your free internet to watch more videos then what are you gaining ??

If I remember rightly the samba advert site doesn't come out of your days allowance. You can watch them over any connection though, so watch rt them at home and get the allowance for when out and about

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dwarfcoach

Ovivo saga continues:

http://ovivomobile.com/4089/blog/mobile-advertising-is-back/

The nuts & bolts of it (without the child friendly graphics) are -

*Each time you open your phone browser you will see a selection of offers from chosen partners that they think will be relevant to you.

*Click on offer or after 5 seconds you can press “Continue”" at the bottom of the page to continue browsing to your chosen site.

Too intrusive? I don't think it will be so will be trying it ouit on my phone as of next week. I'm also curious to see how this will be implimented on mi-fi... Oh well, soon see I suppose.

Guest Zarch1972

Ovivo saga continues:

http://ovivomobile.com/4089/blog/mobile-advertising-is-back/

The nuts & bolts of it (without the child friendly graphics) are -

*Each time you open your phone browser you will see a selection of offers from chosen partners that they think will be relevant to you.

*Click on offer or after 5 seconds you can press “Continue”" at the bottom of the page to continue browsing to your chosen site.

Too intrusive? I don't think it will be so will be trying it ouit on my phone as of next week. I'm also curious to see how this will be implimented on mi-fi... Oh well, soon see I suppose.

Yeah, I stuck the info in the post about their APN changes.

Only time will tell how annoying the ads become. :(

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest madsam106

I activated my Ovivo sim yesterday and ported over me number from Giffgaff on my Ascend G300. All's well except on this phone I use Opera mini beta 5 for browsing as the forums I frequent appear much better, the settings for Ovivo obviously default the stock browser so it can redirect to ads which I have no problem with as I'm getting a good deal. Is there a way to set Opera as my default, I've tried the old 

Settings-applications-manage applications-clear default but the clear default is greyed out on stock browser

any ideas folks?

• 2 weeks later...

I activated my Ovivo sim yesterday and ported over me number from Giffgaff on my Ascend G300. All's well except on this phone I use Opera mini beta 5 for browsing as the forums I frequent appear much better, the settings for Ovivo obviously default the stock browser so it can redirect to ads which I have no problem with as I'm getting a good deal. Is there a way to set Opera as my default, I've tried the old 

Settings-applications-manage applications-clear default but the clear default is greyed out on stock browser

any ideas folks?

Ovivo does not like the socket port

In Opera mini you need to go into settings->advanced->protocol

and change it form Socket/HTTP to just HTTP

• 3 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.