MoDaCo is undergoing planned maintenance. Site functionality may be reduced - follow @modaco or @paulobrien on Twitter for updates.

• Announcements

• Reminder - MoDaCo position on illegal content

ILLEGAL CONTENT I'd like to just reaffirm MoDaCo's position regarding piracy and illegal content in the light of some recent questions / postings. Posts will be censored by myself or my moderation team if the contain or link to: Illegal / pirated / cracked software or sites that host such software
      Nintendo emulators / ROMs or sites hosting them (in light of Nintendo's legal stance)

CUSTOM ROMS

You may discuss and post links to custom device ROMs on MoDaCo, provided the following rules are adhered to: ROMs must not be hosted directly in topic via the MoDaCo attachment system
      ROMs must not contain any illegal 3rd party software (this includes trial versions included without permission)
      ROMs must give full credit to the original author
      This decision has been taken in light of the huge amount of interest in this area of device customisation within the community, and member feedback! Please note that custom ROM discussion should be kept in specific device sub-areas, (e.g. Kaiser.MoDaCo.com for Kaiser based devices). ISSUES If you have any issues with this policy, please contact me directly via PM. P
    • Support MoDaCo by signing up to a MoDaCo Silver or Gold membership

To sign up to an annual MoDaCo Silver subscription which will eliminate all ads from the site (as well as giving you access to the MoDaCo Online Kitchens for Android) for only £9.99 using PayPal, Credit or Debit Card, ensure you are logged in to the site, and then click the link below, which will take you directly to the subscription store! You can also sign up to an annual MoDaCo Gold subscription for £29.99, which adds the benefits listed below! PURCHASE A MODACO SUBSCRIPTION - FREE Titanium Backup Mobile for Android worth $5.99! - FREE 1 year PrivateInternetAccess.com worth $39.95! - FREE 1 year LastPass Premium worth $12! - FREE CalcConvert for Pocket PC from Binaryfish worth $17.95! - FREE Calendar Bar for Pocket PC from OmegaOne worth $9.99! - FREE CamerAware for Pocket PC and Smartphone from MoDaCo worth £19.99 / $30! - FREE Chronos for Pocket PC from ActiveKitten worth $14.95! - FREE CodeWallet Pro for Smartphone and Pocket PC from DeveloperOne worth up to $24.95! - FREE Concentrix for Pocket PC from eSoft Interactive worth $9.95! - FREE FlexMail for Pocket PC and Smartphone from WebIS worth up to $59.90! - FREE FTouchSL for Pocket PC from Vekoff s.r.o. worth 10 euro / $12.50! - FREE Jewel Challenge for Pocket PC from eSoft Interactive worth $9.95! - FREE John Cody's Alerts Pro for Smartphone from Omnisoft worth $14.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Talking Dictionary 2008 English <-> Dutch for Pocket PC from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Talking Dictionary 2008 English <-> French for Pocket PC from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Talking Dictionary 2008 English <-> German for Pocket PC from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Talking Dictionary 2008 English <-> Italian for Pocket PC from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Talking Dictionary 2008 English <-> Spanish for Pocket PC from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Dictionary English <-> Dutch for Smartphone from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Dictionary English <-> French for Smartphone from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Dictionary English <-> German for Smartphone from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Dictionary English <-> Russian for Smartphone from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Dictionary English <-> Turkish for Smartphone from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE Note2Self for Pocket PC and Smartphone from WebIS worth up to $19.90! - FREE Opera 8.60 for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Opera Software worth up to $48! - FREE Pocket Informant for Pocket PC and Smartphone from WebIS worth up to $59.90! - FREE Pocket Launcher for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Conduits worth $9.95! - FREE PTab for Pocket PC and Smartphone from z4soft worth up to $60! - FREE Resco Explorer for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Resco worth up to $49.90! - FREE Safemode for Pocket PC from monocube worth $12.95 - FREE SplashPhoto for Pocket PC and Smartphone from SplashData worth up to $59.90! - FREE Sprite Backup for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Sprite Software worth $29.95! - FREE Teksoft Glyphs UI for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Teksoft €9.95! - FREE Teksoft HeadsetRemote for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Teksoft €4.95! - FREE Traffic Jam for Pocket PC from eSoft Interactive worth $9.95! - FREE unlock (1 per year) from imei-check.co.uk - DISCOUNT of 10% at MoDaCo FairDeal - DISCOUNT of 10% at Semsons.com - FORUM - AD FREE SITE - FORUM - custom rank / title - FORUM - double competition entries - FORUM - double post attachment space - FORUM - no search flood control - FORUM - priority event registration - FORUM - triple PM space
    • Reminder: Selling items on the forum directly is not allowed

