Over-write bootloader key?

Guest glossywhite

Guest glossywhite

Hello my good folks.

I just wanted to ask... how, if at all, would it be possible to *over-write* and change the bootloader public key? Excuse my lack of the proper terminology here; I am not an encryption expert by any means, I'd just like to understand, if someone could explain, exactly how this process works in the OSD, and what mechanisms are used.

So, someone with more knowledge than me (not hard at this stage :P) and who is good at explaining clearly, would you be so kind as to step up to the plate?

Guest glossywhite

I'd have replied but I barely understood the question :blink:

Really? Ok.

I think you guys are more au fait with this device, since you have hacked it and I have never had one (yet). My question is this: how does one over-write the area of (flash?) memory which contains the signing key, ergo, replacing it with a custom key?

Seeing as I am unaware of how this works, I am asking for someone with more knowledge of this aspect to explain the process, possibly with a diagram. I would be grateful if a clear and concise answer were given, and I admit I know nothing about it, but once I understand something, my learning curve increases exponentially.

So, anyone?

Thank you :)

Edited by glossywhite

Guest BlueMoonRising

I think perhaps you misunderstood my reply, perhaps I should have said :-

I'd have replied but I barely understood the question let alone know what the answer is...

Ricky would have been your man perhaps but due to fate(and poor reflexes in grabbing it) he broke his and has moved on :(

Guest glossywhite

I think perhaps you misunderstood my reply, perhaps I should have said :-

I'd have replied but I barely understood the question let alone know what the answer is...

Ricky would have been your man perhaps but due to fate(and poor reflexes in grabbing it) he broke his and has moved on :(

Ah!

Well I shall have one by Sat, so I'll be doing LOTS of hacking :)

Guest glossywhite

Sounds brilliant that we'll have a hacker on board, welcome to the club!

Thank you! :)

I managed to do a bit of NVRAM work with the Monte Carlo, so I hope with all my heart that I'll be able to do something on this... I hope! :D

Guest Internationale

Sounds like a great strategy - will be very interested to see how you progress. I would have thought it was possible to edit the memory where the bootloader key is stored, although I imagine there could be some kind of security that stops the code showing where in the memory the key is stored. Good luck!