Huawei G300 Stockrom or custom rom

Guest kido44

Guest kido44

Hi I'm new to android & have just bought a g300.

I want to update the rom from gingerbread to either ice cream sandwich or jelly bean but don't know which rom to install.

I want the screen to be as responsive as possible and it to be quick especially when Internet browsing.

Which is the best way to update the rom? A stock rom or custom rom?

What's the main difference.

Thank you

Guest dalyer

I want to update the rom from gingerbread to either ice cream sandwich or jelly bean but don't know which rom to install.

If you want to get off GB then you probably need to do the stock ICS update OTA to get the 2030 baseband. Although there now seem to be some post GB ROMs that can operator on the 109808 baseband which is a recent development...

Which is the best way to update the rom? A stock rom or custom rom?

This question seems to get asked about once a week. There is no "best" ROM. Different people have different preferences, requirements, priorities. Best to read up about the different ROMs available and maybe try one or two and see which you prefer and which suits your specific needs.

Be aware that there is a suspicion that unlocking the bootloader MAY cause some phones to experience the sporadic 3G reboot problem. However there is no authoritative info on this so far as far as I can see.

Edited by dalyer

Guest kido44

Hi dalyer

I didn't mean best rom sorry I meant most stable way.

i.e. isn't a stock rom update a official approved update where as a custom rom is a developers rom?

So what I mean is can I get the best responsiveness and speed by updating to ice cream sandwich using a official stock rom?

Or am I getting confused?

Guest TangerineTractor

Logically, you're going to go to At least ICS.

There are two distinct ways of doing this - there are a wide range of stock-based roms, and there are the Cyanogen Mod (CM) roms, which are built from scratch. The CM ones tend to have more "issues" but many people are prepared to put up with or work around them.

Stock-based ones are generally the stock rom with a few tweaks here and there - performance tweaks improve speed, responsiveness and reliability, other tweaks are more about the interface and add-ons, and are personal preference. Best thing to do is to read the threads, see the changelogs for each rom, and see what issues people are reporting. The Stock ICS is relatively mature now, so the newer ROMS based on B952 or B960 have been evolved to include all the tweaks and enhancements, and are very stable in general use.

Bear in mind that there are a lot of people on here for whom English is not their first language, and so do not always understand instructions or advice, and there are also people from other countries!

Whatever route you take, don;t take any short cuts. Install the CWM recovery, then back up rour existing settings so you can always go back to it. Then flash a rom of your choice. If you like it, back it up and try another. Eventually, you'll get one that your happy with (a "daily driver"), and then inevitably a new rom will be released about three days later and you'll start all over again.

Edited by TangerineTractor

Guest TangerineTractor

If you really need a stable ROM, stick with GB. Its the fastest, and would meet your needs seeing you are new to android.

Totally disagree. New ICS roms like StockPlus are faster than Gingerbread, far more functional, smoother and responsive. That's just my opinion, and we're all entitled to one. I cannot understand why anyone would recommend staying on GB on a G400.

to be honest these stock roms have come a long way from being sketchy, i had the same idea as you before but now i would say stick with ics stock rom much better than gb. I am using stock+ from cyda, great rom until something better comes along...

Guest kyan31

Totally disagree. New ICS roms like StockPlus are faster than Gingerbread, far more functional, smoother and responsive. That's just my opinion, and we're all entitled to one. I cannot understand why anyone would recommend staying on GB on a G400.

That's actually not true. Even me, I would never think about going back to GB, I love jellybean, but I can admit GB is so much more responsive and fast. I know this as my friend also has a G300, but he is running stock GB from out of the box, non rooted or anything like that. I have compared both his and my phone together, and his phone usually had much better speed, especially with another launcher. I can't even play temple run 2 on my device, but with GB he can play it perfectly.

If you need something done, it just happens. ICS and JB are guaranteed to give you slow downs at least once. While the newer ROMs are very functional, GB is faster and it gets the job done.

So overall, if you are a newbie, you want a fast, lag free, random reboot free, straight-to-the-point ROM, GB is the on for you. If your like me and others on the forum who enjoy hacking and modding, and are happy to have the latest software even if it means a slow device, get ICS or JB.

Actually to be honest, JB is very smooth but has less than average battery, so I guess JB might be suitable too if you don't mind charging 4 times a day :P

Hopefully this will help someone out, though I sure someone will protest against this :lol:

Edited by kyan31

Guest dalyer
This question seems to get asked about once a week. There is no "best" ROM. Different people have different preferences, requirements, priorities.

Told you so. See above! :D

Guest Pain_Deluxe

That's actually not true. Even me, I would never think about going back to GB, I love jellybean, but I can admit GB is so much more responsive and fast. I know this as my friend also has a G300, but he is running stock GB from out of the box, non rooted or anything like that. I have compared both his and my phone together, and his phone usually had much better speed, especially with another launcher. I can't even play temple run 2 on my device, but with GB he can play it perfectly.

If you need something done, it just happens. ICS and JB are guaranteed to give you slow downs at least once. While the newer ROMs are very functional, GB is faster and it gets the job done.

So overall, if you are a newbie, you want a fast, lag free, random reboot free, straight-to-the-point ROM, GB is the on for you. If your like me and others on the forum who enjoy hacking and modding, and are happy to have the latest software even if it means a slow device, get ICS or JB.

Actually to be honest, JB is very smooth but has less than average battery, so I guess JB might be suitable too if you don't mind charging 4 times a day :P

Hopefully this will help someone out, though I sure someone will protest against this :lol:

+100

thats why i went back to GB Atomic Mod

Guest kido44

Thanks for all your advice.

If GB is as good as it gets for the g300 I won't be keeping the phone for long.

After coming from a iphone4 I've found it to be laggy, quite slow & has poor battery life. My iphone 4 has a 800ghz chip and the hauwei has a 1ghz so it should be faster.

When my sd card comes ill root and flash jelly bean and hopefully it will be faster and less laggy & have better battery life.

Guest dalyer

My iphone 4 has a 800ghz chip

:blink: :D

and the hauwei has a 1ghz so it should be faster.

No. iPhone A4 (Cortex-A8 + PowerVR SGX GPU) > G300 Qualcomm MSM7227A Snapdragon (Cortex-A5 + Adreno 200 GPU) regardless of clock speed...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_A4

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snapdragon_%28system_on_chip%29#Snapdragon_S1

Edited by dalyer

Guest kyan31

Thanks for all your advice.

If GB is as good as it gets for the g300 I won't be keeping the phone for long.

After coming from a iphone4 I've found it to be laggy, quite slow & has poor battery life. My iphone 4 has a 800ghz chip and the hauwei has a 1ghz so it should be faster.

When my sd card comes ill root and flash jelly bean and hopefully it will be faster and less laggy & have better battery life.

Just because your CPU has a higher clock speed, it doesn't 'necessarily' mean the phone will be faster. Android is a power hungry OS, even quad core devices experience lag. IOS is a lot less power hungry, that's why the most graphic demanding games can usually play excellently on the iphone's dual core, or single core architecture. However, IOS lacks the usability of android, and it's flexibility too.

Android FTW.

Guest Rico_89

IMO, ICS is the way forward. From there you can make back ups and quickly and easily install other roms to try out. And for me the G300 runs smoother under ICS than it did running GB. Also the ICS stock camera is the best camera for this phone and is really quite good for videos and stills, however at night I think Camera 360 takes better pics.

Guest dalyer

IMO, ICS is the way forward. From there you can make back ups and quickly and easily install other roms to try out.

Not voting for GB over ICS or JB or anything having GB doesn't preclude you from making backups with an appropriate CWM or TWRP...