optimized kernel 2.6.32.9-perf

Guest desalesouche

Guest desalesouche

Hey,

Here is the contents of my /system compressed for you: http://www.mediafire...0883gp5ssgfd5ao As you can see I have deleted various files which I personally didn't think were necessary and then tested before deleting some more. The irsii file for example is a chat client for linux which you most likely will not use. Some of the files I have deleted may well break things, it could just be that either I haven't noticed that yet or that in the way I use my phone these changes do not affect me. For me everything seems to be functional with the way /system is at the moment. Also, I am using Lightning Launcher and Swype keyboard - this launcher seems to be the lightest I have found on phone memory resources.

Better to take time with each individual change to make sure nothing has broken instead of going ahead too quickly - I've learnt this the hard way..

I have not tested the frandom module, how should I apply this to test? I am testing your newest boot.img as we speak, will report back here on how that goes.

thanks for your comments and feeback!

Peter

Edit: what I really notice regarding the sound quality is the voice quality in calls, again, I have no way of quantifying this but it seems much better during phone calls now!

i use it with crossbreeder fom xda; but if you don't want to use crossbreeder you can still use an init.d file.

#!/system/bin/sh

insmod /system/lib/modules/frandom.ko

sleep 5

rm /dev/random && ln -s /dev/frandom /dev/random

after that you can check if frandom is loaded typing in terminal: su and after that lsmod | grep frandom.

if ok you can check with another test (see link)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=37482414&postcount=203

link to crossbreeder thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2113150 a lot explanation in op.

Guest pedrojaime

I went back to your first post in this thread and applied frandom+crossbreeder over lunch. Wow, I didn't know what I was talking about until I loaded the frandom.ko kernel module and checked later that it was loading over lunch. The sound is incredible! Will test some more with the headphones and line-in AUX in the car but it really makes a difference. not sure how big an impact it will have on battery life, will let you know about that too. Thanks a lot and great job Desalesouche! :D

Peter

Guest jgilalonso

Great news!!!

Desalesouche still is working in our ROM :D

Yo también escribo en Español...podemos cambiar el idioma? je, je, je

I'll test the new kernel tomorrow. :ph34r:

Thanks a lot.

Guest pedrojaime

Just wondering guys, is crossbreeder a crossbred version of seeder or what does it do and could this be the reason why my battery doesn't quite seem as good anymore? Would I still get the benefits of improved audio quality solely with the new kernel +frandom.ko kernel module without crossbreeder?

gracias ;)

Guest pedrojaime

Bad news I'm afraid, had to revert to the old Styx standard kernel because wifi was broken. When I mean broken, it was just a question of getting an IP address that was the problem since I set a static IP and it worked fine. Is there anything else I need to do to get dhcp working? Could it be the incorrect MAC address issue or do you think its just dhcp that's the problem since the static IP worked.

thanks,

Peter

Guest desalesouche

Just wondering guys, is crossbreeder a crossbred version of seeder or what does it do and could this be the reason why my battery doesn't quite seem as good anymore? Would I still get the benefits of improved audio quality solely with the new kernel +frandom.ko kernel module without crossbreeder?

gracias ;)

crossbreeder is different from seeder.same idea (entropy) but different binary.i don't know if crossbreeder is draining battery or if it is some optimization from the kernel, or even if it is the battery who seem to go down and up....

you can use kernel and frandom .ko without crossbreeder. but to get the benefit of crossbreeder you have to use an init.d file who will insmod the module.audio quality is in kernel not in module or crossbreeder...crossbreeder is there for lag and net. tweak( no ad/ fatser browsing and dl) frandom .ko is helping for fast download.

Edited by desalesouche

Guest desalesouche

Bad news I'm afraid, had to revert to the old Styx standard kernel because wifi was broken. When I mean broken, it was just a question of getting an IP address that was the problem since I set a static IP and it worked fine. Is there anything else I need to do to get dhcp working? Could it be the incorrect MAC address issue or do you think its just dhcp that's the problem since the static IP worked.

thanks,

Peter

1/ i don't remenber...is it the same boot.img for styx and for onyx(cm7)? or does the ramdisk is suposed to be different...

