Newbie G300, few problems

Guest microscope

Guest microscope

Posted this in wrong forum apparently, repeated here, help please if you can!

hi Sorry if this is all old-hat, did search various posts, newbie android user.

I've updated to the latest Cyanogen module. my playstore and google were not available after.

i had to uninstall playstore, (can't reinstall for some reason) but now since then every time I try to download an app, it says compatible, will be sent to your phone shortly, (both via computer and wifi I've tried) but they never appear.

is there anything I might have turned off (background data is not restricted) to stop them coming through?

I also have a problem now as turning on email sync isn't working. Any suggestions?

Lastly something is draining my credit by a few pence every day when i turn on the phone. What might it be?

Apologies if these questions are irritating, but if anyone can help/offer suggestions, would be terrific. love the phone incidentally for anyone looking for something under £100, but these niggles are frustrating!

Guest Liesse

Yes. Sounds like you need to install G Apps after you install the rom. You flash it the same way you did the rom, via your recovery. If you get stuck this is the friendliest hand holding guide I've seen.

Guest microscope

Thanks for reply, I managed to download something to my computer from google site for cyanogen for Android 4.1.2 but didn't offer link to send to phone after downloading 90mb or so worth of it.

Tried red google reader said will be sent to phone, same result tonight, nothing! Trying not to throw the wretched thing!!! It was working fine on the previous Cyanogen until this latest update

Edited by microscope

Guest microscope

George and all who have replied, thanks, George thats what I downloaded to my computer. Any ideas how to get it from there to the phone? Dummy question i realise!

Edited by microscope

Guest george109

Don't worry, we all have to start somewhere!

There are 2 ways to get it across

1. Have phone on normally and then plug in the USB cable, go into the notification bar and then click the USB storage one then click mount USB storage then click yes or OK and then go into computer/my computer on the PC then go into the one that is the external SD card (I think the internal one is 2.3 gigabytes or something like that) then copy and paste GAPPS into the SD card. now wait until it's done and safely remove hardware. now go back to the phone and go back into USB mounts and unmount

2. Boot to recovery (power and volume up I think) and plug into the PC then go down to mounts and storage and then mount USB storage and then copy and paste on the PC and then press home when you are done then go back to the main menu and go advanced then reboot recovery

TO FLASH:

go down to backup and restore and then press backup, wait and then reboot recovery again (there is a bug where CWM recovery can't mount /system after a backup or a flash) now go apply zip from SD card and then go to the first option and then find the Google apps (GAPPS) zip file and then press home to flash. reboot and set up the phone. if there are any problems go back to recovery and go to wipe system / factory reset and then wipe cache then go advanced, wipe dalvik cache and then wipe battery stats, reboot recovery and then flash again.

Sorry for any typos, I'm on my phone!

Guest microscope

Hi george, superb, i was doing great up till the end of point one. 'boot to recovery' at the start of point two, not sure what you mean, should i have closed down in a different way perhaps to just power off?

(I'm not actually sure the GAPPS had copied and pasted onto the SD card though it appeared to on the computer screen nothing seemed to happen on the phone) and 'no downloads' was there when i clicked on SD card storage.

in point two i'm lost as to when to put the SD card back in? Hopefully copy and paste, and home will be self explanatory when i get there!

Sorry it's like you teaching a five year old, I'm useless!

It might be tomorrow before i get back to you if you do reply to this, not ignoring you, gone half 12 here! meantime thanks!

Edited by microscope

Guest george109

as I said, don't worry, we all have to start somewhere! You don't need to take the SD card out at all to get to recovery you need to turn off the phone and unplug it. take the battery out and then put it back I. after 5 seconds then hold down the volume UP button and then the power button keep holding it until you get to recovery mode!

P.S I have been very unclear, you only need to follow 1 of the numbers, those are ways to get the file across, if you are using number 1. then just skip to 'to flash' ignore Number 2

Guest microscope

I spent about an hour and a half last night doing all the reboots etc (about 9 minutes each, as you'll know!!) and when i booted up for the final time.... Nothing new on phone!! Don't know if my computer hasn't synched the software or something, but it indicated that the download zip file had been sent to phone as per your suggestions... Had a very stiff drink at that point!

Anyway thanks for your help, if you do think of anything else i can try let me know.

At least I have getjar still so i can look for alternative apps

EDIT: Have now found copy of Gapps ics 20120429 is on phone!

