[DEV][ROM][21.5.] Firefox OS - B2G

Guest KonstaT

Guest KonstaT

If i don't enter the pin right after boot, only after first locksreen, it works perfect, if i enter, there is no signal, and can't fint any operators.

I still don't get it. PIN query happens always after the lockscreen. You mean the PIN query on the very first boot when initial device setup is done?

There is an overall lag everywhere,and only home button work

Already asked and answered. Search for a picture of a Firefox OS phone and see how many hardware buttons they have. ;) Your statement is also bullshit because power and volume buttons work just fine as well. :P

Why the last update of Firefox OS wont boot... Only black screen...

Most likely because you don't know how to read or can't follow simple instructions...

I still don't get it. PIN query happens always after the lockscreen. You mean the PIN query on the very first boot when initial device setup is done?

Yep, i meant that. Sorry for misleading. So everything works fine.

Guest aleksandar069

Already asked and answered. Search for a picture of a Firefox OS phone and see how many hardware buttons they have. ;) Your statement is also bullshit because power and volume buttons work just fine as well. :P

Most likely because you don't know how to read or can't follow simple instructions...

Tnx KonstaT... now work perffect.... for me RIL is working fine

Guest plantroon

KonstaT, I was just curious, what caused those random reboots ? :D This phone is finally a good device now (with a solid OS with only very few android parts) :D

Guest johny_pg1

not really, he helped me out twice even though _he_didn't_have_to_. responding to everyone's (oftentimes vaguely worded) problems is a royal pain. been there myself. : p

Ok,fine I apologise

Guest plantroon

I've been using this ROM for over a week now. It feels unfinished, some webpages won't even open, I can't watch youtube videos (in the previous build youtube worked). Also that scaling should be improved and I miss Silent Mode (so that the phone doesn't make noise on finding a new wifi or when receiving a phone call/sms.. I gotta have airplane mode enabled instead).

Other than that this OS is quite good :) Basically I haven't had any serious problems so far, I haven't charged the battery since Friday and it's still at 20% and I don't ever turn of wifi. It's reliable, unlike Android there are no reboots because of a crashing application or any random reboots... it's the most reliable OS this phone's ever got. (just as stable as a fresh CM 10 or the stock ROM)

Good work KonstaT :)) btw, is there any advantage that ZTE Open has the same SoC (afaik) ?

Guest KonstaT

KonstaT, I was just curious, what caused those random reboots ? :D This phone is finally a good device now (with a solid OS with only very few android parts) :D

Missing /system/bin/rmt_storage. I even know it causes exactly that and I still have it always initially missing in everything. :P

I've been using this ROM for over a week now. It feels unfinished, some webpages won't even open, I can't watch youtube videos (in the previous build youtube worked). Also that scaling should be improved and I miss Silent Mode (so that the phone doesn't make noise on finding a new wifi or when receiving a phone call/sms.. I gotta have airplane mode enabled instead).

Other than that this OS is quite good :) Basically I haven't had any serious problems so far, I haven't charged the battery since Friday and it's still at 20% and I don't ever turn of wifi. It's reliable, unlike Android there are no reboots because of a crashing application or any random reboots... it's the most reliable OS this phone's ever got. (just as stable as a fresh CM 10 or the stock ROM)

Good work KonstaT :)) btw, is there any advantage that ZTE Open has the same SoC (afaik) ?

Yeah, I noticed the youtube thing as well. It's again fine in build I did a while back. Firefox OS still heavily under development and I've built it from master branch. Things tend to get broken.

Having the same chipset as every official Firefox OS just makes it easier to port it on to this device. Unfortunately none of the official devices even has a hdpi screen so it looks a bit off in ours.

I hope you'll keep working on this rom konstat bc it'd be really nice to have another OS on our phone. 

Not much for me to do. Afaik everything that should work, already does - besides FM radio of course but I have no idea if it's an upstream Firefox OS issue or something else.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest plantroon

zte blade working ?

Unfortunately no :( ARMv7 only ... but it would be awesome to have this on the old Blade because this OS does not require much performance to be fast. ARMv6 should have died long ago - nobody will support that :(

• 4 months later...
Guest KonstaT

Could someone post a working link for the latest version of this rom? Earlier links doesn't work :c

Err, there's a working link in the first post.