2/ where you using crossbreeder while wifi problem? if yes you can try solution proposed on crossbreeder thread on op page.

i think that the mac adress problem is solved.at least domica told me so in his thread about destructor boot.img.

and you have the same boot.img normally +my work on boot.img

Edited by desalesouche

Guest pedrojaime

Opening up Zoom Camera app taked 3s instead of 5s with crossbreeder applied so a definite performance increase and also with the displaying of the settings menus. I can confirm that crossbreeder is not affecting wifi either!

frandom kernel module is definitely making webpages load faster too!

So far, Frandom+crossbreeder - wifi keeps working fine..

EDIT: applying the boot.img breaks the wifi (dhcp) with more than one wifi access point, this is where its breaking.

Edited by pedrojaime

Guest desalesouche

Opening up Zoom Camera app taked 3s instead of 5s with crossbreeder applied so a definite performance increase and also with the displaying of the settings menus. I can confirm that crossbreeder is not affecting wifi either!

frandom kernel module is definitely making webpages load faster too!

So far, Frandom+crossbreeder - wifi keeps working fine..

EDIT: applying the boot.img breaks the wifi (dhcp) with more than one wifi access point, this is where its breaking.

would you try that boot.img?(with styx) http://www.mediafire.com/?2s111iw1t32pe9q

Guest pedrojaime

Hey, wifi is working, nice! thank you :)

btw, this was flashed on top of crossbreeder+frandom

Edited by pedrojaime

Guest desalesouche

Hey, wifi is working, nice! thank you :)

btw, this was flashed on top of crossbreeder+frandom

what about the sound? and whatever you can tell me? dime todo! jejeje.

i am going to upload you boot.img for styx with more tweaks test both and tell me if one has better battery life/performance or whatever.please.

so if you can test one boot.img diring one day and the other one during one also.they are the same but some tweaks in init.rc.this would help me.thank you.

http://www.mediafire.com/?zwtfraamasgfk3v

Edited by desalesouche

Guest desalesouche

i think i manage to add voodoo sound... :ph34r: muhahahahaha! will upload soon.

one kernel for styx and another one for cm7.2 etc...

voodoo sound for styx----> http://www.mediafire...ehn5vvt7730vv11

(init.rc without tweaks)

voodoo sound for cm7.2 ----> http://www.mediafire...f8g0squ65rpxxx3

don't forget to set your sd with ext4 .

kernel support ext4 . see my github for changelog.

edit about cam: i am not sure but i think i manage to fix the line on picture.(will do more pics to be sure)

Edited by desalesouche

Guest pedrojaime

IMG_20130225_082933.jpg.zip

Hey,

This is great. I am testing as we speak. It's difficult for me at the moment to give you quantifiable results. I am also working more with ADB since I want to get into Android development and I am diving in trying to learn more so hopefully I can contribute to your efforts in a more meaningful way!

So far I have not seen any problems with battery life. I have found (before applying these last two patches) that with the current state of my phone, I can get up to 1% discharge of the battery life (from a full charge) every 5-6 hours overnight. This is the best I have achieved. It is important to note though that during 8 of these 12 hours the phone is in airplane mode so of course that makes a huge difference. I will do this test again as soon as I can to let you know any differences with the patches applied.

About the image tweaks, what exactly are these supposed to do? Improve the rendering speed? If so, I do seem to notice my images opening up faster. Does the patch also affect the image quality of pictures taken with the camera?

Attached is a sample picture I have taken of my son with this phone, build.prop tweaks and zoom camera (free ads-version). Note this all happened 2 weeks ago without any of your supplied patches. I find the stock camera app causes many random lines in pictures, but no lines with zoom camera app though.. Will try taking some more pics in comparable good light situations with your patches to see if there is an improvement. Who says you can't take a decent picture with the pulse. Finally, note the sunlight is very bright in Quito, Ecuador - a good place to test how good these phone displays are in bright sunlight.. I doubt winter low-light back in the UK would give as good results taking pictures with the pulse. This camera does not handle low-light well at all.

