Ask MoDaCo: the HTC One

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

How's good is the audio output quality through the headphones jack?

Can you try playing a song like Hotel California or Time (Pink Floyd)?

Just played Hotel California on the One using my UE Triple Fis. By default 'Beats enhancement' is on, it actually doesn't sound like crap for once... I can't decide whether it sounds better with it on or off though.

I'm not sure if it has the same amplifier as on the 8X (when I used that the sound was fantastic), but it does sound very good. I can crank it up to max volume with no significant distortion (my ears might be broken though).

One of my test tracks is 'Changed the way you kiss me' by Example, purely because when the bass cuts in at 53 seconds it causes most devices to have some sort of fit. The One performs admirably... :)

P

Guest PaulOBrien

Yeah, Real world..... screen use/phone use snaps that are sharp and not blurry. i'd be happy with that. I can see the benefits of Zoe already, like you, kids move to damn fast to get the right shot. ;)

I was trying to make the point that people expect perfect shots with their phone's in conditions that you'd struggle to get with a dSLR and a f1.8 lens. Expectations really need to be lowered.

Artificially under-priced, yes. But that's the realism of where we are and it will no doubt be the same if Google release the "X" phone or the next Nexus. Google have changed the pricing landscape with all Nexus devices and against the HTC One, I really don't think I can justify almost double the price for no way twice the phone. (in my opinion)

Its nothing against HTC and their hardware/device, it will be the same with the Galaxy S4, no doubt another £500 phone as well as the Xperia Z.

Maybe I just need to stop being a tight-ass. ;)

Remember a lot of (most) people will be buying on contract...

P

Guest le_lutin

Does it have the best camera you have ever used on a smartphone (not counting that nokia 404 thing)?

If it does (or if it even comes close), how can the verge list the camera as one of the negative points?

Guest PaulOBrien

Does it have the best camera you have ever used on a smartphone (not count that nokia 404 thing)?

If it does (or if it even comes close), how can the verge list the camera as one of the negative points?

I'll let you know when i've taken more pics! :)

P

Guest Trekest

Just played Hotel California on the One using my UE Triple Fis. By default 'Beats enhancement' is on, it actually doesn't sound like crap for once... I can't decide whether it sounds better with it on or off though.

I'm not sure if it has the same amplifier as on the 8X (when I used that the sound was fantastic), but it does sound very good. I can crank it up to max volume with no significant distortion (my ears might be broken though).

One of my test tracks is 'Changed the way you kiss me' by Example, purely because when the bass cuts in at 53 seconds it causes most devices to have some sort of fit. The One performs admirably... :)

P

Sounds promising! (no pun inteded)

This is one of the main subjects that matter to me on a smartphone, nice to know the One has it covered.

Guest PaulOBrien

Sounds promising! (no pun inteded)

This is one of the main subjects that matter to me on a smartphone, nice to know the One has it covered.

I'll try and compare it to the X+ and Xperia Z before giving a definitive opinion! :)

P

Guest TechsavvyJaz

The all aluminum body is "supposed" to cause network reception issues, have you experienced anything like that?

What is the total available memory to the user? thing to consider as there is no way we can expand the memory.

USB OTG?

Guest PaulOBrien

Does it have a slot for a micro SD card?

No, although with capacities of 32GB or 64GB this is probably less of an issue compared to the Nexus 4...

P

Guest PaulOBrien

The all aluminum body is "supposed" to cause network reception issues, have you experienced anything like that?

What is the total available memory to the user? thing to consider as there is no way we can expand the memory.

USB OTG?

Reception seems BETTER than the plastic bodied Butterfly!

I'll reset the device and check storage available later on... i've installed a bunch of stuff now!

P

Guest Arival

I don't really miss it from a multi tasking perspective - double pressing the home button is fine. I do miss the ability to turn it into the menu button though. :(

I actually feel more relief moving to a more mangeable size than sadness at losing the screen size. :)

P

Cheers Paul!

Guest Nazgulled

It can be disabled by installing a third party launcher... it'll always be on the side-screen in the HTC Launcher. But, you'll never come across it unless you sweep to it if you're in that mode.

But then I would lose the HTC widgets... :(

I do miss the ability to turn it into the menu button though. :(

How is the menu button implemented then? Back to that horrible black bottom bar with a single touch button?

Guest PaulOBrien
But then I would lose the HTC widgets... :(

Indeed! I think the stock launcher (with blinkfeed) is really good though.

How is the menu button implemented then? Back to that horrible black bottom bar with a single touch button?

YES! Sadly. :(

Thankfully the majority of apps are updated now, but I really wish I could map it to a button.

P

Guest Apa1102

YES! Sadly. :(

Thankfully the majority of apps are updated now, but I really wish I could map it to a button.

at version 1.26.709.x. You can set long press back key as menu.

Hey Paul, can the HTC One natively playback 1080p x264 video (high profile 4.1) in either mkv or m2ts containers in the stock video app? How about avi and wmv?

Normally use Archos for its enhanced meta data support, but it's nice to know things work without codecs. My GS3 will play the lot straight out of the box, even at 20mbs+ 1080p bitrates.

Thanks

Guest PaulOBrien

Can you use your own music on these Zoes (30 sec compilation vids/pics) or do you have to use the ones provided?

You can only use the provided themes (including music).

P

Guest PaulOBrien

Hey Paul, can the HTC One natively playback 1080p x264 video (high profile 4.1) in either mkv or m2ts containers in the stock video app? How about avi and wmv?

Normally use Archos for its enhanced meta data support, but it's nice to know things work without codecs. My GS3 will play the lot straight out of the box, even at 20mbs+ 1080p bitrates.

Thanks

I use Archos Video too, i'll dig out some video and have a try!

P