[DEV][ROM] CyanogenMod 10.1 (Android 4.2.2) for ZTE V9

Guest PlaguedByPenguins

Guest naifah
new 2013-05-08 rom posted.

sorry for it being so soon after the last one, but it's a bit of a breakthrough so I wanted to get it out there.

changes I made to lowmemorykiller mean much better responsiveness and interactivity (more like cm7 IMHO edit: but still not quite), faster switching between apps, better choice of which apps are old and can be killed, ... overall it's the big step forward that I've been looking for.

if it's working as well as I think it is, then memory tweaks like zram, swap, ksm, minfree levels, hidden apps limits, etc. probably won't help all that much now. indeed, some of these tweaks may now slow things down or even make the device less reliable. if you experience instability then please first turn tweaks (and overclocking) off.

also I forgot to apply one patch in the previous 2013-05-07 rom, so wifi reconnection is slow again there. please update.

Good job bud,keep update..:D

Guest Kukumtu

Hi everyone,

I have downloaded the CM10.1 but when i was following the procudure on how to install it, i realized i had formated the sd card which had the rom inside. So i had to remove the battery to remove the sd card and load the rom in it afresh. Unluckily the device went off and now i cannot reboot it is stuck at the ZTE white screen logo. I have ADB which was working perfectly before this happened but now it tells me error device not found. I have killed server and started it again but still the Adb devices command displays nothing. The volume keys once i have entered the recovery mode are also not responding.

Please help me in whaterver way possible. Thanks

Edited by Kukumtu

Guest Kukumtu

this is a CyanogenMod 10.1 based ROM for ZTE V9 - the resistive screen model. it is based on KonstaT's http://www.modaco.co...01-android-422/ for ZTE Blade and all the same caveats apply here. please read all of KonstaT's first 3 posts before trying the below. In particular please note that this is not an official CyanogenMod rom and expect it to eat all your data and brick your v9. you have been warned. having said that, it works fine for me :)

cm-10.1-20130508-PenguinKANG-v9.zip

md5sum 349479c6fc5b8e98335a83b8ede1521a

see the KonstaT page for gapps.

NOTE:

- you will need >196MB in /system to flash this rom (my .au Optus v9 has 220MB), and initial boot will take ~5mins

- this ROM is for the resistive screen V9's. there are a couple of files in this rom that know about capacitive models, but they are completely untested

- in general cm10.1 is bigger and maybe a little bit slower than cm7 but it has more shiny features, so you pays yer money and takes yer choice.

Working

everything seems to work. specifically all those listed on KonstaT's page.

AFAICT the only thing that's regressed from cm7 on V9 is

- multi-touch (pinch to zoom) emulation from cm7 makes the default browser go crazy on cm10.1, so it's disabled

Issues

known issues specific to this ROM

- pre-surfaceflinger boot animation is wrong aspect and off centre

- ElectronBeam power-on animation doesn't work (power-off does)

known issues from upstream (AOSP or CM or KonstaT or ZTE or ...)

- AOSP keyboard gesture typing doesn't (won't ever?) work on armv6 devices

- the voice search app works but perhaps not in the way it's supposed to (something armv7-only again)

- no movie preview images

- bluetooth scanning works but is unreliable

- livewallpapers don't work

suggestions and patches are welcome for all the above issues!!

Bluetooth

ah, bluetooth. sigh. there goes a week of my life. so the best way to scan to find a new bt device is to turn on bt from the main Settings screen and wait until bt is on for a few seconds before going to the Bluetooth devices screen. if scanning doesn't start immediately on that screen then it has failed, so go back to Settings and turn off bt and try again. be patient. scanning works about 30%-50% of the time using this method. once paired, bluetooth devices are ok - it's only this initial scanning stuff that's dodgy.

Building

- all sources are on my github

- build instructions (see also KonstaT's 3rd post)

ChangeLog

2013-05-08 - the Lorenzo "smooth as butter, t-boned by Marquez" special edition

• lowmemorykiller improvements - greatly improved responsiveness
  • nfs, cifs back into kernel, but as modules

2013-05-07
    • re-enable limiting number of processes via sys.mem.max_hidden_apps (CM folks reverted it)
    • allow Kernel Same-page Merging (KSM) which can save ~15MB of ram at the expense of background scanning
    • back to smartassV2 governor
    • use a lower 32MB dalvik profile
    • allow a choice of no wallpaper to save ram in Trebuchet