Please note that selling items on the forum directly is not allowed by the forum rules. There is a forum for eBay auctions whereby you can list the items on eBay and link to them there. This is the ONLY forum for this type of activity. You may also advertise links to the eBay forum in your signature. Please note that selling directly in contravention of these rules will result in a warning / suspensions / ban.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

All those with cracked casings, please post photos and explain further.

83 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hello :)

I have been reading a few comments - and I mean a [b]few, [/b]about people having had their San Diego cases cracking. Does anyone here have this experience? I would like to gain a balanced and realistic view on this, preferably with pictures if you could, to back this up. Is this really a big deal, or are people expecting more from their 'phone than is realistic ([u]are they giving them rough treatment[/u]? Notice how people will rarely admit to this, with total accuracy and honesty)

If you have a cracked San Diego, would you mind posting some details as to:

[b][color=#ff0000] #1: How long you owned the device before this was noticed?[/color]

[color=#ff8c00] #2: How you treated the San Diego - please be honest - was it treated carefully, or just thrown around?[/color]

[color=#ffd700] #3: Would you mind posting *close up* photos of the fractures?[/color][/b]

Thank you so much, I appreciate the feedback :)

Have a lovely weekend. Edited by glossywhite

Posted · Report post

Why are you interested in this?

Thanks,

[quote name='alexquant' timestamp='1364065689' post='2105620']
Why are you interested in this?

Thanks,
[/quote]

I am trying to ascertain some facts, to make an informed purchase decision.

[EDIT]

Of all the people who have stated that they have a cracked case, not one single person has backed it up with a photograph of the fault, which is slightly puzzling to me; if I wanted to warn people of something, then the old phrase "a picture speaks a thousand words" makes sense, in this context. :)

Posted · Report post

Perhaps you should be asking if the people who have had problems have removed the back at all. Mine is in perfect condition but I've never removed the back.

You do know that you appear to be accusing people of being liars?

[quote name='BlueMoonRising' timestamp='1364071258' post='2105655']
Perhaps you should be asking if the people who have had problems have removed the back at all. Mine is in perfect condition but I've never removed the back.

[b]You do know that you appear to be accusing people of being liars?[/b]
[/quote]

Possibly you are reading slightly too much into my motives, which, with respect, you do not know. I am not at all, I am asking as to the level of the faults, so I can base my decision upon this, along with other things.

Thank you :) Edited by glossywhite

Posted · Report post

These cracks are virtually invisible, they will cause you no problem

Posted · Report post

[quote name='BlueMoonRising' timestamp='1364071258' post='2105655']Perhaps you should be asking if the people who have had problems have removed the back at all. Mine is in perfect condition but I've never removed the back.

You do know that you appear to be accusing people of being liars?[/quote]

Same here, had it two months and it looks like I have just taken it out the box, I have no intention of pulling the back off as the storage is fine for me, and by doing it you must weaken it structurally

Andrew

Posted · Report post

Yes I can confirm that. My casing was rock solid but, the moment I removed the back, the fit is not so flush and I have a small hairline crack in the bezel, no doubt from my heavy handed case removal :(

Posted · Report post

[quote name='grizzlyflea' timestamp='1364074530' post='2105679']
These cracks are virtually invisible, they will cause you no problem
[/quote]
[quote name='Andymac1969' timestamp='1364075014' post='2105682']
Same here, had it two months and it looks like I have just taken it out the box, I have no intention of pulling the back off as the storage is fine for me, and by doing it you must weaken it structurally

Andrew
[/quote]
[quote name='codroid' timestamp='1364075894' post='2105688']
Yes I can confirm that. My casing was rock solid but, the moment I removed the back, the fit is not so flush and I have a small hairline crack in the bezel, no doubt from my heavy handed case removal :(
[/quote]

Thank you chaps, and possibly ladies :). I'll take all this into account, and I appreciate your verbatim answers.