Any tips/advice you can give me on learning android ROM building are greatly appreciated! I tried to decompile/edit/recompile framework-res.apk last friday but failed even a basic changing of the wallpaper file. I have read about apktool - is this the util recommended for these kinds of thing?

thanks,

Peter

Edited by pedrojaime

Guest desalesouche

to compile kernel--->

my github---> https://github.com/desalesouche/kernel_huawei_u8220

so know with 2 first links , you can choose between 3 source:pier11, destructOr, and mine...

command to build kernel( i updated it ) : make -j4 ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=${HOME}/android/kernel/toolchains/arm-eabi-linaro-4.6.2/bin/arm-eabi-

how to compile module(frandom)--->

will provide more link about building rom later .

the great great things would be to manage to compile the ar6000.ko so after that we can upgrade kernel with a working wifi....

Guest pedrojaime

Doing a lot of reading at the moment, I can report that in 6 hours overnight my battery went down 4%. before this was 1% so something is definitely eating battery up more than before with the latest kernel+img and vodoo patches. that is all i can say for the moment. The sound seems even better with less distortion - need to test more with headphones since the little speaker can take that much and I have vanilla media player which allows me to increase the sound to 149% of normal max media volume (good for in-car AUX port).

Thanks a lot for the helpful links, will get to is as soon as I can :)

Peter

Edit, what errors are you getting in the compiling of the ar6000.ko kernel module? Is it failing at line 1 or getting quite far before it fails??

Edited by pedrojaime

Guest desalesouche

Doing a lot of reading at the moment, I can report that in 6 hours overnight my battery went down 4%. before this was 1% so something is definitely eating battery up more than before with the latest kernel+img and vodoo patches. that is all i can say for the moment. The sound seems even better with less distortion - need to test more with headphones since the little speaker can take that much and I have vanilla media player which allows me to increase the sound to 149% of normal max media volume (good for in-car AUX port).

Thanks a lot for the helpful links, will get to is as soon as I can :)

Peter

Edit, what errors are you getting in the compiling of the ar6000.ko kernel module? Is it failing at line 1 or getting quite far before it fails??

which kernel do you use actually? the one with optimization in init.rc ot the one without optimization?

and here is a link about my problem with ar6000 ... http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=39330706&postcount=32

if you manage to compile it ( you might have to compile the kernel before ;) ) just tell me and make a how to.if you need any help to set everything(environment build github etc...)

just tell me i will provide you link and information etc etc....

Guest jgilalonso

Hi Pedro Jaime and desalesouche,

Somos pocos los que quedamos en este foro...

but it doesn't matter.

I like my U8220 (Pulse) and I want more!!

I would like install a official ROM (UK, Hungarian, Tre, etc...) to start from scratch.

I've notice my phone start very slow and can't flash through fastboot.

At this moment I've CM7.2-Onyx -Reworked with your last Kernel.

and wifi is very bad.

The phone works but my battery drains very fast.

Quizas es la bateria pero quiero descartar la mezcla de kernels y ROMS.

I don't know if I can brick my pulse but I think it's necessary.

I've read the "Ultimate Pulse Owner Guide" but I want your recommendations.

He tratado de actualizar con la UK 2.1 Oficial con la carpeta dload en la raiz de la SD, pero cuando he iniciado mediante (Power + Volumen UP + End Call) he obtenido "Update Failed"

Is it necessary flash Time Machine?

Please, Can you lead me?

Thanks!!!

EDIT: I don't know what version is my U8220.

mi almacenamiento interno son 220 MB.

Es muy superior a las particiones de Tre o UK

If you need more information for help me...ask me

Edited by jgilalonso

Guest pedrojaime

Call me crazy but I am using a 10-year old laptop (original centrino 1.4 single core processor with 2Gb ram) and the thing flies because I have a light Archlinux running and only what I need on it. Can boot to Window manager in 8 seconds - beat that MS Windows XP/7/8.. By the same token, I am also very happy with the pulse and it runs just what I need. There is something very satisfying about getting old hardware to run more efficiently than new machines. OK, so I have to wait 7 seconds for whatsapp to start on the pulse but that's another story - its not my fault that everyone has chosen to use whatsapp instead of better, faster alternatives (the same way VHS was chosen over beta max - now I am showing my age).