2013-04-19
      • workaround slow wifi reconnections due to ar6000.ko binary module by using 5s wpa_supplicant scan timeout instead of 30s - please let me know if this causes wifi scan problems - 10s might be a safer default, but 5s works fine for me
      • doubled the area of the home/menu/back buttons - now extends well above and to the side of the silver printed icons
      • took nfs and smb support out of the kernel as ram and cpu is scarse
      • max hidden apps set to 10
      • other updates from CM and KonstaT

2013-04-01

• use Android 'legacy' VelocityTracker strategy which means less random jumps from the touchscreen
        • improve kernel msm_ts touchscreen driver - ignore noisy landing/takeoff touches, use real pressure
        • PIE, navbar, and partition info from cm10.1 upstream and KonstaT patches
        • FM volume control should be fixed
        • Effem (FM radio app) included
        • my statusbar/flingtracker fix is now upstream in cm (also fixed in Android 5)
        • zoomhack (pinch to zoom) improved in kernel msm_ts, but it's still not ready for daily use
        • changed default cpu governor back to ondemand as the VelocityTracker and msm_ts fixes seemed to improve lag & interactivity

2013-03-24

[*]fix for the StatusBar / SystemUI hang - turned out to be an AOSP bug with events that report identical times

2013-03-22

[*]initial release

[*]changed governor to smartassV2

[*]backported uhid driver from 3.8 kernel so that BT keyboard etc. work

[*]...

Many thanks to all those working on CyanogenMod and armv6 and especially to KonstaT and legaCyMod

My devices bricked.. Any assistance please

Guest Kukumtu

Yes i do have the recovery but the problem is ADB does not now recognize my device and the volume up and down keys used to scroll in recovery mode are not responding.

Guest PlaguedByPenguins

Yes i do have the recovery but the problem is ADB does not now recognize my device and the volume up and down keys used to scroll in recovery mode are not responding.

nothing should have happened to your recovery - if it worked before it should work now.

maybe try reformatting your SD card on a PC - perhaps the recovery tool is hung looking at a dodgy SD card.

resorting to FTM would probably be the next thing to try.

edit: ps. I am not an expert at unbricking - I've never had to do it - cwm has always worked for me. however there are many old forum posts that explain various unbricking approaches.

Edited by PlaguedByPenguins

Guest Kukumtu
nothing should have happened to your recovery - if it worked before it should work now. maybe try reformatting your SD card on a PC - perhaps the recovery tool is hung looking at a dodgy SD card. resorting to FTM would probably be the next thing to try. edit: ps. I am not an expert at unbricking - I've never had to do it - cwm has always worked for me. however there are many old forum posts that explain various unbricking approaches.

How do i revert back to FTM mode while in bricked position?? Unfortunately i can enter recovery mode but the volume keys used to are not responding.

Guest PlaguedByPenguins

new 2013-05-21 rom posted. mostly fixing USB mounting, but some small improvements too.

NOTE: upstream CyanogenMod 10.1 development is slowing down as the code becomes more stable, as is KonstaT's work on ZTE blade. I doubt I'll be making too many more releases, or at least the release rate should slow down a lot from now on.

Guest Morfiy_by
fix usb id string to allow usb mounting

again

The problem remains.

Will there be further implemented emulation gesture in the browser? It is a matter of one forum user 4PDA.ru

Everything else is wonderful. Not counting of course bluetooth:)

Edited by Morfiy_by

Guest ylitvinenko

Is there no chance to port this ROM to ZTE V9 with capacitive screen? Everything works fine except the touch screen - it works only when I press one of Home/Menu/Back buttons (it counts as pressing on the screen). I'm tired of using legacy CM7 on my device... Can you modify your ROM for capacitive screens or is it virtually impossible? I can help you if you need some testing... A lot of thanks for your great work.

Guest PlaguedByPenguins

The problem remains.

USB mounting works fine for me. maybe you have left over incorrect USB ids on your PC from when I had the wrong id string. try re-installing the android USB drivers on your PC.

Will there be further implemented emulation gesture in the browser? It is a matter of one forum user 4PDA.ru

actually gesture emulation (the double-finger drag up/down that emulates pinch zoom in/out) already works in Firefox - it must read the multi-touch events directly rather than letting Android process them.

if you want to turn on multi-touch then get android.hardware.touchscreen.multitouch.xml and add it to your v9 at

/system/etc/permissions/android.hardware.touchscreen.multitouch.xml

and mv the existing android.hardware.touchscreen.xml out of that directory.

all the -/+ zoom buttons will then go away from all apps and you'll have to use gestures instead. it's not something I'm going to ship in a rom for everyone as it doesn't work well enough IMHO.