It's in an app called File manager but when i click on it "There is no application registered to handle the type of file selected" comes up... Next?? :)

Edited by microscope

Guest Liesse

It's in an app called File manager but when i click on it "There is no application registered to handle the type of file selected" comes up... Next?? :)

You have to flash GApps through your recovery application. You can't do it from within Android.

Turn the phone on with volume up pressed. Keep it held down til you get into recovery. You MUST have had your recovery installed to get CM flashed. Clockwork recovery?

Flash it the same way you flashed your ROM. 'Install zip from external SD card" and then reboot from recovery. If you can#t get GApps onto yoru phone, then take the SD card out of your phone, put into your PC and copy it that way. Then put the SD back in your phone.

If you're not sure what clockwork recovery is, then I'd urge you to stop. Don't do anything else until you are comfortable getting into recovery, and rebooting the phone from it.

The recovery is the thing that makes it so you can always flash a new rom to your phone, no matter how you screw it up. If you can always get back to the recovery, you should have little to worry about. Get comfortable with it. You should know how to find a zip file on your SD card using the menu and install it from here.

Go here, here and maybe even here for more on clockwork.

Edited by Liesse

Guest microscope

Cheers Liesse thanks for help! i understand most (clockwork recovery is the list of options in yellow above the 'hat', in recovery, right or wrong?)

But what is Flash, everyone uses it but it means nothing to me, how do I find file and flash it while in recovery? How does it know which file I'm talking to it about.. II know I'm sounding ridiculous! :)

Edited by microscope

Guest Liesse

Flash = install the file.

Clockwork Recovery = the recovery program itself.

You find a file by navigating the menus from within recovery. Please look at this guide ( a little out of date, but you can never read too much) again as it does explain all the steps in the recovery part.

You need to use the menus from within recovery to select the Gapps file and install it. Just the same way you installed your custom ROM. How did you install your rom if you're not comfortable navigating the menus in clockwork?

Please, don't start messing about with your phone until you are comfortable with recovery. Get used to going in and out of it from a power off. Get used to paging through the menus in it. Get used to looking at the menus and then backing out without making changes.

There are so many tutorials that tell you how to do this in a step by step manner. This is my attempt to break it down for you.

• Get into clockwork. Turn phone on with VOL UP pressed until recovery screen appears. If this does not work, do you have recovery installed?
  • Instructions for navigating in clockwork are at the top of the screen in my version of clockwork.The version I use is here.
  • Navigate to the 'install ZIP' choice. Second one down in the menu in my version of clockwork recovery. Select it,
  • Navigate to "Chose zip from external SD". First choice in the menu for me. select it.
  • You should see a lit of directories and files on your SD. Select the GoogleApps file you downloaded. Select it. (You should install your ROM first in exactly the same way if you have not done so. Flash GAps after)
  • Confirm that you want to install it. Let it install fully
  • After install Reboot phone. Wait 15 minutes. Phone shoudl be normal or at welcome screen.

If no joy, get back into clockwork recovery (battery pull if necessary). Make sure you have the ROM and GAPS on your SD card (if necessary, take card out of phone and copy the files across via PC) Find the 'wipe data'/factory reset option and use it. Use the 'wipe cache' option. Install Rom, then install Gapps and reboot phone from within recovery.

If that doesn't work, download another rom, install that the same way with GApps after it.

You did take a backup of your fully working rom from within clockwork before you did ANYTHING, didn't you? If you did, this should have also given you a backup to install if all else fails.

Please make sure you have read more than one guide on how to do this before you do anything.

Edited by Liesse

Guest microscope

Super stuff Liesse!

I didn't get the phone quite new, but the previous owner installed the Custom Cyanogen.

CM Updater searches once a month (my choice) and came up with the two available updates the other day. in my naivete I selected install for one of them (on wifi) and it just did it all, the apps on the phone were all adapted and after a few minutes it was all there, though Playstore/Google wouldn't work hence this thread!

Previous owner had inserted the previous version of the file i downloaded last night as suggested by george - so clearly it worked for previous owner to get from there to playstore working.

I'm comfortable now to go through your excellent step by step guide it makes sense to me now (I think!!). I'll have a go later this evening or tomorrow.

My only slight worry would be going in one move as it were from 'choose zip' to 'select file'.