I was scared too at the beginning of bricking my phone. I wrote at length in this forum somewhere about what I did to recover from that.. But honestly, in my experience its virtually impossible to brick the pulse and that's why I love it, because its such a good phone for flashing, testing, learning etc.

First, do you mean that you have a /system partition that is 220Mb?? Are you sure? Mine (that came with my flashed Ecuador Movistar 1.5 android rom) is 85Mb. Everyone on this forum talks of TRE/UK/Hungarian roms giving you 110Mb but that breaks the 3G frequency for Ecuador so I am stuck with 85mb.

I really see no good reason to go to a 2.1 rom but if you want to try it, put time machine update.zip in the root of your sdcard. (make sure you copy off everything important from the SDCARD first) and there is no emergency that your phone must work for a few hours before trying this. Then pull the battery and run the update sequence (holding down Menu+End(red button)+vol up, slide the battery in) and it should flash the update.zip. I find the movistar 1.5 rom can also be used and you can use that update.zip which will then allow you to flash 2.1 or 2.2. From there you can flash 2.3 if you wish. I really find the Styx rom very good and fast.

I am just re-reading your message and it sounds like you are doing everything correctly. YES, you are correct, you will need to use time machine or movistar 1.5 rom to take you back to earlier Android versions.

Once you have re-installed, the most useful program I have found for monitoring battery use is 'system panel app/task manager' Note you only get the graphs if you buy it but its worth it (graphs even work on 2.2, unlike batterbattery stats app). It will show you exactly what is using the processor at which time. Let me know if you have trouble finding suitable Time machines/Movistar rom and I can find and upload them for you. Cpu tuner is also very good if you want to for example switch to use only 2g only when the phone screen is off and fancy things like that which will help you save more battery.

I am writing this from memory but write back if you get stuck and I will help you become unstuck. Good luck!

EDIT: btw, Desalesouche, not me is providing new kernels and patches, I've just done a lot of testing ;)

Edited by pedrojaime

Guest jgilalonso

Hola Pedro Jaime, soy de España.

Quizas no me he explicado bien.

Lo que quiero es poner una ROM oficial para dejarlo todo como de fabrica para luego pasarme otra vez a una Custom ROM.

Por partes:

1) Si voy a Ajustes--> Almacenamiento, en Almacentamiento interno aparece lo siguiente:

Espacio Total: 220 MB

Espacio Disponible: 37,3 MB

Si tienes otra forma de mirar el espacio de /system me lo comentas y te lo reviso.

EDITO: Salida de df -k /system

Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on

/dev/block/mtdblock4 174080 88560 85520 51% /system

2) Si tu crees que no es necesario volver a una ROM Oficial para hacer una limpieza completa, explicame como.

Ultimamente veo que arranca muy lento y el wifi va fatal incluso cambiando el kernel.

--------------------------------

Hello Pedro Jaime, i'm from Spain.

Maybe I haven't explained very well.

What I want is to put an official ROM to leave everything as factory and then flash to a Custom ROM.

1) If I go to Settings -> Storage, in Internal Storage appears:

Space Total: 220 MB

Space Available: 37.3 MB

If you know another way of looking the space in /system, you mention and I review it.

EDIT: Print of df -k /system

Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on

/dev/block/mtdblock4 174080 88560 85520 51% /system

2) If you think you do not need to return to an Official ROM to make a complete cleaning, tell me how.

Lately the phone start very slow and the wifi is horrible even changing the kernel.

Edited by jgilalonso

Guest pedrojaime

Hola jgilalonso,

Did you try this section from the pulse owners guide? 'Removing all Traces of Custom Roms' It sounds like this is what you tried and this is where it's failing. It looks like your /system is 170Mb! That's huge but very useful. Its also very good that your /system is only 51% full.

