Problem with Grand X Whistle

Guest opazoadrian

Guest sam tyler

mine did come from Orange,but as i had a new new usb port put in,i think the warranty will be void. if you go on some of the forums for virgin phones etc,there are loads of bricked grand x`s out there.some people had 2 or even 3 phones replaced.in the forums ZTE say contact the phone company you got the phone from,so that means they washed the hands of the phone.i see on 4PDA site that people are reporting bricked phones there as well,i think this phone shouldn't have left the factory.

Guest jaz1-_

the virgin forum reviews i read before seemed funny. how can a phone have so many problems? i think they might be writing them on purpose but the phone isnt as bad as some of the reviews say it is. the usb port is flimsy, the screen feels rubbery and looks dull and bad battery life + no more support but thats about it. and the recovery issue. i could have got a nexus 4 before for a little bit more if i had known about it but for the price i cant complain i get over 2700 in quadrant and it beats phones like the atrix 4g and galaxy nexus so im fine with it.

Guest rosco-85

the virgin forum reviews i read before seemed funny. how can a phone have so many problems? i think they might be writing them on purpose but the phone isnt as bad as some of the reviews say it is. the usb port is flimsy, the screen feels rubbery and looks dull and bad battery life + no more support but thats about it. and the recovery issue. i could have got a nexus 4 before for a little bit more if i had known about it but for the price i cant complain i get over 2700 in quadrant and it beats phones like the atrix 4g and galaxy nexus so im fine with it.

Considering the price you can pick them up for now, you still can't do much better for the money. I bought mine last year for £115. Absolute bargain. You could probably get a near new one for under a hundred now. Only thing that annoys me is the false promise of Jelly Bean!

I've had less problems with this than my previous phone the Huawei G300.

Any of you guys know how to stop the phone randomly resetting your ringtones and alarms back to default without having to use a root exploer to put them in the system folder?

Edited by rosco-85

Guest jaz1-_

No sorry you could try a reset and then flash a new rom after such as kgdma's or StarscreamMOD. I bought this for £200 from Virgin and then I had to pay for a case, screen protectors and a new micro usb port which totals to £235(nexus 4). Overall I'm happy with it and even my friends are impressed by it especially when I use the hot spot function and get crazy speeds of 11mbps!

Guest jaz1-_

They are drivers for mtk phones but idk if they work so I use grand x ones. The root tool is bin4rys root program for ics and jelly bean and works with nearly every phone and tablet. ZTE tools is u970 tools which installs Cwm and roots. For rooting I find bin4rys program is better because I've got boot loops with u970 tools before.

Guest rosco-85

They are drivers for mtk phones but idk if they work so I use grand x ones. The root tool is bin4rys root program for ics and jelly bean and works with nearly every phone and tablet. ZTE tools is u970 tools which installs Cwm and roots. For rooting I find bin4rys program is better because I've got boot loops with u970 tools before.

I think they might actually be the same Driver. It's maybe just a generic ZTE USB Driver. I was following another user's post on here to get my phone unbricked and that's what he used. The links to Grand X Tools and Rooting can be found on the other Modaco forums for the Grand X.

Guest jaz1-_

Yeah i use bin4ry for root and grand x tools for cwm. I hope someone develops jelly bean for this phone soon it will be so smooth then :(

Guest rosco-85

Yeah i use bin4ry for root and grand x tools for cwm. I hope someone develops jelly bean for this phone soon it will be so smooth then :(

Cant see it it happening TBH. There's been no new official firmware since Nov last year. I'd say ZTE have washed their hand of it now and are focusing on newer handsets. Shame really, as it's a good phone, just needs the right software.

Guest jaz1-_

Yeah your right. Whenever I get my next phone its going to be some hint popular like a nexus or a galaxy. I I really wanted project butter :(

Guest jaz1-_

cant everyones imei is different and probably wont work but you can ask sam tyler because his phone is bricked and maybe he can give you the .img and you can flash it in 5irom

Guest sam tyler

no thanks you NEVER give your imei no. to anyone. if he bought it through a phone shop let them fix it but if the phone works they will ask questions. why didn't he back up his imei no. via 5rom tools? i made a copy of mine to my comp (before the phone died) if flashing ROMs for the first time you do this. I did this for my racer,blade and grand x . its the risk you take when you hack your phone...

Edited by sam tyler

• 1 month later...
Guest sam tyler

for those MD5 miss-match problems in recovery,i think i have find answer. download root explorer from play store.go into the sd card file,select the clockworkmod file.go in to your back up(s) select one and you will see no nandroid.md5 file. all you do is make a new folder,and name it nandroid.md5 and thats it.go into recovery select the backup you have made the the new file and press restore.(make sure you wipe cache etc )and hopefully you will have restored your back up!! yes i got given another grand x and just in case any future backups check in root explorer to see if the md5 file has been created.but still i see no cm10/jellybean ROM for this phone yet!!