It didn't come up for me last night. mine doesn't use the hat symbol for anything, but the 'four lines' icon bottom left puts it in to next mode, below the screen. not sure how i have the option to go through those two steps without it rebooting inbetween.

Sorry edited, playstore not playstation of course!

Edited by microscope

Guest Liesse

Ah. Id you didn't install the custom ROM yourself, I see why the confusion.

Please take a look here for a guide with all the steps needed.

Not sure what you mean by a hat symbol. Clockwork should all be menu driven.

You move to the menu option you want, then select it. Just moving to it won't do anything.

Good luck.

I might confuse you even more by suggesting that your phone might have an older version of clockwork on it. Once you get your phone working again: You might get more joy from installing the latest Daz&Falghaus version from the thread I linked to above. They make the CM port you are using and the recovery alongside it; the two are designed to work together. You get a new clockwork version by flashing it from clockwork (sounds odd, I know, but it works).

Guest george109

I spent about an hour and a half last night doing all the reboots etc (about 9 minutes each, as you'll know!!) and when i booted up for the final time.... Nothing new on phone!! Don't know if my computer hasn't synched the software or something, but it indicated that the download zip file had been sent to phone as per your suggestions... Had a very stiff drink at that point!

Anyway thanks for your help, if you do think of anything else i can try let me know.

At least I have getjar still so i can look for alternative apps

EDIT: Have now found copy of Gapps ics 20120429 is on phone!

Right, Get that zip and copy it to the top level of the SD Card using your pc, using USB mounting and follow the guide here for more info -> http://huaweig300.com/huawei-g300-install-a-custom-jelly-bean-ics-rom-from-scratch/install-the-custom-rom/ and start from step 5 in windows instructions. IGNORE THE FILE NAME, IT DOES NOT MATTER! just replace it

Guest george109

The file is offering three options for access, safe mode, prompt user mode and root access mode. Is it the root access?

Depends, when you open file manager do you get folders like storage, sys, mnt and system? If you do, that is root access.

To get to the sdcard go storage -> sdcard1

Edited by george109

Guest microscope

i get a list of files when i open file manager.

When I tick the file I've downloaded, and then the options key on the bottom left, it comes up General Settings Search options Themes...

So i click general settings and one of the things is 'advanced'; offers me 3 access modes, currently safe mode but I have the options to choose safe, prompt user or root access.

"App is running wothout priveleges and only accessible file systems are the storage volumes (SD cards and USB)."

i thought maybe if i choose root access it would give me access to the missing playstore etc??

Edited by microscope

Guest george109

You don't need root access, you can choose it, but to get to the SD card, with root, you need to go to storage -> sdcard1 That will take you to the external SD card

sdcard0 = Internal SD Card

sdcard1 = External SD Card

I really don't know what prompt user is, sorry, I would guess that it asks you every time it goes into a root area.

To copy, don't use the option button, use the 4 squares above the options button. That catches me out a lot too! It's very silly, i would much rather have it the other way round.

Edited by george109

Guest george109

i get a list of files when i open file manager.

When I tick the file I've downloaded, and then the options key on the bottom left, it comes up General Settings Search options Themes...

So i click general settings and one of the things is 'advanced'; offers me 3 access modes, currently safe mode but I have the options to choose safe, prompt user or root access.

"App is running wothout priveleges and only accessible file systems are the storage volumes (SD cards and USB)."

i thought maybe if i choose root access it would give me access to the missing playstore etc??

Does it say

"App is running without privileges and only accessible file systems are the storage volumes (SD cards and USB)."

When you choose root access mode? If it says that, you are probably not rooted

Guest Liesse

MICROSCOPE: it sounds like you're trying to open the file you downloaded from within android. Or even windows. You need run it from within your recovery program on your phone. The only way you are going to get your missing playstore back is to flash the correct version of Google Apps from recovery. This will add the missing programs.

Please read some of the linked guides for more help.

Guest microscope

Much to all your reliefs and with my warmest thanks to all of you, i THINK I've done it. At last! I will go to a wifi tomorrow and try a few things just to make sure.

Great team at Modaco, i would never have worked my way through all that on my own! Thanks again....

The problem was that in recovery, clicking on install from SD card did not then bring up the menu to select the file, not even sure now what i did in the end to get it up in there, but everything seems to be ok now

Edited by microscope