Do you have Clockwork recovery installed? Hold down Menu+End+Power to start until you start in recovery (or reboot -> recovery option from Android). I am using Clockwork recovery 2.5.0.7 - it works very well. If you have this, then try these options first before trying time machine:

-wipe cache partition

- advanced -> wipe dalvik cache

- advanced -> wipe battery stats

press Home to go back and reboot. Will take a bit longer but once rebooted (give at least a minute after rebooted to check), Android should be smoother. Is your phone still really slow?

If so, what you can do (after saving important information to PC), is to reinstall CM7.2-Onyx in Clockwork recovery:

-wipe data/factory reset

-wipe cache partition

- advanced -> wipe dalvik cache

- advanced -> wipe battery stats

then, choose 'install zip from SD card' and re-flash CM7.2-Onyx again. Wait patiently for first boot, go through setup and reboot again. Now the phone should be in a better state. Personally I tried CM72-Onyx and I really liked it and the features but far too slow compared with Styx rom (2.2) so I went back to that one. Let me know where you get up to and most importantly if you do not have Clockwork recovery on your phone!

If you cannot boot into Android, don't panic, because with Clockwork recovery you can go into:

- mounts and storage -> mount USB storage

and plug into USB on computer and you will be able to put CM7.2-Onyx.zip on the sdcard without a microSD-to-USB adaptor

If you do not have Clockwork recovery, there are ways around that too, you just have to get it flashed on the phone with fastboot, I can explain this if you get to that point. Although Android may be in a very bad state, it is extremely unlikely that your phone is bricked so don't worry, just be patient going through these steps until we get it back.

Let me know how far you get. Escribo en inglés para que todos puedan entender pero avísame si algo te confunde para explicarte en español.

Saludos,

Peter (un Anglo-Ecuatoriano)

Guest jgilalonso

Hi Pedro Jaime.

I have a lot of expertise flashing :) ...more than I wanted :(

My phone has installed CWM 2.5.0.7

I've tried everything on CWM...without luck.

I'll review this section Removing all Traces of Custom Rom that I didn't know.

EDIT: Removing all Traces of Custom Rom is the same that installing Original ROM and for me it's impossible (Update Failed)

In the step 5 I've seen If your phone "Fails to Update" Please refer to the FAQ [here]

Question: When I try updating to 2.1 It keeps displaying "Update Failed"

Answer: Are you sure you have a U8220 Pulse? Check under the battery cover.

Under my battery cover appears:

U8220

Mac: xxxxxxxxxxx

IMEI: xxxxxxxxxxxx

S/N: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

FCC ID: QISU8220-6

Have I one U8220-6?

What benefits has a greater /system?

I need Link2SD because I don't have space to install more apps.

For me the best ROM is Onyx (by Twrock) but I want to use the last kernel by desalesouche.

As fastboot don't work for me, I have to flash the kernel with CWM and I don't know if it's good way.

Another problem I have (I've remebered) is my Kubuntu can't detect the phone when I connect the usb.

And If I connect usb in Windows, the phone is detected like Ideos and I can't install the drivers.

Es por todo esto que he pensado hacer una limpieza total.

Any solutions about drivers?

Edited by jgilalonso

Guest desalesouche

may be you have u8230 and not u8220? http://www.gsmarena...._u8230-3191.php

http://www.gsmarena....1&idPhone2=3144

more info http://en.wikipedia..../T-Mobile_Pulse

edit: i didn't read all your post so that is why these links... scatterbrain i am...

you said :Lately the phone start very slow and the wifi is horrible even changing the kernel. so may be my kernel is not in cause?

Edited by desalesouche

Guest jgilalonso

@Desalesouche.

No. My phone is a U8220...perhaps U8220-6. I'm not sure.

I think that your kernel is not the problem.

I'll try Time Machine :wacko:

@Pedro Jaime.

Piensas que si instalo el Time Machine y una ROM Oficial (UK, por ejemplo) tendré el /system más pequeño?

Edited by jgilalonso