Is there no chance to port this ROM to ZTE V9 with capacitive screen? Everything works fine except the touch screen - it works only when I press one of Home/Menu/Back buttons (it counts as pressing on the screen). I'm tired of using legacy CM7 on my device... Can you modify your ROM for capacitive screens or is it virtually impossible? I can help you if you need some testing... A lot of thanks for your great work.

I've already tried that with a guy from Brazil. I made about 3 or 4 roms for his v9c and nothing simple that I could think of (update/fix atmel touchscreen idc, rm msm idc, turn off msm_ts driver in kernel, etc.) worked at all. so it doesn't look like there's an easy fix. without a capacitive v9 in front of me I don't think it'll be possible for me to make it work, sorry.

if anyone has a spare v9c that they don't want any more then feel free to send it to me and I'll do my best to get it working (but no promises).

Edited by PlaguedByPenguins

Guest ylitvinenko

I've already tried that with a guy from Brazil. I made about 3 or 4 roms for his v9c and nothing simple that I could think of (update/fix atmel touchscreen idc, rm msm idc, turn off msm_ts driver in kernel, etc.) worked at all. so it doesn't look like there's an easy fix. without a capacitive v9 in front of me I don't think it'll be possible for me to make it work, sorry.

if anyone has a spare v9c that they don't want any more then feel free to send it to me and I'll do my best to get it working (but no promises).

Yesterday I remembered that one old and very unstable CM9 ROM for V9 from 4PDA.RU worked with capacitive screen well. If I find that ROM and give you a link, could you take a look?

Guest Morfiy_by

Drivers put on a clean system, before that I did not try to connect the tablet to a PC. This is not only my one and everyone from whom I ask. I will ask colleagues 4pda try to reinstall the drivers. Can we all drivers are not the ones you can link to those who are here?

Thanks for the explanation about the browser. Another pinch / zoom works fine in Opera Mini and Opera Mobile (New).

Edited by Morfiy_by

Guest ylitvinenko

Yesterday I remembered that one old and very unstable CM9 ROM for V9 from 4PDA.RU worked with capacitive screen well. If I find that ROM and give you a link, could you take a look?

I've just found and uploaded ZTE V9 ROM with capacitive screen support: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93663597/ics4.0.4_KANG_2012_04_09_057.zip. Unfortunately, its developer went out of a firmware producing, and this ROM is very buggy and unstable. What can you say about it? It is possible to reverse-engineer it?

Guest PlaguedByPenguins

I've just found and uploaded ZTE V9 ROM with capacitive screen support: https://dl.dropboxus...2_04_09_057.zip. Unfortunately, its developer went out of a firmware producing, and this ROM is very buggy and unstable. What can you say about it? It is possible to reverse-engineer it?

I've already looked that that rom and couldn't get anything useful out of it, sorry. configs in it look much like cm7, but without a capacitive device to boot it on I can't tell anything else. all it tells us is that presumably something changed/broke in android between ics and jb.

Guest Morfiy_by

By the way, I want to recommend a good keyboard with firmware 2.1. I use to this day. Unlike all the characters and capital letters gestures, plus you can put a pair of brackets - the convenience of the introduction of bb-codes.

http://rghost.ru/46318975

post-1013669-0-70095700-1369733732_thumb

Edited by Morfiy_by

Guest naifah

USB mounting works fine for me. maybe you have left over incorrect USB ids on your PC from when I had the wrong id string. try re-installing the android USB drivers on your PC.

actually gesture emulation (the double-finger drag up/down that emulates pinch zoom in/out) already works in Firefox - it must read the multi-touch events directly rather than letting Android process them.

if you want to turn on multi-touch then get android.hardware.touchscreen.multitouch.xml and add it to your v9 at

/system/etc/permissions/android.hardware.touchscreen.multitouch.xml

and mv the existing android.hardware.touchscreen.xml out of that directory.

all the -/+ zoom buttons will then go away from all apps and you'll have to use gestures instead. it's not something I'm going to ship in a rom for everyone as it doesn't work well enough IMHO.

u mean like a pinch zoom?worked?

Guest amirsokar2

touch screen working fine in my ZTE V9 ROM with capacitive screen, make the following:-

1-download cm-10.1-20130521-PenguinKANG-v9.zip

2-download Attached file

3-extract file in step no.2 and copy it and past it in (system/lib) in Zip File And Apply to replace

4-flash the rom and enjoy with touch screen

Sorry for bad English

libinput ZTE V9capacitive screen .zip

Edited by amirsokar2