Have a lovely night :)

Posted · Report post

[quote name='glossywhite' timestamp='1364076277' post='2105693']

Thank you chaps, and possibly ladies :). I'll take all this into account, and I appreciate your verbatim answers.

Have a lovely night :)
[/quote]Weren't you mean to have your phone today (as it's Saturday)?
I have two hairlines cracked on the side of the phone. Between the silver strip and the face of the phone. I keep my phone in perfect condition and have had it for 8 months.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='i am not a hacker' timestamp='1364076749' post='2105696']
Weren't you mean to have your phone today (as it's Saturday)?
I have two hairlines cracked on the side of the phone. Between the silver strip and the face of the phone. I keep my phone in perfect condition and have had it for 8 months.
[/quote]

I was supposed to, but it will now wait until life is out of the way; a week's time :)

Posted · Report post

[quote name='i am not a hacker' timestamp='1364076749' post='2105696']
Weren't you mean to have your phone today (as it's Saturday)?
[/quote]
You enabled the sd slot did you not?

Posted · Report post

No I didn't. I can a manage with the storage provided

Posted · Report post

[quote name='i am not a hacker' timestamp='1364122241' post='2105801']
No I didn't. I can a manage with the storage provided
[/quote]So you've never opened up the back even once?

Posted · Report post

Nope, haven't even tried. Why would I need to?

Posted · Report post

[attachment=86912:1.jpeg][attachment=86913:2.jpeg][attachment=86914:3.jpeg][attachment=86915:4.jpeg]

I must confess, this is a [i]cracking [/i]lil' mobile! :P

@BlueMoonRising:

You should be a detective; you've got a suspicious mind. :) Edited by glossywhite

Posted · Report post

[quote name='glossywhite' timestamp='1364310659' post='2106609']
I must confess, this is a [i]cracking [/i]lil' mobile! :P

[/quote]

Everyone a winner :P

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Andymac1969' timestamp='1364311205' post='2106614']
Everyone a winner :P
[/quote]

Some of them are...

[img]http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01207/PF-michael-winner_1207624c.jpg[/img]

Posted · Report post

I have a couple of cracks on my OSD, if I'm honest I only noticed them after seeing a thread about it. I had noticed the crack beforehand, but had thought it was just an imperfection in the plastic.

I am very careful with phones, other devices etc. So the cracks are not down to me being rough with the phone. However, I would like to add that I removed the back a few times, for a look, and to test a microSD then to install the one in there now. So its entirely possible that the cracks were created due to the gentle force required to remove the back.

Couple of pictures, its very hard to see cracks in the black bezel. I think the pics accurately represent what it looks like in person;

[img]http://imageshack.us/a/img593/8673/osdcracks01.jpg[/img]

[img]http://imageshack.us/a/img28/5999/osdcracks02.jpg[/img]

[quote name='i am not a hacker' timestamp='1364128600' post='2105850']
Nope, haven't even tried. Why would I need to?
[/quote]No reason, it's just that you spoilt my growing conviction that it was only people who have opened it up that have had problems.

Considering that most have opened it up who have had problems I would suggest that anybody else who is going to should do so very carefully.
Perhaps if you lay a thin cloth on a hard surface and work around from the SIM slot while trying to keep it flat to the surface will reduce any flexing of the bezel and trim.

Edit:- lay it face down obviously Edited by BlueMoonRising

Posted · Report post

Isn't it Gigabyte who make this handset? I was always told (but [i]never[/i] believed it) that Gigabyte were a top quality manufacturer...

Posted · Report post

I'd actually suggest starting at the headphone jack, the little gap there was how I got the back off. Never had any luck starting at the sim card slot.

Posted · Report post

Looks like I've joined the "Gorilla glass, monkey plastic" club:

[url="http://www.modaco.com/topic/361772-plastic-cracked-already-ive-only-had-it-three-days/#entry2109321"]http://www.modaco.com/topic/361772-plastic-cracked-already-ive-only-had-it-three-days/#entry2109321[/url]

Posted · Report post

I hadn't noticed until I read this thread then had a close look! But yep, the black plastic is cracked on both sides between the silver strip and the screen, and the silver plastic is cracked in 3 places on the left hand side, and one place on the right hand side. Not good!! I've never taken the back off, and have had since Xmas. I do have a bad habit of having it in my back jeans pocket tho, so that must put some curvature stress on it when i sit down, even tho I'm not actually sat on it!