Newbie with g300 problem

Guest terrier

Guest terrier

Hi All, I've been sitting on the sidelines of this forum for a few weeks now after getting myself a modded G300 from a guy on ebay. Trying to digest all the info on here but it's all a bit above me at the minute. My G300 came unlocked, rooted and with the Cyanogen mod already installed and running Jelly Bean. The phone has been working great. I love it. I've already installed a few apps that I wanted and have also downloaded some updates from CM and everything worked ok. However, today, after a notification that new updates were ready for CM I downloaded and installed the updates and now the phone is stuck on the Cyanogen opening screen and wont go any further. The phone wont switch off so the only way I can stop it is to remove the battery. I have left it standing for a while and refitted the battery but it keeps doing the same thing. Have I done something wrong while installing the updates ? I'm really annoyed at this. I love using the phone. I wish I hadn't installed the updates now, it was working ok before. Would appreciate any suggestions on how to get the phone back up and running again, hopefully not too technical as I'm just learning all about this. Thanks.

Guest nsmacd1

The over the air update(s) for CM did this to my phone too - The best thing to do in my opinion is to download the updated ROM from the forum main page and then reinstall it by using ClockworkMod (If you have it already installed) - To do this reboot your phone & when it is powering up hold down the Volume up key - This should enter you in to CWM.

Once in CWM, I would follow the instruction in most of the ROM Download pages and perform full wipes and then install the ROM 'From Zip File'.

Hope this helps!

PS - The Cyanogen JB ROMs are normally the top links in the forum here - http://www.modaco.co...-g300modacocom/ and there is also a link to Huawei Official ROMS and other custom ROMs if you wanted to flash ICS

Also here is how to do full wipes in CWM before flashing a ROM (It's an old version of CWM but the steps are pretty much the same) -

(Not my video!)

How to install ROMs for dummies! -

Edited by nsmacd1

Yeah you can mount your SD card in Clockwork Recovery by selecting 'Mounts and Storage- > Mount SD Card. This will let you copy a CM ROM from your PC to your SD Card. You can then flash it from Clockwork Recovery.

Guest bladebuddy
Thanks for the quick reply and advice. I'm assuming I'll need to connect the phone to my pc via usb cable to do this. All this stuff is way above my head !

You can also download a rom straight to you're phone then use a file manager to move it to the root of you're sd card then flash through CWM as above.

Guest sashko69

Or use a memory card reader if you have one. CyanogenMod OTA updates works only with compatible CWM recovery, so the best thing for the future use would be to flash CWM 6.0.2.7, you can find it here:

Guest terrier

Well, thanks to all who replied to my post and gave some great advice I now have my phone up and running again. I've had to start afresh and put all my info back in and I'll have to reinstall the apps that I had before but it's great just to have it working again. However, I do have a problem since getting it working again. When I switch the camera on it comes on for a few seconds and a dialogue box comes up saying "Unfortunately, Gallery has stopped" the camera goes off and I have to touch the OK button to remove the dialogue box. So, basically, I can't get the camera to work. Not sure if I've something wrong or not. Just wondering if anyone has heard of this happening before and if there's a fix for this. Thanks once again.

Den

Guest terrier

Hi, thanks for replying. It shows as 10-20130121-EXPERIMENTAL-u8815-R5 if this means anything to you. Been looking at other camera apps in Play store. Just wondering if trying another camera app would work better. Cheers.

Den

Guest ChrisPNE

You can also download a rom straight to you're phone then use a file manager to move it to the root of you're sd card then flash through CWM as above.

Difficult if his phone wasn't booting properly.

Guest terrier

Why don't you install CM10.1 R2? You must be on CM10, not CM10.1 :o

If I install CM10.1 R2 will this fix the camera problem ? I've already tried to download and install three free camera apps from Play store but they wont work at all, so will the problem be with the Cyanogenmod or something else. I'm really at a loss with this problem.

Den

Guest terrier

UPDATE............I've managed to install CM10.1 R2 from an OTA update. The camera is now working but the Gmail app and the Play store app wont work and I've lost my contacts list. In "About Phone" it now shows up as Jelly Bean 4.2.2. It was 4.2.1 before. Don't know what to do next !!

Guest george109

UPDATE............I've managed to install CM10.1 R2 from an OTA update. The camera is now working but the Gmail app and the Play store app wont work and I've lost my contacts list. In "About Phone" it now shows up as Jelly Bean 4.2.2. It was 4.2.1 before. Don't know what to do next !!

To fix the play store, try going into

(home button) -> Options button (the left hand one) -> Manage Apps -> at the top scroll along to all -> click clear cache -> (wait) -> go to the google play store, and click on it -> click force stop, clear data and uninstall/reset button! Do'nt worry, it will just reset the play store to the original version and then you can go into the play store and update it

Are there any error codes at all on the play store? (e.g error 320 or RH-10) (I just made those up, they are probably not real error codes!)

For any of the apps do you get error codes?

Guest nsmacd1

Personally I have found that the OTA updates cause problems and the phone never works properly, so I generally tend to download the ROM and perform all the wipes before re-flashing it.

Firstly I would try and re-flash the GAPPS file in CWM - http://goo.im/gapps/...1212-signed.zip to make sure you have the right version and see if this solves the issues.

This version (for 4.2.2) is dated 12-12-12, whereas the original CM10.0 (4.1.2) is dated 11-10-12

Edited by nsmacd1

You should always do full wipes, I know the OTA option is there, but it doesn't mean you need to use it :lol:

Also, did you flash the jellybean compatible Google apps (GAPPS) over the installation? It means you wipe, flash the ROM, and then flash gapps without wipes in between. You can find the latest 12/12/2012 gapps on the CM10.1 opening post.

Guest terrier

Well, thanks to all you helpful guys on here I think I now have my G300 working ok again. I've downloaded CM10.1 and the latest gapps, done full wipes and flashed everything back in and all is working ok now. I see that some people are having various problems with some features on CM10.1 but mine appears to be all working fine. The only thing I'm not keen about is the camera. It takes good photos but each shot takes several seconds to process before you can take another shot. Will have to see how it goes for a while but might change to another camera app if it's better than this. Any suggestions on this would be most appreciated. Thanks again.

Den