Possible solution for low volume on ringtones

Guest JackRackham

Guest JackRackham

Ok guys, I think I got some working results to show off! :)

Please give some feedback!

SHORT VERSION

Edit your build.prop file and look for this string:

ro.config.ringtone_vol_adjust=true

If you have it, change "true" to "false" (without quotes), save the changes and reboot your phone.

If you don't have it, add

ro.config.ringtone_vol_adjust=false

save the changes and reboot your phone.

LONG VERSION

I'm on Huawei General Version B952, officially released from Huawei. No custom ROMs, no CWM repacks. But I think this will work on any ICS rom, official or custom.

If different builds behave differently about ringtones volumes on the same device, the issue must be software related.

So I downloaded CWM repacks of B936 (reported to have loud ringtones), B952 Vodafone and B960 Vodafone (also reported to have loud ringtones)

I went looking into the build.prop files and compared them with my B952 General Version and I found out that my version has some missing strings. The one that caught my attention was:

ro.config.ringtone_vol_adjust=true

I added this string to my build.prop file and changed "true" to "false" (without quotes!), did a reboot and that's it, louder volumes!!!

The difference is evident just by using your ears, but I did some recording tests (nothing too scientific, but still gave out evidence!)

The test was made by recording the same ringtones / alarms / notifications sounds with both true and false options, with the phone speaker placed 5 cm from a microphone using Audacity. In every screenshot you will find both Waveform and Spectrogram views.

The volume gain seems more evident when using a ringtone, but something also happens to alarms and notifications.

Please, try this one and let me what you think about it!

These are my results:

RINGTONE

ringtonecomparison.th.png

NOTIFICATION

notificationcomparison.th.png

ALARM

alarmcomparison.th.png

--

JackRackham

Guest bladebuddy
B960 Stock plus it stopped the phone working

That's strange it works on stock B960 and not on a custom rom based on B960. That's a shame as I was looking forward to trying out stock + , my only problem was the low volume of the ringtones on B960.

Guest Combat Gerbil

Can't see a reason why it would not work on 960+ as it should have the same buildprop...unless there's something in there from Cyda that it clashes with.. But I can't see what would effect that line..

Guest Andymac1969

Can't see a reason why it would not work on 960+ as it should have the same buildprop...unless there's something in there from Cyda that it clashes with.. But I can't see what would effect that line..

I was getting messages that the settings had stopped working when I tried to adjust the volumes on the phone

Guest JackRackham

Stock Plus B960 has been "recalled" by Cyda because of some weird bugs in the repack (performance issues as well as software not working), maybe you should flash another rom until the fixed version comes out!

I've reproduced the problem myself and the rom is clearly not performing how it should. I've pulled the link for now to save wasting anyones time until I can work out where the bug is.

--

JackRackham

Guest Combat Gerbil

Strange.. works perfectly on stock B960.. saying that, B960+ is broken at the moment and we're waiting for a re-up from Cyda.. I'll try that when he's fixed it.

Yeah.. what JackRackham said..

Edited by Combat Gerbil

Guest Andymac1969

Strange.. works perfectly on stock B960.. saying that, B960+ is broken at the moment and we're waiting for a re-up from Cyda.. I'll try that when he's fixed it.

Yeah.. what JackRackham said..

I tried it again just to be sure and it DOES break the phone

Andrew

Guest bladebuddy

V 6 super charger , writes into the build prop this might be the problem , but I wouldn't of thought it would effect that line.

Obviously something does.

• 1 month later...
Guest emiliocoresi

Hi Jack,

Could you please tell me where did you find the build.prop file?

I am trying to fix the volume issue I have on my Huawei G300 but I could not find this file.

I made all the updates online,this morning I update to B952 Vodafone but there is no file build.

Please answer to my question as I lose a lots of phone calls due to the low volume.

Thank you

I am also on [email protected]

Guest Combat Gerbil

You need to have root access on your phone, and an root explorer such as ES File explorer, the build.prop file is in the system folder.

• 2 months later...
Guest JackRackham

how can i do it from true to false pls

Hi Keith, the answer to your question is in the post before yours:

You need to have root access on your phone, and an root explorer such as ES File explorer, the build.prop file is in the system folder.

So, first thing you have to root your phone, there are like a thousand tutorials on this forum about that...

Then you need to install a file manager that can take advantage of the root permits... ES File Explorer is one, I personally use Total Commander (both free and available on Play Store)

Then you have to use said file manager to EDIT the build.prop file (wich is just a plain txt file)... This file is located in the \system\ folder

Once you have added your string, you save your file and then reboot your phone.

If you feel that this still doesn't answer your question, probably you're not skilled enough to perform the operation... If so, you have two options: 1) study or 2) ask a skilled friend to physically perform the operation...

Take care!

--

JackRackham

Guest CoSmEeN

I got a little problem. So here's what I did untill now:

-got ES File Explorer

-went to /system folder

-found build.prop file and opened it

-found the string

-replaced "true" with "false"

-when I try to exit the file it says: "Do you want to save build.prop?" and I click "Yes"

-it says "Error ocurred when trying to save the file. It will not be saved." with only 1 button, "OK"

What am I doing wrong? :|

Guest keith76

Hi Keith, the answer to your question is in the post before yours:

So, first thing you have to root your phone, there are like a thousand tutorials on this forum about that...

Then you need to install a file manager that can take advantage of the root permits... ES File Explorer is one, I personally use Total Commander (both free and available on Play Store)

Then you have to use said file manager to EDIT the build.prop file (wich is just a plain txt file)... This file is located in the \system\ folder

Once you have added your string, you save your file and then reboot your phone.

If you feel that this still doesn't answer your question, probably you're not skilled enough to perform the operation... If so, you have two options: 1) study or 2) ask a skilled friend to physically perform the operation...

Take care!

--

JackRackham

Guest CoSmEeN

And what was that quote supposed to mean? I am doing exactly like JackRackham said, but it just won't let me save the file and i don't know why.

Guest wbrambley
And what was that quote supposed to mean? I am doing exactly like JackRackham said, but it just won't let me save the file and i don't know why.

In esfile explorer push menu key, look for root settings and mount /system r/w. That will let you edit or save files in the system partition.