Need help with buying new phone

Guest timoti111

Guest Redstarr1

I bought myself a used phone. My Xperia S was only 2 months old but I got it for half the price of a new one. It still has warranty, is getting a JB update in a few months and the quality is excellent.

But seeing as you want a new one, I'd recommend the Jiayu G3. It's just a bit out of your price range (€200). You'd need to import it from a webshop like aliexpress. Paul did a special about Chinese phones a while ago, and which importers you could trust. It would be worth the 50 extra € though.. It even has a beta update to Jelly Bean (made by the manufacturer! LG, Huawei, ZTE wouldn't bother updating their phone beyond ICS in this price range, hell in any price range for most of those 3).

I was wondering about this phone....

http://www.amazon.co...7/dp/B008YEIU8I

...and whether it was a suitable replacement for that of the skate...? Apart from the 512mb of memory it seems ok for the price...?

That phone doesn't even have a Chinese brand, it might be okay as a phone but I wouldn't expect a lot of developer support.

Guest dibbles

If you read some of the reviews though they are fairly positive and the phone itself does have a reasonable spec for the cost.

My father in law has ordered one after trying one ot which another family member had bought.

The website from the supplier is here....

http://www.dracotek....tphone-pda.html

I would very much doubt any home brew ROM's or other support but depending on your use it might be a worthy consideration...?

There is also this one....

ThL W3+ Android 4.0.4 MTK6577 1GHz 1GB RAM Dual SIM 4.5-inch Capacitive Screen 3G Smartphone with WiFi GPS 8MP Camera

http://www.amazon.co...=A202EZEMNJ43XN

with a good review here....

http://randomness011...577-review.html

and video...

Edited by dibbles

Guest jul57640

i think i will buy a wiko cink peax (a clone of W3+) i hope there will be a lot of devs interested by theses cheapest phone as they have already release source :D

Guest omegavesko
i think i will buy a wiko cink peax (a clone of W3+) i hope there will be a lot of devs interested by theses cheapest phone as they have already release source :D

I hate to disappoint, but those phones always have zero development support. You'll be stuck with whatever software it comes with.

Guest omegavesko

i don't know that....

i have seen there is jelly bean update in a month and kernel source released on wiko website

The Linux kernel is GPL, they have to release kernel source. That doesn't really mean much.

The issue with those phones isn't that they're locked down, it's that the community is so small there's no point in developing ROMs for them.

Guest TouchyAndalou

I'd recommend to anybody looking to buy a new 'cheap' phone, to save up that bit extra for a Nexus 4. Obviously this isn't possible for everybody, but if you can manage it it's definitely worth it. For that bit of extra cash you're getting essentially a top of the range smartphone, with a huge developer community, that'll easily last you a good year.

I recently got one and am really happy with the build quality and speed of the device. Compared to the Skate, the difference is obviously night and day.

Guest omegavesko

I'd recommend to anybody looking to buy a new 'cheap' phone, to save up that bit extra for a Nexus 4. Obviously this isn't possible for everybody, but if you can manage it it's definitely worth it. For that bit of extra cash you're getting essentially a top of the range smartphone, with a huge developer community, that'll easily last you a good year.

I recently got one and am really happy with the build quality and speed of the device. Compared to the Skate, the difference is obviously night and day.

Well... if Play Store Devices supports your country, that is. The Nexus 4 costs 500€+ in most countries.

If you have access to it via the play store though, it's ridiculously cheap for the hardware you're getting.