Guest KonstaT

Any idea of how compatible our device is with the ZTE Open ?

I'm not sure what you mean. Compatible how? ROMs are not interchangeable but not too difficult to port either.

will there be a 1.4 release anytime soon?

What's new in 1.4? I'd be actually more interested if they finally switched to more recent Android version as a base. I already did a KitKat based Firefox OS build for Moto G a while back but I haven't even bothered to flash it to my device because I know it's going to be very broken because of the hacks I had to make.

Guest plantroon

ZTE Open has very similar HW specs (almost the same) as our device ... that's what I meant by "compatibility" ... Just saying that shouldn't it be easy to make a fully working port (with zero critical bugs) once this OS is released?

(idk what those folks are waiting for, the development of all this opensource pieces of [] is really slow and higher resolution/screen size support would be appreciated)

Guest KonstaT

ZTE Open has very similar HW specs (almost the same) as our device ... that's what I meant by "compatibility" ... Just saying that shouldn't it be easy to make a fully working port (with zero critical bugs) once this OS is released?

(idk what those folks are waiting for, the development of all this opensource pieces of [] is really slow and higher resolution/screen size support would be appreciated)

No, I still don't understand. What OS released and where? Port what from where?

I did port the retail version from ZTE Open (quite easily I may add) and that gave me the idea to base my build on ZTE Open developer sources. All I can say is what you currently have here is superior in every way compared to ZTE Open official firmware (e.g. B2G 1.3 vs 1.1) and there's already zero critical bugs (well, besides the FM radio freezing the device).

Guest plantroon

This OS (Firefox OS) released by Mozilla or whatever their name is xD .... ZTE Open has 1.3 too, doesn't it ?

Btw, I gotta say that I've been using this OS for quite a while now and it really is an amazing web browsing experience with no problems other than non-important firefox os bugs (I had 1 soft reboot but I beleive that I broke something inside my Blade 3 when I smashed it to the ground when android pissed me off) ...

This is the future of ARMv7 low end devices (Blade 3, Huawei Ascend G300, Sony Xperia Tipo and others) since it runs better and more reliably than android xD

Guest KonstaT

This OS (Firefox OS) released by Mozilla or whatever their name is xD .... ZTE Open has 1.3 too, doesn't it ?

Latest stock firmware seems to be 1.2 tagged as beta and it was released this january (I was only aware of the 1.1 firmware I ported).

It's a developer phone so you can of course build 1.3 (or 1.4 or whatever is the latest) from source.

This is the future of ARMv7 low end devices (Blade 3, Huawei Ascend G300, Sony Xperia Tipo and others) since it runs better and more reliably than android xD

I couldn't disagree more. There no future for Firefox OS in current low end devices. I don't see Firefox OS selling devices in current budget segment either unless they come up with a new segment of their own (like the 25$ Firefox OS device that was announced in MWC2014). There's already sub-100$ Android devices and prices on Android devices are only going to go down.

As you can see here yourself, Android runs much better than B2G on the same hardware. Firefox OS running 'better and more reliably than Android' is complete bullshit as it is nothing but a web compositor running on top of Android hardware adaptation. Running HTML5 webapps just isn't very optimal (roughly 5-7 times slower than running native code when dalvik emulation is 'only' twice as slow).

Guest plantroon

Slower ? Nothing can ever be slower than Android (maybe Win Vista but that's another story, off topic here XD)

Android and Dalvik are both bullshit, so is the way it works and that it's based on java - yet it doesn't provide any viable cross platform support :( When I seen a really good looking graphically intensive game running on android, I imagined how it would run on pure Linux on that device

• 4 weeks later...
Guest KonstaT
New build. RIL seems quite shady in this one. It asks SIM PIN quite randomly or sometimes not at all. Receiving calls and SMS seems to work once you're in even though it complains that SIM is locked. Or this could all be just because of the old prepaid SIM I have on my device at the moment... Everything else seems fine, even FM radio is fully working now.

b2g-20140405-atlas40.zip
md5:ce2b4f4340819eb77e0d778917c81002

-Boot2Gecko 1.5
-production build (userdebug, no test apps etc)