[Q]Any AOSP ICS build on forum?

Guest Wincik

Guest Wincik

Hello,

I want find "clear" ICS build, but there is nothing. For the building (for example) CM9 devs used stock ROM or compile own from AOSP? Thx

Guest Dazzozo

CM9 isn't something "created" for this device, it's built off the CM tree which is based on AOSP.

There's no "clear" AOSP builds yet, but they're not particularly challenging to do. You just need the hardware support and the device stuff.

Guest kyan31
CM9 isn't something "created" for this device, it's built off the CM tree which is based on AOSP.

There's no "clear" AOSP builds yet, but they're not particularly challenging to do. You just need the hardware support and the device stuff.

Daz, what skills would you actually need to build from source anyway? I've always thought about doing it, but my laptop doesn't meet the requirements. I'm getting a new one though, so if building from source is doable, I might as well try it.

Guest Dazzozo

Skills to build? Very few, but it depends what you're building. At the moment ics is the only thing we can build without a bunch of patches.

Building itself is entering a few commands and waiting a while.

Guest kyan31

Skills to build? Very few, but it depends what you're building. At the moment ics is the only thing we can build without a bunch of patches.

Building itself is entering a few commands and waiting a while.

Do you think a 14 year old would be able to do it, it sounds too easy to be true to be honest.

And when I mean 'do it', I mean getting an actual booting rom. All the other stuff can be thought about later, booting is the most important step.

Edited by kyan31

Guest Dazzozo

Most likely unless it's CM10.1, which is a complete mess at the moment because of the external repos and patches we need.

CM10 needs some patches but it boots without.

Guest raverrr

The spec of your laptop doesn't really matter I've heard of it being done on a netbook. Any half decent computer running Linux will manage it. I'm trying to learn myself. I'm very close to an aokp build. Just a few things left to do. The lappy I'm using has 3gig ram only hour and 20 minutes or so to build rom and kernel.

Guest razzmataz1478

Hmm that doesn't sound too bad, I have 1 gig of ram though and a 1.86 GHz processor (dual core) is that enough

Probably not. Your laptop will probably crash with only 1GB of RAM

Guest thejaimes111

Probably not. Your laptop will probably crash with only 1GB of RAM

Yes, have 2Gb ram and it runs out of ram.

Anyway creating a swap partition solves it, and I can compile :)

Guest george109

I have a 4 gb dell with windows 8 and that is fine with compiling ROMs even if it's a bit slow :)

EDIT: I've made a silly mistake, ignore that!

Edited by george109

Guest kyan31

Kyan31, Try this guide, I'm trying to follow it at the moment! -> [GUIDE] [how to] CREATE OWN ROM [FOR ANY ANDROID DEVICE] [FOR N00B] [EASIEST METHODS] - xda-developers

George, that's not for compiling from source. Compiling from source means to make a ROM from scratch. That method is the easy noob method, which involves you grabbing some mods of XDA and putting them in a stock ROM. I wan't to move on with developing, so this isn't what i'm looking for.

P.s I already have 2 ROMs out now, so I won't be needing the guide anyway :P

Edited by kyan31

Guest kyan31

I have a 4 gb dell with windows 8 and that is fine with compiling ROMs even if it's a bit slow smile.png

If your using a tool such as DSIXDA's tool, that's not actually the same as compiling a ROM such as CM. Compiling a rom with the XDA tool will take maybe, 7 minutes. Compiling a rom from source such as CM will take over an hour as it is not the same thing :)

Guest george109

Actually it would be quite interesting to see if I can compile a ROM from source. I would be over the moon if it even booted! :P

Edited by george109

Guest kyan31
Oops! well we all are n00bs sometimes aren't we! :)

Nice to see you moving on, keep up the good work on the ROMs!

Thanks, and good luck on your projects :)

Guest tillaz

first thing you want to do is is get a Linux distro on your PC if your running windows

best hassle free option (use 12.10)

http://www.ubuntu.co...ndows-installer

then set up your build environment, you can follow this Guide up to >> III. The sources

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1971645

stop at this point, as things get specific for you and your device / what your building

your build environment should be set up though, which is a start

Guest george109
first thing you want to do is is get a Linux distro on your PC if your running windows

best hassle free option (use 12.10)

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/windows-installer

then set up your build environment, you can follow this Guide up to >> III. The sources

stop at this point, as things get specific for you and your device / what your building

your build environment should be set up though, which is a start

I'm using a live USB! Microsoft's windows 8 fast start (where it closes everything and then hibernates ) and their new boot loader means any 3rd party OS will trash windows 8. DO NOT INSTALL LINUX WITH WINDOWS 8! My friend learnt that the hard way and had to reinstall windows as I think it corrupts the bootloader...

Edited by george109

Guest tillaz

I'm using a live USB! Microsoft's windows 8 fast start (where it closes everything and then hibernates ) and their new boot loader means any 3rd party OS will trash windows 8. DO NOT INSTALL LINUX WITH WINDOWS 8! My friend learnt that the hard way and had to reinstall windows as I think it corrupts the bootloader...

i wouldn't know about windows 8, but its what i use on windows 7

the link i gave also has instructions for what to do if your using windows 8, would be surprised if its dangerous ?

Have a new PC with the Windows 8 logo or using UEFI firmware?

Please use a 64-bit flavour of Ubuntu, installed directly to its own partition

rather than using the Windows installer.

Learn more ›

Guest Wincik

U can use Wubi installer. ;) But Wubi can use only 30GB and source AOSP download me 12GB :D U can have a problem with using Cache.

Edited by Wincik